• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

I dont wan't any high speed turn out of my thunderbirds either, but these are too much. I want them to fly like a longer teebird and these fly like a flat top firebird. These were probably going 100' shorter than the thunderbirds I have been throwing.

The new Thunderbirds must really be nasty. I've only thrown older ones, and they fly pretty damn true to the numbers. 9, 5, 0, 2.

The Thunderbird I bag is a champion 175 that can be hammered out to about 400' on a flat line with no high speed turn.

I will agree that I don't want Thunderbirds any beefier than the assigned numbers. I'd just move up to a Firebird if I wanted that.

Weird that these seem to be more overstable. It used to be that the flatter the Thunderbird, the more overstable, similar to the Firebird. But a Pro that starts overstable sounds intriguing just like the awesome first run of DX.

I can confirm that my most recent domey Pro Thunderbird is as stable as my new champ Thunderbird. I wouldn't call it Star Thunderbird overstable but I can't wait to get some wear on it because it already bombs even though it only has a HAIR of turn on full power throws (425 foot power). I can push it to 370 when a star Thunderbird is really going to be 350 max on a slight flex line. It will fight some wind with hyzer but it's no glideless Firebird for really windy shots.

For me, the flat Thunderbirds have -1 turn almost out of the box while the max weight domey ones are pretty true to the 0 turn out of the box.

I dont wan't any high speed turn out of my thunderbirds either, but these are too much. I want them to fly like a longer teebird and these fly like a flat top firebird. These were probably going 100' shorter than the thunderbirds I have been throwing.

I have a stiff Star Thunderbird that reminds me of what you're talking about. Every bit as stable as a Sexton Firebird (mine at least isn't as glideless as a flat firebird) if not a little more so. Sounds like you've also had bad luck with the Pro Thundebirds because my most recent domey Pro Thunderbird is an absolute money disc. I also got a new metal flake thunderbird that isn't quite as glidey but still is a nice straight to fade disc when the wind kicks up a little...

Stuff like this makes me glad I stocked up on 3x and early 4x Champ Thunderbirds. Really durable and truly fly like longer Teebirds.

Though if these new runs are like flat top Firebirds then I might have to go Thunderbird shopping for the first time in a while. Sometimes you just need more beef.

New to Thundies. Picked one up because I wanted a less flippy speed 9 to complement my Valk. 168 Gstar and either I got a super flippy valk or a beeeefy thundie. I'll use it instead of throwing drivers I don't have the arm for (nuke) when I need a trusty fade or have wind but it's not really what I was expecting.

New to Thundies. Picked one up because I wanted a less flippy speed 9 to complement my Valk. 168 Gstar and either I got a super flippy valk or a beeeefy thundie. I'll use it instead of throwing drivers I don't have the arm for (nuke) when I need a trusty fade or have wind but it's not really what I was expecting.

An S-Line CD2 is a great pick for a more stable compliment to your Valkyrie. They start os but season to exactly what you'd want.

An S-Line CD2 is a great pick for a more stable compliment to your Valkyrie. They start os but season to exactly what you'd want.

Thanks for the rec. for now I'm going to try for "practice not plastic" but if I lose a disc and go to replace I'll certainly keep it in mind.

I have a 170 gstar Thunderbird that started off more stable then I would think, but after 4-5 months turned into the juiciest hyzer flip disc I have ever had. It now flips over for long, pan out annys on a flat release or hyzer flips to flat and glides on a slight hyzer. I call it "the wonderbird" because multiple people have seen it fly and asked "wtf was that".

I say, beat it up a bit and see if it breaks in to being exactly what you want.

I have a 170 gstar Thunderbird that started off more stable then I would think, but after 4-5 months turned into the juiciest hyzer flip disc I have ever had. It now flips over for long, pan out annys on a flat release or hyzer flips to flat and glides on a slight hyzer. I call it "the wonderbird" because multiple people have seen it fly and asked "wtf was that".

I say, beat it up a bit and see if it breaks in to being exactly what you want.
After a few rounds and a good bit of field practice it's breaking in to be exactly what I wanted it to be-Speed 9 (my sweet spot) laser straight with a solid fade at the end that I can use forehand without having to hyzer flip, or use in wind where I can't trust myself with a Valk. 5/5 would buy again.

I'm just quoting everyone from last couple pages that commented on either Pro Thunderbird or CD2 that might have an opinion.

Was thinking about trying out one or the other. Anyone have an opinion on flight differences between the two?

Is Pro Thunderbird still OS? Regarding Saracoms comment that it's akin to Pro Destroyer vs Star worries me a little. Could just be the two destroyers I have but my pro Destroyer is a very different disc than the star for me - I really like it - but it's more of Heat/Roadrunner/Sidewinder stability IMO. What I'm getting at is that while the Pro Destroyer serves as a Max Distance Driver for me it's not at all overstable. In the Pro Thunderbird/CD2 spot I was kind of wanting something that is still a little overstable but maybe more AM arm friendly than an OS star/champ thunderbird.

Added points for anyone that can compare to a PP Lucid Convict.

Thanks all

You might want to try a DGA Banzai. The speed requirement is less but it can also get good distance.

My go-to Thunderbird for the past couple of years has been a yellow 166g Star that just won't stop being beefy. I play a lot of wooded courses so it's seen some things now. I still need to give it decent anyhyzer on a hard FH to get the flex distance I want. I've got a max weight luster Thunderbird paired along with it that has is legit 9/5/0/2.5.

I've got a max weight luster Thunderbird paired along with it that has is legit 9/5/0/2.5.

Yeah I've been bagging my max weight Luster for over a year and it's still got those same numbers I'd say. I can FH it as hard as I want and it doesn't show turn. I've got it to drift off line when throwing hard into moderate wind BH or FH though.

I wish I could throw it harder, I can't really get it to wake up on BH shots other than placement/hyzer lines or punching through wind. I think it'd be a good pro-level disc. It is excellent on the course, it just isn't "fun" if you know what I mean. But that's why it's consistent.

Is your star Thundy still more OS than the luster? Or does the fade just dump more at the end? The luster doesn't have a dumpy fade but the HSS is just so strong that it starts into the fade kind of early if you can't smash it.

Lost my Pro Thundy the other day.. It was my go to and favorite disc for a while.. Pretty upset about it.. It was in such a perfect spot where I could throw full power on some hyzer and it would flip up to flat possibly turn a tiny bit and ride out to about 375 with some decent fade at the end. So I bought another.

I love pro Thunderbirds BC they are less stable than Champ and Star's (although I have never thrown a stock star). They are longer and have such amazingly controllable turn. I can get a good 50-75 more out of my pro Thundy's than my champ as well as get that wonderful turn for easy shot shaping in the woods.

Thundy's are great. That is all.

Is your star Thundy still more OS than the luster? Or does the fade just dump more at the end? The luster doesn't have a dumpy fade but the HSS is just so strong that it starts into the fade kind of early if you can't smash it.

No the Luster is more os mostly because I use the 166g Star all the time.

I browsed the local DG shops yesterday. I told myself I wouldn't buy another disc unless it:
-was a mold I already throw
-was bright orange or bright pink for woods golf
-was right around/just under 170
-was a premium plastic other than GStar (already have one)

Long story short, now I have this beautiful Star, 167G. The color pops so well, and out in the sunlight it's got just a little bit of swirl to it.

Attachments

• C47C7F1A-27E0-4646-AC94-39EACB15078C.jpg
    C47C7F1A-27E0-4646-AC94-39EACB15078C.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 67
Does anybody else throw the Metal Flake Thunderbirds? I picked one up and they have more turn than both Champion and Star. Is this what others have found as well?

Does anybody else throw the Metal Flake Thunderbirds? I picked one up and they have more turn than both Champion and Star. Is this what others have found as well?

No. My most recent 168g metal flake was in between a pretty overstable Star and my beat-in champion Thunderbird. Reminded me of a fresh champion of right around there. This one was domey so that might have given it a little bit more of overstability. Was your metal flake in question flat or domey?

No. My most recent 168g metal flake was in between a pretty overstable Star and my beat-in champion Thunderbird. Reminded me of a fresh champion of right around there. This one was domey so that might have given it a little bit more of overstability. Was your metal flake in question flat or domey?

Not domey, not super flat. Somewhere in between. Actually got a decent amount of turn on it.

Not domey, not super flat. Somewhere in between. Actually got a decent amount of turn on it.

Are you sure it is a Thunderbird? Just because it's stamped as a Thunderbird doesn't mean it is one. I've seen this happen to a couple people (including myself).

I've never thrown a fresh Thunderbird and had it turn before so maybe you got a weird one.

Are you sure it is a Thunderbird? Just because it's stamped as a Thunderbird doesn't mean it is one. I've seen this happen to a couple people (including myself).

I've never thrown a fresh Thunderbird and had it turn before so maybe you got a weird one.

Yep 100% a Thunderbird.

Latest posts