• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Too many local DG clubs/groups

jimbosprint

Double Eagle Member
What's going on in Chico? Seems like every day someone starts a new disc golf group aimed at "uniting the community and ending drama between locals." Lots of talk about getting new courses installed and expanding local tournaments, but no real substance.

In the last week we have 2 new groups started - the Chico DG Expansion Group and Butte County Unified Disc Golfers. Chico State Chainbangers is new this year, and there's already the Chico Disc Golf Club and the Chico Outsiders.

How is this productive when there's really not that many active local players?

Any other communities go through this?

I agree with you, Jim. In my experience, new clubs often serve only short term interests and may not be great for overall development of the sport. I've seen this happen over time in a few area and often all you get in the end is an over-crowded schedule and more bickering amongst groups of players who would, ideally, be better served if they were all under one umbrella. Too many clubs make it impossible to get regional organization and consequently they all just try to serve their own needs rather than working cooperatively towards better course, tournaments and leagues for everyone.

Doesn't each state/region have a PDGA Coordinator? Shouldn't it be their job to organize these "clubs". Perhaps clubs could be sanctioned by the PDGA?

Just make it a positive and set up some club vs club team tournaments. The more clubs the merrier. It could be good for the area to have some fun rivalries. Heck, down the road you guys can have recruiting wars with illegal swag and bribes. :D

Doesn't each state/region have a PDGA Coordinator? Shouldn't it be their job to organize these "clubs". Perhaps clubs could be sanctioned by the PDGA?

By and large, local clubs have no connection with the PDGA. A few are affiliated clubs. Though clubs may run tournaments, it's one person, the TD, who is engaged with the PDGA.

I can't see a state coordinator getting involved in club squabbles, other than perhaps gentle persuasion.

By and large, local clubs have no connection with the PDGA. A few are affiliated clubs. Though clubs may run tournaments, it's one person, the TD, who is engaged with the PDGA.

I can't see a state coordinator getting involved in club squabbles, other than perhaps gentle persuasion.

I'm not talking about the coordinator getting involved in club squabbles. But if the PDGA sanctioned organized clubs, kinda like the Little League Baseball, Inc sanctions leagues that have to meet certain standards. Wouldn't that be a way to promote the sport in a more organized and standardized manner? It would also allow local clubs that are trying to get new or upgraded courses call on the PDGA credentials.

Sounds like people in your area generally disagree with how the other clubs run things and feel the need to start their own.

I'm not talking about the coordinator getting involved in club squabbles. But if the PDGA sanctioned organized clubs, kinda like the Little League Baseball, Inc sanctions leagues that have to meet certain standards. Wouldn't that be a way to promote the sport in a more organized and standardized manner? It would also allow local clubs that are trying to get new or upgraded courses call on the PDGA credentials.

The challenge is making it beneficial for a club to sanction, and worth the time and expense for the PDGA to handle.

Then, if multiple clubs form in a town and try to sanction, what does the PDGA do? Allow it? The problem posed in this thread is not solved. Disallow or intervene? That's the club squabbles I was thinking of.

They have the Affiliate Club program, but going beyond that might be difficult.

I'm mostly frustrated that it's all talk and no action. I plan to help any way I can, but I'm a little cynical after being an active promoter of disc golf in the area for some years now.

It would probably drive me crazy, too. We haven't seen that here, and I haven't heard of it nearby. I've heard of some local drama within very large clubs, but that's to be expected as long as people are involved.

I read this site regularly and often just enjoy the responses of those that are active on the site, yet had to post. This issue does seem to be real, at least here in Central California. I only live about 150 miles south of the OP near Modesto/Merced and am aware of at least three groups in Modesto, a couple in the Stockton/Lodi area, and one club in Merced whose leadership was so poor that it actually jeopardized its ability to get an expansion to its current course, because anchors were positioned and sunk before local governmental ok. I know that there is no club at all in Visalia due to strife and disagreement.

There does seem to be a unification issue in this region, I read posts from you ladies and gentlemen from other parts of this country and wish for conditions more like yours in regard to club activity, consensus, and general involvement. It just often reads as a better experience. It seems that far too many individuals have that attitude of "my way or the highway", which causes splintering, discomfort, and folks wanting to start their own clubs and groups.

I'm kinda on the other side of the fence....
I am one of the guys who started a new disc golf group similar to what you guys are talking about. In my particular area, the only local club has little to no online presence. What they do have online is rarely updated. Aside from that, it's near impossible to tell what the other clubs statewide have going on as well, unless it is a sanctioned tourney.
So I started a site to hopefully give NM clubs and players one centralized place to get NM disc golf info, and to meet others. It wasnt intended to compete with any club, but rather to supplement all statewide clubs.

KD - What you've decided to do should be a welcome thing anywhere, you didn't do it to compete with other clubs and improved state-wide communication. Those are good things and do not complicate the equation.

The problem with your idea is that Jim is talking about Nor-Cal, and most people here could give 2 $#!&* about what the PDGA does or thinks. Some of these clubs might have even been born out of the desire to break furthur away from the PDGA.

Here we only have one club and its ran by the PDGA president. Nothing really ever gets done, and I have contemplated starting a new club of my own for like minded people in my area. (Of which there are many) I think multiple clubs is a good thing, so long as folks can play nice when it comes to important stuff.