• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Too much, too little?

Anfield Addict

Bogey Member
Hey All,
I'm looking for a little help refining my bag.
I've played disc golf for about 3 years. About a year in college and then took it back up 2 years ago due to an inability to compete in my first love, soccer, which I played up through college and beyond a little till injuries piled up. 3 knee surgeries over the years have put soccer beyond now, but disc golf is still well within my bodies capabilities at 30 years and I'm loving picking it back up and making strides in improvement. Currently I have a decent back hand and a reasonable forehand that is at least useful at times.
RHBH distances for golf lines and distance would be Putters out to 150-200, Mids 200-250, Drivers 25-300. On open holes where a pure line isn't as necessary I can stretch speed nines out past 300 to perhaps 350 on a good day.
My biggest challenge is that I live over seas where it is tough to get discs with practically nothing by way of local vendors, or if there are they charge so much I might as well just pay the shipping and have my choice of mold, color and weight. However I am back Stateside for the summer and feel like now is my chance to stock up on anything I need to round out my bag, fill any gaps and if necessary drop something where I have some overlap. Here is what my bag looks like at the moment. There is a lot of inconsistency in plastic types. When I would buy overseas, I'd try a range of plastics to see what I like, some I still haven't settled. I've also set up my bag to cover a range of distances and stabilities, the courses I play don't allow for me to wear discs in quickly enough to only carry just 4-5 molds, also the reason I set on more durable plastics.

Putters.
165 DX Aviar super beat, holds a nice short turn over line.
175 XT Aviar fresh
175 Star Aviar 3 new and in trial mode replacing a soft wizard for now. This is easier to flick forehand but glides way less.
175 Nova for when I really need an upshot to stick, I play some fairly dry/rough greens and it has made a difference.

Mids
170-175 Mako3's, one in Star one in Champion.
175 Star Roc3's x 2, hoping to season these over time
175 Metal Flake Roc3, this one I am trying to keep fresher and OS as possible

Fairways (for me at least), these come in pairs
175 GStar Leo3, beat in to a point where I can get it to hold on a flat straight throw with little to no fade.
170 Champion Leo 3, less flippy turns nicely and comes back just enough, for me it is more reliable for straight/tunnel shots.
165 Eagle x 2 in Star and Champion. Star is more beat in, gets more turn, skips well. Champion is more OS and holds a nice forehand line for me, doesn't feel like it gets as much glide.
170-175 Champion Banshees. Head winds, big hyzers, spike hyzers. Do enjoy this disc. One is just more beat in than the other and will hold a bit straighter for longer.

Distance Drivers, which for me at this point do not exceed speed 9ish, depending on the brand. I feel I am still growing into these a bit.
169 Champ Sidewinder, hyzer flips, big turn overs, more reliable fade than the Star.
175 Star Sidewinder, hyzer flips, turns over more reliably than the champ.
171 GStar Valkyrie, straight long S turns, I like it for down hill shots as well. Lets me know when I goof up as it will turn over on me if I don't keep it flat or with a touch of hyzer.
167 Champ Valkyrie, more stable than the Gstar, doesn't turn over.

Recent removals or discs I've experimented with
Gstar Sidewinder, not sure if it was the plastic but it never really worked for me and flipped more easily than I wanted.
Star Valkyrie, pretty sure this was too domey. Never felt right in my hand.
ESP Buzzz
Big Z Buzzz OS
Champ Panther, actually really enjoyed this disc. I might work it back in.
X Line X Press, super light, super flippy.
Z Line Heat, felt too close to Leo3 and the Sidewinders. Felt like I had 3 discs that were to close in speed.
Champ Firebird, originally intended for headwinds but flew like a brick for me.
ESP Predator, better than the firebird but still not sure I have the arm speed utilize it well even in a headwind. I might be more likely to disc down to a Banshee.
Z Line Archer, didn't do anything I didn't already have covered.
Wave, PDGA member ship disc, through it around a bit. I don't think my arm speed is quite there to really appreciate this one yet.
X Line Stratus

I'm a fan of discs that have good glide. I'm not sure the Valkyrie fits that bill though. I'm also not unwilling to step outside of Innova, it was just the easiest way for me to start building a bag with standard measurements for disc characteristics.
It feels like Banshee and Eagle are kind of filling very similar slots as well, perhaps I need to drop one or the other?
Also any suggestions for a driver to fix on for head winds in the speed 9 range would be helpful.
Thanks for reading, felt long by the time I finished.
Suggestions for molds, plastics and weights for additions or replacements are appreciated.
Thanks in advance, this community has already been immensely helpful in the past two years as I've gotten back into the game.

A Champ Teebird could replace the Banshees and the Eagles possibly. It's straight with some fade at the end, not as beefy as a Banshee and less turn than an Eagle. Teebird is one of Innova's top selling discs for a reason.

Putters are fine. Which do you actually use for putting? I always liked the feel of the JK Aviars that seemed to have a nice texture.

Mids are fine as well. If you like the Roc3 and Mako better than the Buzzz's then go with that. It's all about personal preference.

You've got a nice range of fairways. Leopards, Eagles, Banshees cover most lines. I love Teebirds. The Archer and Stratus seem like they would overlap with your Makos and Leopards.

You're distance drivers look like "understable" and "more understable". Which is fine but you might want to try expanding the range a bit. I love an Escape. Speed 9 stable disc with insane glide. It's straighter than a Valkyrie but with more glide and a little more distance. Very easy to throw. It's not great in headwinds though. The glide is crazy and you'll love the distance.

For a headwind driver I'd recommend an S-line PD by discmania or an opto Culverin by lat64. They are speed 10 and 9, but feel similar and fly somewhat similar. They might be a bit too beefy for you on calm days, but should be great into a headwind. If your speed increases down the road, they'll get even more use and be workhorses in your bag.

Putters are fine. Which do you actually use for putting? I always liked the feel of the JK Aviars that seemed to have a nice texture.
For a headwind driver I'd recommend an S-line PD by discmania or an opto Culverin by lat64. They are speed 10 and 9, but feel similar and fly somewhat similar. They might be a bit too beefy for you on calm days, but should be great into a headwind. If your speed increases down the road, they'll get even more use and be workhorses in your bag.

Thanks for the feedback. I usually putt with the DX Aviar. It's the first disc I ever bought and still feels right. XT is a replacement.

I'll have a look a S-Line PD.

You had mentioned the Escape as a more stable addition to my driver line, what plastic do you like for that disc?

Thanks for the feedback. I usually putt with the DX Aviar. It's the first disc I ever bought and still feels right. XT is a replacement.

I'll have a look a S-Line PD.

You had mentioned the Escape as a more stable addition to my driver line, what plastic do you like for that disc?

I like the Escape in Lucid plastic. I think it's the most durable and will hold it's stability over time better than some of the others.

Latest posts