• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tourney morning

Playing catch is a great way to warm up. The disc always comes back to you. The catching device is very forgiving, it helps relieve stress, you can also get some good move in trying to catch a disc.

I like to think keep think the stress level as low as possible. If you like to putt before a round, keep your putts shorts so you make a bunch high confidence. Also putt with a wind that allows discs to go in I prefer a 7 o'clock tailwind at 15ft. Confidence. Make sure to finish your warm-up before the 2 minute sounds. Its good for your mental game. You stay in control of your warm-up if you wait until the horn someone else is telling you to stop warming up, what if you just missed 3 putts etc etc.

Keep the confidence high and stress low keys to a good warm-up

I do the same thing that I do before every round. Stretch out for about 5-10 minutes, mainly focusing on my back. I'll maybe go to a hole and throw some drives, only about five and usually just putters and mids. Then I'll just head back and shoot the breeze. I typically don't practice putt before a round, I prefer to just trust my muscle memory once I get out there... But if I do putt, it's to boost my confidence so I'll just take two putters and bang in about 10 putts from 10-15 feet.

Smoke a blunt, forget what hole I start on, go back and check, run to hole, forget scorecard, run back and grab, run to hole, Ace x 18, repeat next round.

I stretch for 10 minutes or so, toss a tennis ball FH and BH against a wall to warm up my arm, throw some putter, mids and FW shots, find an isolated basket and putt some. But execution is only half the game.

The most important pre-round element for me is thinking about thinking. My best rounds come when I've corralled my subconscious, seeing only what I want to happen on each throw and not allowing "don't do _______" into my mind. I remind myself to focus solely on my target, trust my throw and accept the result, whatever it might be.

During the round I won't mentally keep track of my (or others') score. It's a distraction from the only focus that matters -- the next shot. For some reason, the less I care about the outcome, the better my results.

I then remind myself -- Don't complain. About anything. Not even to myself. At Emporia Worlds I watched one competitor after another fall victim to their own bitching and angst over the conditions, faulty shots and bad breaks. Not for me, bubba.

Improved and focused thinking is more responsible for my back-to-back World titles than any other factor. What disc I throw matters little, how I think prior to the throw determines my fate. (A tip o' the hat to Paul Priest, who introduced me to Bob Rotella's thinking, which now shapes the way I play.)

Poop, stretching,cigar, putting, drives, bathroom again just to make sure and in that order.

Gotta learn what works for you, dont listen to anyone's opinion. I know people that like to warm up alot and others who swear that no play at all is the better way to go. Most are in the middle somewhere. Totally depends on you though and what your body needs. I have minor arthritis issues so personally i need to warm up a little, 10-15min putting and a couple holes. But someone with less body issues than me i can imagine would be fine with less warmup. Totally depends on you.

Totally agree with the it depends factor. I'm 38 and not in the best shape or strong arm so I want to limit throws cause it's a long day. A few easy putts from under 15' to gain confidence is perfect. If I know the course really well, I have already pre-planned and played every throw mentally in any condition I may face. Remember, most of us aren't pros so remember to HAVE FUN!

Gotta learn what works for you, dont listen to anyone's opinion. I know people that like to warm up alot and others who swear that no play at all is the better way to go. Most are in the middle somewhere. Totally depends on you though and what your body needs. I have minor arthritis issues so personally i need to warm up a little, 10-15min putting and a couple holes. But someone with less body issues than me i can imagine would be fine with less warmup. Totally depends on you.

This. I recommend figuring our for yourself what is "too little" and "too much", then choosing whatever amount of warmup is between those threshholds that you enjoy most.

For "too little", ponder this: When you practice putting, how many putts does it take before your made percentage isn't increasing anymore? For me, it's 10-20, after which I'm putting as well as I will after 100. When you play a round without practice drives, how many holes does it take before you're throwing about as well as you're likely to throw? To get tuned in? For me, that's usually in the first 3 holes. That's all the warmup I need.

For "too much", does your game start to tail off in the 2nd round? If you're throwing just as well at the end of the final round as you were at the beginning, any extra warmup, even playing the hole course for warmup, did no harm.

I generally warm up with putters and mids...toss a few to get loose and then find an empty basket for a few minutes of putting. I'll take a bit of a hike to ensure I'm by myself for this. After that, coffee is a must. It also helps to talk with friends and get a few laughs in before teeing off!

Throw a few, putt for a bit. Make sure i get good and warm. Then sit on my ass for the elongated players meeting they always have at the Tourneys here that last like 30-45 damn minutes. Realize all the warm-up was pointless because i just sat for an hour and then try to magically warm back up in 4 putts before round starts.

Latest posts