• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Training Regimen: Worst Drive - Best Putt

jenb

* Ace Member *
I've decided I want to become the kind of player who is cautious on drives and aggressive on putts. To that end, I've started practicing by playing worst shot, except for hole outs. So a single hole out on two shots always counts as a hole out. My spouse thinks I should do the opposite, and train to drive aggressively and lay up putts. What do you think?

:confused:
Not entirely sure what you mean, an example situation would be nice.

I would say be more agressive on what you are worse at- more room to improve, so you might as well push the limit you have to get better.

I prefer your style over your husband's jen. I throw what I deem to be the safest line to get me a putt, and then go for the putt aggressively.

With that said, sometimes it still is smarter to lay up a putt if there is OB or a drop-off.

Drive for show putt for dough.

I think if you can keep yourself out of trouble, or get out of trouble easily, and can putt well you are better off than the person that can throw a mile, but with little accuracy, and has to be with in 15' to be a decent putter

But really having both a accurate drive and being a great putter is probably best

If you plan on laying up on every throw you better practice throw ins, not putting.

The difference between a 40' putt and a 25' putt is execution, not risk management. You need to chase the same line for both.

But your method of practicing is sound. but it won't do exactly what you want. It will force you to become more consistent at driving over better at longer putts.

Jen, I have no clue about your game, but from your posts I gather you think way too much. Try a tourney where you just go out, play, and have some freaking fun. Don't try to over analyze everything. Play to your strengths and enjoy yourself. Fun first, victory later.

As an example, throw two drives, and take the worst unless you ace on one of the shots. Then, throw two upshots or putts from your worst lie and take the worst result unless you hole out on one of the shots. Repeat until you hole out on one of the shots.

@ sloppy, it amuses me to try this so I guess I'm already following your advice. Analysis/strategy is fun to me.

That's my point. You seem to enjoy the chase more than the win. Just go do your thing and win a few. It seems like you work hard enough, and care enough to win a few, now go do it. Quit screwing around already.

Is this a doubles thing? If it is, I'd say having to make both putts would be very stressful.

Both sound like fun to me. I guess my advice would be that to better simulate competitive play, the shot you stress about more in competitive rounds should be the one you play worst shot on.

I think there's a time to be aggressive on putts and times to lay up.
Don't go for a birdie putt that is going to miss long and leave you scrambling to salvage a bogey.

Similarly, if you're on a wide open hole and you are aggressive with your drive, missing 50-100 ft either way might still leave you with comparable approach shots to your conservative drive right down the middle.

I don't think you can play effectively with an either/or strategy like that.
Let the hole and the situation dictate how you approach and play it.
Many times you can play a 2 for 1 shot, going for the gusto while still leaving you in a favorable position if you come up empty.

HERESY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will occasionally play worst shot or tough shot when playing solo (thanks for the link, hadn't seen that before). I think the real value in it is practicing tough upshots and utility shots. It's also nice when your worst shot still results in a birdie. Whether it's "screwing around" or not, it's a nice twist on just playing another solo round.

I understand what you are saying. It's like the difference in my dad and I. My dad (6'3" 300+ with multiple back surgeries at 42yo) can't drive more than 250-300 feet on flat ground, but is a putting fool. He is an awesome putter and short game is his specialty. I, on the other hand (6'3" 180 and always been an athlete) can out-drive him by 150'. I tend to go for the drives, and lay up for par unless it's within 50-60 feet. Then I go for it without ruining my next putt. But my long game tends to be my strong point.
So, what I'm saying is, if short game is your strong point, I would say to take two drives, controlled and in the fairway first, and then go for the gusto on the second. play the first until you think you really know how you tend to play the best. Then, play like that.

HERESY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL. nice.

On a serious note though:

The training exercise doesn't address the type of player you want to be. If you play your worst drive you're actually training your upshot and get-out-of-trouble ability. WHICH is awesome and very good for your game in general, but it doesn't directly teach you to drive safer, it just teaches you how to fix your screw ups.

Nothing bad to say about practicing aggressive putts as long as you also practice layups for when the situation is appropriate. IM(humble)O the most valuable aspect of a good approach game is knowing when to go for chains and when to go for the dirt under the basket.

The best way to learn to be conservative off the tee is to prioritize accuracy over distance in field sessions, and to practice driving conservatively during rounds: find the target landing zone for the drive, pick the shot and disc, and execute.

Just my .02

I've decided I want to become the kind of player who is cautious on drives and aggressive on putts. To that end, I've started practicing by playing worst shot, except for hole outs. So a single hole out on two shots always counts as a hole out. My spouse thinks I should do the opposite, and train to drive aggressively and lay up putts. What do you think?

Play your biggest gap and % shot at all times. And then go for the basket if you can see it. Obviously lay up on extreme slope greens at distance.

Try that for two weeks on courses you play the same lines over and over see how that does.

IMO you should go for everything and try everything in practice. Play agressive, chase the basket with every shot. That way you know what you can, what you still have to learn and how safe you are with certain shots. Practice is to work on your technique and learn your limits.

Strategy and course management and all that comes into play when you play rounds or when you play tournaments. It's a whole other game. In tournaments you have to decide for every shot wether you can do it consistantly enugh or wether you should play safe.

I think keeping the two separated helps.

My earlier reply was directed more at a competitive round as opposed to practice.

In regards to your practice options, it depends more on your goals and what you are trying to improve on.
Your drive, whether it's good, bad, or somewhere in between, is going to determine what you are throwing next -- another drive, fairway approach, midrange approach, putter approach, putt, or get out of trouble shot.
Then, most of those could be BH, FH, OH, roller, etc.
So, if you get in trouble with 75-100 ft approach shots, but are able to put most 150-200 ft shots right under the basket, you probably wouldn't want to be taking your worst shot in that situation if you are trying to work on your overall consistency.

Jen. If I'm playing alone. I will always play two shots on every hole. As if there are two people playing. Then I record the highest score. Example; if I'm playing two discs, and My scores are a 2 and a 4, then I will record the 4. This is a good way to practice different shots. I take a more conservative first tee shot and a more aggressive second tee shot. This gives practice doing both. I also record for each hole whether the aggressive tee shot or the conservative tee shot had the highest score. It's a fun way to break up the normal round and provides a little competition.

I've found that it really doesn't take that much longer to play a round this way but it doubles your practice time.

Edit: the reason I record the highest score and not the lowest is because you have to play every shot like it matters. If you park one drive (and your taking the lowest score) then there is no incentive to throw a good second tee shot. Hope this makes sense.

Last edited: