• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

top 10 courses

vizi25

Who else thinks there should be 50 reviews or more to make it to the top ten or 100! some of these courses with 20 reviews have no right to be there. I have not played all of these but the ones in the top 100 I have played! some are great and deserve it but others, no way!!

More regular reviews not needed but perhaps at least 10 reviews from trusted reviewers would be enough. But agree there are courses more deserving than some currently in the top 10.

Only very heavily played courses are Top 10?

Is that the limitation I want when I'm planning to a trip to play great courses?

How much does a course's rating change between 20 and 100, anyway?

More regular reviews not needed but perhaps at least 10 reviews from trusted reviewers would be enough. But agree there are courses more deserving than some currently in the top 10.

Agreed that a trusted reviewers rating should be weighted more. But there has to be some standard that would prevent a course that may have a high rating based on minimal reviews than a course that is rated a bit lower but has lots of reviews.

Seems we have a similar problem to baseball's All Star Voting. LOLOLOLOLOL. Maybe not as blatant.

There are only 103 courses with 50+ reviews. Looks like a Top-10 by that criteria isn't much different.

But, O.P., if you like that standard, you can search and sort courses based on it and get the results you want.

I've seen comparisons between Trusted-Reviewer-only ratings, and overall ratings, and the differences aren't enough to matter.

This seems more like yet another case of "My opinion is different from the rest of the world. The rest of the world must be wrong."

OP - why don't you review more courses to help the ratings? You have some courses listed as your Favorite Courses that don't have 20 reviews

I believe that over time with enough reviews everything will equal itself out and your beloved Idlewild will stay in the top 10

If the ratings are being looked at as a status thing -- maybe having requirements make sense.

As far as the travel aspect of it the ratings stay relatively consistent until you get into very small numbers of ratings. As someone who uses the ratings when deciding where to play you only have to get surprised once to understand how ratings can vary greatly when there aren't many reviews and then you can see patterns as to why a bad course gets high numbers. (Usually the people who built it are the only ones that have rated it. . . . )

Still, the system is easy to figure out with just a little bit of practice. It's like tee signs -- when you're traveling you're only using the ratings of the local courses once -- after you've been there you have a good feel for what's what.

It's not tough to find a course with a rating that's too high on here -- what's interesting are the many courses that I play that play a notch or 2 better what it's rated at. The ratings vary regionally in that areas with several really good courses tend to rate their second tier courses too low, while areas that have no highly rated courses seem to rate every course too high. (No science there -- only personal observations.)

There's enough effort into making the system accurate that the balance of the fluctuations can just be written off to human error. Play on.

As an aside -- if they can put pokemon's all over disc golf courses how long before the virtual tour getting me from the basket to the next tee?

OP - why don't you review more courses to help the ratings? You have some courses listed as your Favorite Courses that don't have 20 reviews

I believe that over time with enough reviews everything will equal itself out and your beloved Idlewild will stay in the top 10

This statement makes no sense what so ever! I can have as many favorite courses in different states as I like. Doesn't mean they have to be in the top ten or reviewed a certain amount of times. I just really enjoyed them and also never rated any of them a 5 star.

There have been several threads discussing how DGCR should/shouldn't determine which courses make the top 10, 50, pick a #...

How much does a course's rating change between 20 and 100, anyway?

I've seen comparisons between Trusted-Reviewer-only ratings, and overall ratings, and the differences aren't enough to matter.

And while he didn't come right out and say it, there's even more truth when you combine those statements. Once a course has achieved a "critical mass" of reviews (i.e. 20+), the gap between TR ratings isn't nearly as significant as it is when there are less than ten reviews. Plus, there's always this:

But, O.P., if you like that standard, you can search and sort courses based on it and get the results you want.

It's kind of hard to argue when someone lays it out that clearly. :|

Personally, I pretty much only consider ratings from reviews that actually contain substance about the course, and discount reviews that seem to be written for "rating purposes only," and really say nothing about the course. Not surprisingly, there's a fairly strong correlation between TR status and substantive reviews.

Last edited:
OK Vizi - I'll explain it to you the next time I see you. Forgot how argumentative you are and how things needs to be explained using crayons

I agree with the trusted reviewer statement. I am not one do to the fact I just don't rate enough. Maybe a person who has played or reviewed a certain amount of courses can be a trusted reviewer.

Review more courses........I'm pretty sure that would solve all of your worries. Not too sure what you don't understand about all of this.

Quite a few of the best courses in the country are in secluded places that tend to get less traffic and then less reviews. So with your requirements, you would end up with only courses that you would have to wait on every tee to throw.

I agree with the trusted reviewer statement. I am not one do to the fact I just don't rate enough. Maybe a person who has played or reviewed a certain amount of courses can be a trusted reviewer.

Site Related > General Questions >
How do I become a Trusted Reviewer on DGCR?

To become a Trusted Reviewer, other members on the site must vote your reviews as being helpful. After a predetermined amount of helpful votes, you will achieve Trusted Reviewer status. The current level break-downs can be found below:

TR Qualifications
Bronze: 10 Reviews, 100 Helpful Votes, 20 Unique Voters
Silver: 25 Reviews, 200 Helpful Votes, 35 Unique Voters
Gold: 35 Reviews, 350 Helpful Votes, 75 Unique Voters
Diamond: 60 Reviews, 1000 Helpful Votes, 200 Unique Voters

In addition to the above requirements, your unhelpful vote count must be less than 45% of your total helpful vote count to qualify as a trusted reviewer.

TR is not based on how many courses you have played, but on how many courses you have reviewed.

Idlewild is the only course in the top 10 that I have played and don't feel like it deserves to be in the top 10.

Latest posts