• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Translating Mike Trout's Swing to Disc Golf

JoshFromMN

Hi Everyone,

I like this video of Mike Trout explaining his swing and felt it deserved some attention in the DG forums. He concisely explains some biomechanics that overlap across many athletic motions, including hucking discs. Many disc golfers struggle with directing their force down a straight line, balance, weight transfer and connecting their core to their hands at the point of contact. If you're one of those people (and aren't we all?), training in different sports can help with that.

Mike's first few words about his inside-out swing and trying to hit to right-center every time are direct analogs to getting deep into the power pocket and pulling in a straight line. When Trout talks about being a pull hitter in high school, that means he was "rounding" his baseball swing. He was releasing the head of the bat before his hands [and the pitch] got to the point of contact resulting in all of the forces of his swing coming off line and pointing towards his back (thereby hitting the ball to left field), much like a new disc golfer who is using their arms too early and constantly shanking right. Unlike in baseball, where you can get a hit anywhere in the field of play, we're always trying to hit our line. So what Mike says about sculpting his swing to hit to the same spot on the field (center-right) every time is part of what makes his technique great for disc golf.

The video goes on to explain his swing in more detail, and what they discuss about bat angle through the zone also translates to disc golf. Keeping your swing on plane with the pitch is equivalent to staying on plane through the rip, getting that perfect spin/angle control on your throws and efficiently delivering power. Enough about the theory; why is this approach useful?

The real value to a disc golfer comes from holding onto a baseball bat and trying to hit line drives to the opposite field. The bat gives you better feedback on your weight distribution & core-to-hands timing than a disc does. Swinging a bat requires you to stay balanced and recruit your leg & core muscles optimally because it's heavy, whereas it's very easy to flail around in a goofy manner with a disc. Swinging a bat also gives you a better feel for your angle through the zone, making it more apparent when you're rolling over on a swing/shot. Ultimately, better bat speed equals better disc speed. Once you know the feeling of smoking a line drive to dead-center or the opposite field in baseball, you know what a proper smash feels like from the tee: centered, connected, effortless, with a heavy hand when you're actually swinging the bat or ripping on the disc. The key is staying inside-out on your swing/throw (get into the power pocket with that bat/disc comfortably in control) and driving all your force to center/opposite field (staying back/releasing late/staying on a straight line).

I would encourage everyone looking to improve their game to watch the video, grab a bat (or any stick) and do some tinkering. Trying to replicate Trout's swing gives a great feel for connecting all the forces in your body. I've also found that when I'm on the tee and I imagine making solid contact on a line drive with a bat right at the basket, rather than throwing a disc, the timing and balance becomes more natural. These same concepts have long been related to a hammer throw, which is also appropriate, but Mike Trout is an amazing athlete, the best baseball player ever, and the videos of him demonstrating and explaining his technique are more readily available than any would-be professional hammer throwers.

Does this help? Think I'm full of crap? Do you think Mike Trout is full of crap (You don't, do you?)?? Has this been covered to death (I only saw one other mention of Trout in a quick forum search)? Let me know.

Cheers

Ken Climo said he used to bat lefty growing up.

I'd recommend swinging/releasing/tossing the bat/hammer/golf club/stick one-handed to feel that inside-out wide arm release without pull hooking everything WTF Richard.

Feldberg tossing the club:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHy227OYGP0#t=25m30s

Me tossing the hammer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-KVWfUkQ3s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U00VMoYnJQ

Also helps to throw something much lighter than a disc like this cup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaJTv8wUepA

Very glad I saw this. When my little brother started playing disc golf I told him it's like swinging a bat it fixed a lot of his problems. That is an excellent breakdown

Very glad I saw this. When my little brother started playing disc golf I told him it's like swinging a bat it fixed a lot of his problems. That is an excellent breakdown

As long as they are swinging the bat correctly.
Took me a while with a nephew who was a decent hitter in little league and I started by telling him to swing like hitting lefty. Wow... weight all on the back leg throwing a Sky hyzer.
It helped to say like in this thread try like you are hitting a line drive to the opposite field... imagine a shifted defense like they do for pull hitters and you are trying to line it to the vacant short stop for an easy double. Took a bit... trying to break him of 100% FH throws.

That's a pretty backhand by Federer. It also demonstrates many of the things emphasized by Trout: tracking the ball with his head until it's nearly square with his body, keeping the racquet inside until his hand and the ball are entering the hitting zone by his right shoulder & then driving the shot to center-left.

I really like the opposite field line drive hitting drill because I found it to be an easy way to develop the feel for delivering power with your hand(s) while your swing is accelerating through contact, just like Roger and Mike. Hitting to the opposite field forces you to make contact before your bat has gone past perpendicular with the line of the incoming pitch, which is that critical moment where it becomes very difficult for you to continue accelerating the bat/disc/racquet/etc through contact. The longer you can keep the bat inside your hands, the more effortless and powerful the contact feels when you do bring it through the zone, which is what we're looking for in disc golf as well.

It's possible some people won't feel properly rewarded for crushing a flat line drive with a hammer because they don't lift at all. They don't go very far when smashed flat, unlike a disc or baseball which will lift or roll. Do you find the hammer drills have a tendency to reward more of a late uppercut, pull-type swing (the proverbial yank) because it causes the hammer to go higher and farther than a line drive to the opposite field does?

I just watched Bradley Walker's video about the power pocket/arc, and it's also a great resource for exploring the feeling of locating and driving through the point of contact. He talks about driving his forearm more towards the left, rather than down his line or towards his pull side, and that's exactly the feel I'm talking about developing by hitting opposite field line drives. I think that's the missing element in most players games, and you can almost ignore all the other minutiae related to technique until you develop that feel.

Looks like you guys have this stuff pretty well covered here!

I really like the opposite field line drive hitting drill because I found it to be an easy way to develop the feel for delivering power with your hand(s) while your swing is accelerating through contact, just like Roger and Mike. Hitting to the opposite field forces you to make contact before your bat has gone past perpendicular with the line of the incoming pitch, which is that critical moment where it becomes very difficult for you to continue accelerating the bat/disc/racquet/etc through contact. The longer you can keep the bat inside your hands, the more effortless and powerful the contact feels when you do bring it through the zone, which is what we're looking for in disc golf as well.

It's possible some people won't feel properly rewarded for crushing a flat line drive with a hammer because they don't lift at all. They don't go very far when smashed flat, unlike a disc or baseball which will lift or roll. Do you find the hammer drills have a tendency to reward more of a late uppercut, pull-type swing (the proverbial yank) because it causes the hammer to go higher and farther than a line drive to the opposite field does?
One of the major differences between hitting and throwing is that hitting has to allow for a large contact area/margin of error to release and still follow thru safely holding on to object. Throwing is unrestricted release and follow thru an absolute point. This is also why IMO golf is a better example than baseball hitters, the golf ball is a much more defined point to swing thru compared to a batter trying to hit a baseball flying 90mph at them and designed to decept them. I think pitching is also more relatable in many ways because it's about maximizing everything in the body to the ball, just that disc golf BH is more like submarine/sidearm pitch backwards rather than overhand pitch backwards like most noobs/strong armer do that should be a roller but they have the disc so nose up/off plane it bounces instead. Pitchers don't hesitate in the stride/swing like a batter.

Throwing further is more like the Long Toss Drill that pitchers do as well, make the swing longer and more effortless to throw further/faster. To effortlessly toss the ball/hammer/disc further you also have to throw upward. There is no such thing as a flat swing plane with how the body works. Most people try to throw downward/overhand with the disc released nose up. They don't understand how to throw upward with the disc nose down, and feels completely different like opposite of what is more natural/overhand and overhand feels much more powerful, whole underhand tosses feel more effortless.

When you swing centrifugally the release should be extremely predictable and consistent. When tossing the hammer there shouldn't be any yank or slack. Everything should feel more pulled taut even when bent, like Olympic hammer throwers have no slack in the chain, if they did who knows where that thing would get yanked off to. IMO people need to throw the disc more like it's on a string from your hand(ball on string), people are trying to manipulate the slack and create spin with their arms, rather than tossing the weight/centrifugally using the body/arm unit which automatically creates spin on release.

I just watched Bradley Walker's video about the power pocket/arc, and it's also a great resource for exploring the feeling of locating and driving through the point of contact. He talks about driving his forearm more towards the left, rather than down his line or towards his pull side, and that's exactly the feel I'm talking about developing by hitting opposite field line drives. I think that's the missing element in most players games, and you can almost ignore all the other minutiae related to technique until you develop that feel.

Looks like you guys have this stuff pretty well covered here!

zvvu6j7.png

To borrow your image from the Bradley Walker thread, the point at which the green line moves from the right/inside to the left/outside of the red line is the moment in the swing where I initially felt a benefit in practicing the inside-out opposite field swing drill.

Once I had developed the feeling of delivering power at that moment with a bat, it led me to the discovery of a feel for my disc golf throws that is similar to the one Bradley talks about in his video: pushing your forearm in the direction of the green line where it intersects the red line, so that the disc will then get pulled out of you hand as it approaches the black line of play.

To borrow your image from the Bradley Walker thread, the point at which the green line moves from the right/inside to the left/outside of the red line is the moment in the swing where I initially felt a benefit in practicing the inside-out opposite field swing drill.

Once I had developed the feeling of delivering power at that moment with a bat, it led me to the discovery of a feel for my disc golf throws that is similar to the one Bradley talks about in his video: pushing your forearm in the direction of the green line where it intersects the red line, so that the disc will then get pulled out of you hand as it approaches the black line of play.
Is that much different than what I teach?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2eWfwpahfk&t=1m

Is that much different than what I teach?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2eWfwpahfk&t=1m

I think we're on the same page here. I'm not super familiar with all your material, but it seems like we're just talking about different methods for achieving the same feel. Here's a crappy video I made in 3 minutes to help elaborate on my specific line of thinking, and where I found the benefit to trying to throw like a Trout!

Love the video Josh. Great explanation.

Are you the Josh that used to post on DGR? I can still remembering having an epiphany when you described the act of wrist extension as a "right-pec drill added to a right-pec drill" or "An extension on an extension". Effectively multiplying the power.