• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

Everyone wants something between their Teebird and Destroyer.

I used to think I wanted something in between those 2, but I really don't anymore. I mean, I can get TeeBirds out to about 360 and Destroyers out to about 400 on golf lines. Do I really need a disc to cover that 40 foot gap? I can take a little off a Destroyer throw and get there pretty easily right now. (Waiting for someone to tell me I don't have the arm for Destroyers and should be "discing down" in 5, 4, 3...)

I bet you'd get 400' or more just as easily with a Wraith and add space for at least one new disc to the bag but everyone's different. Personally, I can get a Wraith (fairly consistently) out to 390'+ (425' max on the flat) but I gave up on the Destroyer because I rarely broke 370' with it.

yeah I think its a home-run despite all the OLF/PD trolling going on. Everyone wants something between their Teebird and Destroyer. Hopefully this is it...again

I wouldn't call it trolling.. just comparing/speculating with molds we anticipate both feeling and flying the same. I for one am excited. I didn't think i'd like the T3. Love it.

Glad too see Innova putting out a driver that isn't warp speed. I completely understand Innova wanting to capitalize with their name exclusively on a disc similar to PD/OLF. At stores like Dick's, REI, and Sports Authority you generally can't pick up anything but Innova.

I still would rather have a G* OLF. Probably won't pick one of these unless it turns out to fly like an OLF clone.

Agree.. i'll definately still try one, but would rather a G OLF.

I used to think I wanted something in between those 2, but I really don't anymore. I mean, I can get TeeBirds out to about 360 and Destroyers out to about 400 on golf lines. Do I really need a disc to cover that 40 foot gap? I can take a little off a Destroyer throw and get there pretty easily right now. (Waiting for someone to tell me I don't have the arm for Destroyers and should be "discing down" in 5, 4, 3...)

You should just throw Zones until you can get them out past 400' accurately on a hyzer-flip turn over line.

I wouldn't call it trolling.. just comparing/speculating with molds we anticipate both feeling and flying the same. I for one am excited. I didn't think i'd like the T3. Love it.

Agree.. i'll definately still try one, but would rather a G OLF.

Yeah G-OLF would get my attention.

I think this thing will be more along the lines of a stable SOS or Valkyrie-X. Those things never got approved but people loved the flight.

Hoping that it is a seasoned firebird. They are very hard to replace and to have a stock disc that flies like it would be great.

I find a seasoned FB or light weight early 12x champ with a little dome, to be a very useful disc for BH shots on certian holes/couses.

The GStar PD has been filling that slot well for me recently, and find the two to be pretty interchangable. The 169-171 PFN 12x FBs have a little more glide compared to the G-PD.

If I had to give flight numbers to the 12x FB I'm talking about, I would rate it 9/4/0/2.5 so very close to this new Thunderbird.

That particular run of FB is pretty easy to find at my PIAS used, and folks on the interwebs don't really value them, so its not been overly difficult to find backups/replacments.

...That being said, they tend to be ugly and weird colors. So having a sexy new mold that is easy to replace will be tits. Hopefully Innova hits the target with the slot/numbers. I think the glide is what will set it apart from the PD/OLF. (if comparing Champ plastic to Champ plastic)

I find a seasoned FB or light weight early 12x champ with a little dome, to be a very useful disc for BH shots on certian holes/couses.

The GStar PD has been filling that slot well for me recently, and find the two to be pretty interchangable. The 169-171 PFN 12x FBs have a little more glide compared to the G-PD.

If I had to give flight numbers to the 12x FB I'm talking about, I would rate it 9/4/0/2.5 so very close to this new Thunderbird.

That particular run of FB is pretty easy to find at my PIAS used, and folks on the interwebs don't really value them, so its not been overly difficult to find backups/replacments.

...That being said, they tend to be ugly and weird colors. So having a sexy new mold that is easy to replace will be tits. Hopefully Innova hits the target with the slot/numbers. I think the glide is what will set it apart from the PD/OLF. (if comparing Champ plastic to Champ plastic)

Those firebirds are my main throwers. Just not in the light weights.

If this was an MVP release, this thread would be about how everyone was going to pre-order like a dozen of them.

I agree with this.

I will be buying three of these for sure as this is the driver I've been wanting for quite some time now. Innova heard my pleas I guess.

;):clap:

I bet you'd get 400' or more just as easily with a Wraith and add space for at least one new disc to the bag but everyone's different. Personally, I can get a Wraith (fairly consistently) out to 390'+ (425' max on the flat) but I gave up on the Destroyer because I rarely broke 370' with it.

And there's that "disc down" comment right on schedule! ;) Honestly I haven't thrown a Wraith in a long time, so I don't know what they'd do for me now. I think I probably could get Wraiths out that far on a hyzer flip, but it comes down to preference on release angle. On max D golf lines I get more power more consistently when I'm releasing the disc about flat. In my experience with Wraiths, I'd need to release with a bit more hyzer than a Destroyer to get a similar distance and I'm slightly less consistent releasing on a hyzer angle for long distance lines. Other players feel more comfortable with max D hyzer flips which is fine; I'm just a bit more comfortable with a more flat release.

Also, even if I were throwing Wraiths, my comment on Thunderbirds would be the same. I don't think I personally need this speed of disc in my bag (other than a Firebird for utility shots). Obviously others have different needs; this could be the perfect speed disc for you. I just don't think it's for me (which doesn't mean I won't buy one and try it; the allure of new plastic is always great).

@teemkey: :hfive:

Hey before this snowballs further...does anyone have proof that it's a firebird rim? It went from speculation to fact in about 20 posts.

Also best to consider Discmania and Innova as two separate companies. They have different people designing the molds, but the same manufacturing process, and using the same legacy technology. Other than that Discmania is an autonomous entity. Innova doesn't control it.

The PDGA specs the Thunderbird to have the same width rim as firebird, olf, pd, and, valks at 1.9cm. The Starfire , Orc, and Escapes are 2.0cm rims.

Smart money is Innova PD.

Hey before this snowballs further...does anyone have proof that it's a firebird rim? It went from speculation to fact in about 20 posts.

Does this answer the question?

If any company switched to this, I'd drop everything else and just throw theirs just to show support.

Millennium does run numbers, about the best you can get.

Interested in this disc for sure. Not sure I really have a need for it but would be fun to throw, maybe add to the bag down the line.

Nah, likely but not guaranteed it's the FX wing.

FL wing perhaps? Would be cool to see an entirely new mold though. I understand the technical and budgetary reasons for the so - called "Frankendiscs" but hasn't it been awhile since Innova released an entirely original mold?

I might be talking out my ass on this one, though. Tech experts feel free to correct me.

I've never seen that explained. What do I look for?

They print the run numbers to differentiate, look on the stamp. 1.25 for instance on my PLS. I believe 25 means 25th run. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm off.

First dye-

36143d1260261416t-telecasters-album-covers-10684-jpg

They print the run numbers to differentiate, look on the stamp. 1.25 for instance on my PLS. I believe 25 means 25th run. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm off.

OK, but what does that tell me? I'm not trying to be difficult, I just don't understand this at all.

Latest posts