• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

I throw a Champion a lot these days. And to think I nearly sold it off. I just had to give it a little more time to gel. Longer, sweeping fade than a Teebird. Definitely handy. Wish the dang thing wasn't maroon color.. hard to find sometimes.

Got one of these in DX today - wow, see what you all mean about tacky DX. Looking forward to throwing it.

I throw a Champion a lot these days. And to think I nearly sold it off. I just had to give it a little more time to gel. Longer, sweeping fade than a Teebird.

I feel the same way about the Thunderbird. I purchased a Protostar the very second I could and give it a few throws. It held a line nicely but at the time did not wow me. I then purchased numerous GStars because for a month I had to have everything in GStar. I like those as well, but I converted mostly over to Trilogy.

Slowly I gravitated back to the Thunderbird because there is not a good Trilogy equivilent to something that flies like a TeeBird. Boatman - crashes too hard and requires a ton of snap to fly straight. Saint Pro - closer, but needs to be seasoned a little to get what I was looking for. The Champion Thunderbird made its way back into my bag.

And then my PFN Star TeeBirds began to fail me. I cannot explain why, but suddenly they were coming out either with too much height or with too much hyzer. The newer Star TeeBirds are a tick too overstable (overstable, not super stable) for the precision shot I was looking for, so they did not last long. The Thunderbird started to pick that slack up. For fun I gave it numerous forehand shots because I do not normally throw forehands. They immediately impressed me with that shot.

So I started giving the Thunderbird more and more shots, and it lived up to its hype. I can even trust to stretch it out to 400 feet, which is just a tick below my overall maximum distance, but since I rarely need 410-415 feet exactly, and when I do it better be on target, I am now throwing these Thunderbirds on my max distance shots because they are generally more on target, and therefore compensating a loss of 10-15 feet by being more on target. I have since pulled out my Trespasses.

Finally, the best thing about my Champion Thunderbirds is that they are unfazed by most situations. Headwinds rarely affect and they excel flying over elevation drops where discs like my Trespass would lose all control.

This week I coupled them with a new C-Line FD, and between the two of them I feel that I can cover almost all of my drives with just these two discs. While it is still an experiment, this last week I removed the River, Gazelle, Roadrunner, and Trespass for the FD and Thunderbird. Only the XXX remains because of its thumber shot.

As for the DX Thunderbird, I was initially intrigued because I would like to see how they would fly once they were beaten up, but once I got one in my hands, I immediately put it back. For some reason it felt uncomfortable and shallow and nothing like my Champions. Maybe during the winter I may pick one up just so that if I lose it, I am out only 8 dollars versus the higher price tag of my champs.

I throw a Champion a lot these days. And to think I nearly sold it off. I just had to give it a little more time to gel. Longer, sweeping fade than a Teebird. Definitely handy. Wish the dang thing wasn't maroon color.. hard to find sometimes.

After trying and failing to get my GStar Thunderbird to work consistently for me, I tried a Champion Thunderbird and was very pleased with its consistency. The Champ Thunderbird solved my overstable needs in that range.

Finally got to throw some dx thunderbirds last night. They are very flat (much flatter than current dx teebirds) and have a shallow feel. I was surprised at how overstable they were out of the box. I could not get any turn out of them and they have a hard fade. They were coming up 20-30 feet short of my gstar thunderbirds. Hopefully this means they will beat in nicely and not get too flippy, we will see.

Just waiting on the production Star run...in hard Star plastic, ya hear me Innova?!?

Finally got to throw some dx thunderbirds last night. They are very flat (much flatter than current dx teebirds) and have a shallow feel. I was surprised at how overstable they were out of the box. I could not get any turn out of them and they have a hard fade. They were coming up 20-30 feet short of my gstar thunderbirds. Hopefully this means they will beat in nicely and not get too flippy, we will see.

Where is everybody getting these DX's? :wall::wall::wall:

This was my experienceas well. They have a very high PLH and are nice beef.

Now THIS sounds interesting.

That is good to hear because my general experience is that almost all DX molds have a lower parting line than their premium plastic counterpart. My goodness there was a night and day difference between some Wraiths and Destroyers I threw in those two plastics.

I like that it will start more overstable than my other Thunderbirds so that it can beat in close. I am still not sold on the grip because it definitely did not feel the same, at least where my fingers curled up underneath for a power grip.

The different feel might be the blend of stiff DX the higher plh sitting in you hand differently or both. My seasoned DX feels better in my hand than the new one.
This DX seems to mold up really "tight" with high parting lines and flat tops

Well, I couldn't resist the disc that won players choice so I ordered a couple factory 2nds in champ plastic.

A very smooth, good looking disc. Very aerodynamic. Nice dome. Medium sized rim. Good transition through flight plate.

I can see Innova spent some time making this mold right.

Longer than I thought. Not as overstable as I thought it would be. Though my two purple champs are 165,166 respectively.

Will do some more testing tonight along with my gstar eagle x's that I ordered along with the thunderbirds from the innova factory store.

Back in the day, Innova used to market their DX discs as starting off more OS than the number suggested so that they could break in nicely.

Maybe they're trying to bring that back with these.

Here is what the thunderbird really is:

Basically an evolved TBird that is faster and slightly more overstable.

It looks like innova jumped on the large rim bandwagon real quick i.e. destroyer, boss, etc..

Well that gap was really never filled until the thunderbird.

I am envisioning the thunderbird sitting in the bag just ahead of my saint pros. Very similar looking discs but the thunderbirds rim is a little bigger.

This will allow me to carry slightly longer distances that kind of in between the saints and worlds.

Nice disc. Nice Job innova.

Latest posts