• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Traveling to Atlanta

aillet

My buddy and I are traveling to Atlanta this weekend for the 'Bama-Clemson game. We want to hit two courses while there.

I know this is late notice, but can anyone tell me what two courses would be the best? We are staying near the Hartsfield-Jackson Airport.

We were planning on Playing Redan Park and maybe Lenora Park

Thanks friends...

Being that you are on the southside, you may want to consider J.P. Moseley. It is close to Redan and both courses were the home of Hotlanta this psst month.

That is SO crazy -- I was just thinking about posting this exact same question, since I'm going to have a long layover in Atlanta on a Sunday afternoon in a few weeks and was wondering which course I could run over to with a quick rental car from the ATL airport. Random.

So Blang, if I'm most concerned about the clock (i.e. NOT missing my flight!), which one course would you recommend? And I mean ANY course, regardless of quality. I've never played in GA, and I want to add it as my 28th state... :)

I'm looking at the map and seeing Moseley (33 minute drive according to G-Maps), Redan (36 min.), McMurry in Fayetteville, and the 9-hole in Peachtree City (34 min.). You can't always trust those driving times, but it is a Sunday afternoon... Any advice would be great.

(Sorry to piggyback on your post, aillet!)

I'm looking at the map and seeing Moseley (33 minute drive according to G-Maps), Redan (36 min.), McMurry in Fayetteville, and the 9-hole in Peachtree City (34 min.). You can't always trust those driving times, but it is a Sunday afternoon... Any advice would be great.

The 9 holes in PTC isn't really worth going to since you're travelling. If you're sitting in a hotel in PTC then it's worth walking over too. But the new Fayetteville course is on that side of town and it's worth playing. It's a little of hard to navigate the first time though. If there's not a map in the files section post something to get someone to help you with finding all the holes.

They're used to be a course in Hogansville called Ant Farm or something like that. Does anyone know what happened to it?

That is SO crazy -- I was just thinking about posting this exact same question, since I'm going to have a long layover in Atlanta on a Sunday afternoon in a few weeks and was wondering which course I could run over to with a quick rental car from the ATL airport. Random.

So Blang, if I'm most concerned about the clock (i.e. NOT missing my flight!), which one course would you recommend? And I mean ANY course, regardless of quality. I've never played in GA, and I want to add it as my 28th state... :)

Oh wait.... regardless of quality. I missed that part. I don't know about the others but the company I fly for is based in PTC. I airline in to the ATL airport and drive to PTC all the time. It will take you exactly 30 minutes to drive from the ATL airport to the disc golf course in PTC. Provided there's no terrible traffic.

Last edited:
Perfect -- that's exactly the kind of local info I needed. I wish I could play an 18 in Fayetteville or elsewhere, but I literally might not have enough time for that. Just trying to squeeze one in.

Sorry to hijack the post -- now back to aillet's original question!

My question has been answered as well. I don't mind the sidetrack. This is the best website for disc golf for that very reason. Everyone seems willing to share what they know.

I think our plan is to play Redan, and if I have enough time, make my way down to JP Moseley.

Thanks for the input, blang.

Redan is a great course...but be sure to lock the car....rough area.

Here are the travel times I came up with from the Airport (in min., from least to most):
Douglassville- Deerlick = 30
Fayetteville= 32
Stockbridge- Moseley= 33
Redan= 35
Peachtree City= 38

I've played all but Moseley and PTC. Of the remaining 3 my order for quality would be Redan, Fayetteville, Deerlick.
A PTC review says it's good to play if short on time. With only 9 holes that's the place to finish fastest.
Moseley is long, esp the longest tees, so that will take longer to play.

The Hogansville course has closed, baskets sold to another course as I understand it.

If I were flying into Atlanta, I would want to play East Roswell or Redan.

What day are you looking to play?
We could possibly find you a guide for Fayetteville.

Hey Aillet ... how is Gustav going to affect your travel plans?

Dude are you still a putter??:p We need to start a Shreveport thread to help get you to Mid Range.

Yeah, after reading the reviews, I think I'll do PTC. Of course, I do hope to head back to GA someday to play the 18ers around Atlanta, and over in Augusta. Living up in New England, I don't get down there very often, but I've read & seen lots of great stuff about Georgia DG.

Best of luck with the possible crazy storm coming to that region -- I hope everyone stays safe!

Bikedoctor,

The name "Aillet" is cajun for "Storm, you call this a storm? I call it a drizzle."

Being from Shreveport, you should know that North LA is not affected by the gulf weather, but the confluence of people looking for hotel vacancies.

Yeah, after reading the reviews, I think I'll do PTC.

Luke,

I updated the Latitude/Longitude location of the course in PTC to put you right in to the Church parking lot next to hole 1. That's where people usually park for that course.

But... if you have the time and you can get someone to lead you around the F-ville course it would probably be more fun. It's a much longer course and it will take quite a bit more time to play though. It doesn't take long to play 9 holes in PTC. I'm just guessing but it probably took and hour and a half the last time I played a round in Fayetteville. Does that sound right to the other guys who have played there?

j

It only took me about 40 minutes to play Fayetteville but I must give the caveat that I play faster than just about anyone.

Thanks John... I will definitely bring my GPS along. Yeah, 90 minutes sounds a bit risky for me... I'd rather have the happy surprise of having time for two or three rounds at PTC than only finish half of Fayetteville. I'll be back someday, I'm sure.

I am late getting back to the question, but J.P. Moseley is a great course but take a while to play. I think that Redan is your best bet but Atlanta traffic is going to be a major issue. STAY AWAY FROM I-75 inside the perimeter of I-285 this weekend.

Major Atlanta traffic this labor day weekend

It only took me about 40 minutes to play Fayetteville but I must give the caveat that I play faster than just about anyone.

I was in a 2-some and we weren't in a hurry. You could definitely get it done faster than what we did.

Latest posts