• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Training with 150-class

msirota

Right now over on the PDGA forum (in the Cheetah thread) there is a discussion about whether 150-class discs are good or bad for technique development. Some say they mask technique flaws, others say they expose them.

Apparently there is no established conventional wisdom on this. My sense is that this forum is more objective than that one; over there, people seem to be trying to validate their choices rather than participate in honest debate, so I thought I'd ask this one here...

My feeling is that light discs fly more like flying discs and less like projectiles, thus exposing flaws in technique, while also being easier to accelerate and easier on the body. I'm told that heavier discs are more consistent/predictable, which I think probably means more forgiving -- meaning they mask variation in technique. The only real downside I've come up with for light discs is that disc selection is limited -- many discs are not available in lighter weights, and others are hard to find.

I always recommend light drivers to newer players, and find that people generally get better faster with light discs, at least early on. I think that's partially because they get more D, and are therefore happier, which compels them to stick with it... I can't prove that their technique improves quicker because of the light discs, though.

If you agree that light discs are good learning tools, at what point should a player "graduate" to heavier plastic? How does one tell that it's time, and what further improvements should one see?

Disclaimer: My usual bag has four 150g drivers/mids (Sidewinder, Teebird, Leopard, Panther, all Champion) and a 165g mid/putter (XD), so I'm definitely coming at this as a fan of light discs. I do have others, but these are the five I regularly throw. My local course is shortish and very heavily wooded with narrow fairways and low ceilings, and there is almost never any wind.

Thanks for sharing your insight.

"150 class discs will reveal every flaw in your throw."

Blake said this in another forum if thst a good eough answer for you

This is an interesting topic to me, because I have had some good experiences with practicing using light discs. Basically, my opinion is that practicing with light and understable discs improves your form. Since proper disc tossing is about form and not power it is a very good exercise. After learning to hyzer flip my 150 class discs I had a lot easier time throwing my 160-170g drivers straighter and farther. If it's all about form (and I believe it is), then it's smart to have a practice disc that shows flaws in your form. I know that it has helped me tremendously. 8)