• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tournament side games I like em!

mndiscgolfer

What sort of side games are people running these days? Anything new besides ring of fire mini golf , If you have prizes to give away Do you make the games free to play, included with entry or do you charge per "round" say if you're playing mini love to hear some ideas

We set up a pretty killer 9-hole mini-golf course, and run a mini-tournament on Saturday evening. A couple of dollars to enter, usually play in a mob of a dozen or more people, beer allowed and much consumed. It's a blast.

One year we set a mini basket about halfway down this dam, and threw from about this spot (hard to tell, but it's about 30' high on this hill). We allowed people to try it at any down times during the tournament to see who could get the best score.

Hole%2017B%20Basket%20with%20pond%20behind%20(6).jpg

I got this idea from Mike Moser, I thought it was a fun twist on CTPS: If you have a lot of different CTP prizes, put multiple CTPs on one hole. So when a player, or players get a CTP on that hole they have to choose which prize they want.

Post-final-round, pre-awards CTP contests are fun, because they fill that dead time. I've seen a few places give away a portable basket if aced, which ramps up the interest.

At Earlewood we once ran a putting contest indoors. People could try to qualify during the lunches or after the Saturday rounds; those quote qualified for the finals competed during that interval before the awards.

At Stoney Hill we do a variation on the CTP, during competition, giving a box of beer to the longest putt made on hole 18. The baskets on a tall mound next to O.B., so whoever wins not only hit a great shot, but a high-risk shot. (Some claim they need the beer before attempting the shot, which is a little problematic).

We also did a post-round-4, USDGC-like distance throwoff across the pond once or twice. Only a few contestants, but lots of spectators.

I once ran what I called a "Reverse CTP Race". Each card circled who got the CTP on each hole, and we totaled them for both rounds. Lowest total got first pick of the prizes. The guy with the most CTPs wound up with a dog-chewed DX Roc :D

Every ball golf outing I ever played had a long drive hole somewhere on the course. Now I know that the majority of courses don't have a hole that you could do this on, but it would be nice to see once in a while.

Not quite the same, but for 15 years---ending this year---a nearby course ran a tournament with field events. 3 rounds of disc golf, plus distance, accuracy, and MTA contests, and trophies for combined winners. No extra entry fee.

I've started putting a CTP on every card for one hole in the 2nd or 3rd round. No flags to deal with, etc. Of course you need enough prizes.

We've done "ace-run" "basket toss" contests for a full size basket, $1 a throw from a tee pad to a basket about 150' away.

This year we did "Skittles" where for $1 entry you line up with everyone who bought in, shoulder to shoulder and throw as many times as you want in 30 seconds at a basket well within everyone's reach. Also for a full size basket. It's quite a spectacle. The basket winner made 3 in 30 seconds.

Every ball golf outing I ever played had a long drive hole somewhere on the course. Now I know that the majority of courses don't have a hole that you could do this on, but it would be nice to see once in a while.

Great idea although the last time I saw that happen only a few guys even tried! The five biggest arms in the tourney duked it out while everyone else watched. Perhaps there could be multiple divisions you could choose to compete in - forehand, backhand, overhand...men, women, juniors...maybe even a mini driving contest for those that have the unfortunate noodle arm!

Latest posts