• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Towel Drill Directions+Audio (Poll)

it is the same 12x12" towel. i just trimmed the frayed edges so it wasn't so ragged.

i'm currently experimenting with a larger and heavier towel, in hopes to better replicate the weight of an actual disc.

i feel that the weight of the small towel can be both a good and bad thing.
  • the good= easier to learn the timing and proper mechanics
    the bad= it can be too easy to manipulate the towel due to its light weight & the feel does not directly transfer with a disc in hand

working with the small towel is a great starting point. the small towel can teach you what the timing feels like, and how your body needs to work with proper mechanics. later you can step up to the heavier towel and already know what your body has to do. starting for the first time with heavier towel is like relearning the drill all over again, but after mastering the small towel it is a short transition from woosh...to pop...to crack with the heavier towel.

more repetitions and field work will be the final testing. i think this progression can lead to promising results.

I have a higher rate of success with this drill when I act like I'm throwing a huge hyzer. Not spike huge but yeah. Am I cheating?

Redisculous said:
I have a higher rate of success with this drill when I act like I'm throwing a huge hyzer. Not spike huge but yeah. Am I cheating?

That's interesting considering I feel like I've been getting more behind my throws when I throw a huge hyzer (or starting throws from more hyzer).

Redisculous said:

you are not cheating. it is hard to tell you why you feel it more when hyzering without seeing what is going on. i imagine that you are activating your wrist before you begin powering through with your elbow.

you should be trying to replicate your hyzer timing with your other throws. with your other throws you are most likely overpowering too soon and strong arming it.

*OR* with your huge hyzer motion you are fully opening your wrist toward your target. the best way to perform an efficient hyzer is to hit it hard through and towards the target, this will give you a penetrating shot with a hyzer angle. for some the hyzer motion is not efficient and when/if they hit it, it is toward the sky and not through the target.

i hope some of what i said clicks for you or can relate to.

Redisculous said:

I think it has to do with with more arm extension which translates into a tighter pull which increases snap potential.

Anyone incorporate the hammer drills, specifically backhand, with snapping the towel? Do these two excersises go hand in hand, so to speak? Obviously the weight shift would still be a little more difficult to feel, but will the "pound the hammer" motions, when done correctly, result in a crack?

Latest posts