• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tips for NOT Overheating, feeling like Poo?

Keep in mind that water can serve two purposes:

-Colder water will lower your body temperature, but will not hydrate you as well.
-Closer to room temperature water will hydrate you better, but will not lower your body temperature as much.

I typically reserve truly COLD (read: has ice, or recently had now melted ice) water for when I absolutely need it in the heat, and focus on drinking water that my body will absorb a bit more efficiently. On a truly hot day that rehydrating "just-room-temp" water will taste just as delicious as the cold stuff.

Agree as well with people stating you need to drink water throughout the day. Really: it is a key part of being an active part of any athletic endeavor. Making sure you're consistently hydrated day over day is the best policy. I get people that want to be desk-people, chug coffee, and put job-ahead-of-self... I'm a borderline workaholic myself... But if you intend to get out and be active, focus on water. All day, every day.

(I should take my own advice, I'm on coffee number two right now... been up for five hours though, keep them spread out with lots of H2O in between...)

Yes, I am overweight. I need to drop pounds. I weigh about 210lbs. right now on a 5'8" frame. I have always been bulky and athletic. I will NEVER weigh less than 175-180lbs, but I DO need to get on getting back down to there.

Keep the suggestions coming, and THANK YOU again! :)

As someone who was carrying around 215 at 5'8" a few years ago and is now at 175, I can say that losing the excess pounds was a major part of the way I feel these days. I still drink too much soda and beer, but I also drink lots of water and walk/bike for all trips under five miles or so. I eat a lot of baked chicken and steamed vegetables nowadays. I hydrate early in the morning and between rounds with water and powdered gatorade mix (I make it really weak). It's nothing for my dad and I to knock out four 18-holers before lunch.

I played with an overweight, out of shape friend this summer after work when the heat index was pushing 100 and the humidity was really high. Around hole 10 he was showing some mild symptoms of heat exhaustion, so he stopped throwing and we rested at every bench and tee pad. The shortest walk back to the car was pretty much following the course so we just took it really easy. He was fine but I was amazed at how little exertion it took for him to start showing signs. Three years ago I may have been right there with him.

If you use anti-perspirant, try deodorant instead on the days you play. I think letting my armpits sweat helps keep me cooler.

Lots of great advice included above. Since it seems to have been overlooked in this thread, I want to add a point about sunscreen -- in my experience it makes a huge difference. Sun exposure might combine with the hydration and heat to cause more problems...more than you'd expect from any of these as individual factors.

UV exposure affects body chemistry (vitamin D synthesis is one example). Some people get physically ill from too much sun, even if its not all that hot. I learned that lesson for myself, the hard way, during backpacking trips in the high Cascades.

In AZ weather with the courses lacking shade as described, I'd definitely slather on the sunscreen, and also wear a hat and light-colored loose-fitting long sleeves. And take a 10-12 disc bag instead of the big rig.

Definitely recommend a wide-brimmed hat that goes all the way around. I've found that if I wear a ball cap on those super sunny days, I feel like it still cooks my brain stem and results in a headache. The best head-cooling setup I've found is a loose visor with a bandana under it covering the top and sides of my head, and fully covering my neck safari-style. I also carry one nalgene with room temp water and a hydroflask full of cooooooold ice water. Like ChrisWoj above, the room temp is my go-to for thirst and I will pour some ice water on my head, which soaks the bandana and works like those cooling towels on my neck. super refreshing. occasional sips of ice cold water are very nice as well.

Timely. At the moment I am taking 20-30 minutes pre solo round lounging around one getting used to the heat.

I am 43 and until I had some issues a couple years ago I thought I was heat proof. I try to ease into it nowadays.

Having a couple gallons of water in the vehicle is handy. Hose off / sponge bath can be huge. I do favor a couple course with water spigots for vagrant showers on super hot days.

...to be a bummer, some heat and dehydration issues are exasperated by health issues you know about and others that may be more non symptomatic. Health checks and open established communication with your health care provider is good.

I started wearing a wide-brimmed hat a couple years ago, and often make it wet, or wet my head before putting it on. Keeping the.sun off my head and neck makes a world of difference.
I eat a lot bananas and watermelon and grapes in the summer.
I've found cotton to be much better than any kind of polyester in keeping me cool.
And, hydroflasks are legit in keeping water cold for the entire round. I was skeptical, but they are truly awesome.

Shade shade shade. I often play in 100+ temperatures and in pretty high humidity (Austin does not have that "dry" heat) and it helps tremendously to find shade as often as possible. I have never had to resort to taking it with me but an umbrella sounds like a good idea. Or a manly parasol.

Next summer will be easier on you. I grew up in the northwest and moved down here to the west valley about 10 years ago. The first summer was hell. Your body will adjust to the heat, but it takes awhile. It also goes the other way and you'll be grabbing a jacket when it gets down around 60 in a few "winters".

I spend most of the summer out of the state, so I've tried to only play here if the temp is under 95. That usually means starting a round right after the sun comes up (July through October). I've considered carrying an umbrella because of the lack of shade on courses out here, but haven't yet. Just play your round slow and take any chance you get to spend a few minutes in the shade. In October through March you'll know why everyone "winters" down here ;)

I have not actually run across evidence that supports this. Heat stroke is a form of hyperthermia, an abnormally elevated body temperature with accompanying physical and neurological symptoms. Unlike heat cramps and heat exhaustion, two forms of hyperthermia that are less severe, heat stroke is a true medical emergency that can be fatal if not properly and promptly treated. If had it once, you are likely to have it again because there is something inherently wrong with your body's thermostat, which can be caused by numerous body system deficits. Perhaps that is what you were saying Shipley.

Also not to be confused with dehydration, which can happen without failure of the body to maintain normal body temp.

Again, I would seek the input of your physician, especially if this is a repeat issue.

@ru4por - Heat injuries can release an inflammatory cascade, increasing the risk of subsequent heat injuries. You become more sensative to heat illness after suffering heatstroke.

OP - It should also be mentioned that
1. Heatstroke can build slowly over several days.

2. It's not only diuretics that increase chances of heat illness, but prescription medication, and illicit drugs as well.

. . .

Pre-hydrate, . . .

This is the only real answer along with continuing to drink water while you play. Once you reach a state of dehydration and you are out there playing in the heat, you cannot drink enough water to catch up.

Start drinking water a few hours before you play. Drink more than you want to. Drink it slowly (this is important). Before you play, you should be urinating clear water. Continue drinking water until you start playing. Then, when you are out playing, continue to drink cool water occasionally. If this does not prevent overheating, your only other options are to play when it is cooler or not play at all.

@ru4por - Heat injuries can release an inflammatory cascade, increasing the risk of subsequent heat injuries. You become more sensative to heat illness after suffering heatstroke.

OP - It should also be mentioned that
1. Heatstroke can build slowly over several days.

2. It's not only diuretics that increase chances of heat illness, but prescription medication, and illicit drugs as well.

Interesting, thanks Shipley. I will will take a look at this. Seems like this would be suggestive that any illness, initiating the inflammation cascade would leave you more suseptable to another bout. Injury, of course, is dependent upon mechanism, and disease/infection has a component of anti body recognition and synthesis. Heat stroke does not really fit into those categories very well.

With the amount of water some of y'all are drinking I'd be worried about hyponatremia. A lot of people aren't aware that you can drink too much water, but this is a condition that has caused plenty of deaths in people running marathons. Too much water intake without replacing the sodium loss as well will cause an imbalance that can be very dangerous.

The answer is to get in better shape and to keep yourself hydrated on a regular basis. If you are properly hydrated prior to the round then 2 hours in the heat shouldn't knock you out. Hit the gym this winter and then get out there for some runs, walks, and bike rides in the spring and you will power through next summer.

With the amount of water some of y'all are drinking I'd be worried about hyponatremia. A lot of people aren't aware that you can drink too much water, but this is a condition that has caused plenty of deaths in people running marathons. Too much water intake without replacing the sodium loss as well will cause an imbalance that can be very dangerous.

I concur that the volumes being drunk seem excessive.

It's worth noting that overhydration is probably a greater risk than dehydration, and that there's a substantial body of sports medicine research that suggests that sports drinks (Gatorade, Powerade, Pedialyte, etc.) are no better, an may actually be worse, than water for achieving and maintaining proper hydration.

I've been using a cart past couple years. They're great on some courses but on other courses they will add to the problem.
Make sure the course is cart friendly.

only wear Dri-fit EVERYTHING

This does not work as well in dry conditions. The NPS actually recommends AGAINST wicking clothing for the Grand Canyon, and the conditions in Phx are identical. I'll state that the stuff works great for short exposure (I wear it running, cycling, etc), but for spending any serious time.. cotton is FAR better. You WANT to trap the moisture in low humidity, when it evaporates it cools.

im in AZ as well, and one thing that helps me is to splash my face with some cold water every 3 or 4 holes and towel off. its just a good refresher and also gets the sweat off your hands.