• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

I have new plastic to comfort me on the way though, an Icon Gauge, and a Tangent and Anode in Eclipse, so the tears will be brief.

I really enjoy my Tangent. My current ROCs are not too broken in so the Tangent is my go-to for dead straight and turn-overs in the midrange d.

kermur

They'll probably do the USDGC win as a bottom stamp on the McPro Avair and keep the 3x stamp to the Roc3, S-Line P2, Thunderbird and.......the Nova!

What is the rationale here? Wondering how you came to this conclusion. Honestly wondering. Is it because the bottom stamp on Aviars typically have a ton of info? I have the 1050 bottom stamp Aviar and as Im sure you know, it includes all his ratings from the year, or so it seems.

kermur

Last edited:
source, rationale?

Well, the USDGC carries a lot of prestige, but there isn't really a good way to present it alongside the World Championships. Plus there is also history with the way that they changed the KC discs over the years. It was always all about the World Championships. In the McPro Aviar thread I stated that the bottom stamp probably wouldn't change until the 2015 Tour Discs are released. In response LeviW, who designed the 3x bottom stamp, stated that USDGC was coming up. This leads me to believe that if there are any McBeth stock stamp signature discs, they will likely just call out the World Championships, while the USDGC win will be celebrated on the McPro Aviar and the USDGC Champion Rocs. As for adding the Nova to the sig disc list, it only makes sense from a marketing perspective. He crushes that disc and has crazy confidence in it (final approach in this years Worlds playoff was made with a Nova) so it makes sense to out his stamp on it if only to increase sales to more casual players. Just my guess without any real inside information.

Are the Viking and FL the same disc? I do believe the FL is already OOP.

kermur

You do realize you're replying to a post I made 2 months ago right? Not really a current conversation. The FL is still being run by the Innova Factory Store and there's still stock of it at various online retailers (just checked DGC, DN, and ID and they all have it). It's not a popular mold, so I doubt they run quantities of them every year, but I don't think it's actually discontinued because the mold is broken or something (as per the rumor about the SL).

I'm loving my 168 G* Thunderbirds. I throw Firebirds also and some of them are too OS for me, these G*s have the right amount of over stability and glide for me. I already have complete trust in the disc and what it will do for me.

I highly suggest it for us noodle arms. :thmbup:

I know it doesn't sound right, but my 167g G* Thunderbird has fit nicely between my Vikings and Firebirds. I've been using it as a headwind disc with success. In headwinds, the Viking does too little and the Firebird does too much.

I know it doesn't sound right, but my 167g G* Thunderbird has fit nicely between my Vikings and Firebirds. I've been using it as a headwind disc with success. In headwinds, the Viking does too little and the Firebird does too much.

I don't throw Vikings but this sounds exactly right.

What is the rationale here? Wondering how you came to this conclusion. Honestly wondering. Is it because the bottom stamp on Aviars typically have a ton of info? I have the 1050 bottom stamp Aviar and as Im sure you know, it includes all his ratings from the year, or so it seems.

kermur

It's actually pretty logical rationale.

No, they aren't the same disc. Yeah, FL's might be OOP but so few throw them that I doubt anyone would notice at this point. The Viking is considerably longer w/ turn and less fade.

Are the Viking and FL the same disc? I do believe the FL is already OOP.

kermur

I don't know if any of you have watched mcflysohighs coverage of the second round of USDGC but pretty much every time mcbeth threw the thunderbird it went OB...sure he was having an off round but ouch.

Got a chance to throw a G* yesterday, and I was much more impressed compared to the Glow Champ and Champ. I have to throw it against a G-PD (which I love), but I was surprised at how much better it was in this plastic than the Champs.

Got a chance to throw a G* yesterday, and I was much more impressed compared to the Glow Champ and Champ. I have to throw it against a G-PD (which I love), but I was surprised at how much better it was in this plastic than the Champs.

Better glide and less fade? I haven't tossed a thunderbird of any type yet but I'm really wanting to check out a g star.

Yeah. I would say that's accurate. It has the same immediate fade as the Champs, but it's not as extreme, similar to the differences between the C & S-Line PDs and G-Line PDs.

Just stopped in this thread to chime in; G*Star Thunderbird might be my new favorite disc! Wow! I have been throwing an Asia Open Thunderbird since they came out, and I really enjoy it (very stable, consistent flight). But the G*Star version is awesome! It's a lot like a perfectly seasoned S-PD for me. Just enough turn to be able to shape shots well, and a predictable fade. Immediately in the bag. Great disc!

FL is not OOP but they only make it in Star.

edit - I see it is discontinued

Last edited: