• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tree Planting and Course Design

Is it possible to transplant something from another area of the park?

Side warning if public course that parks depts can be pretty touchy about planting. All our items have to be run through approval with the biologist and planner. Easier to talk to them and get their suggestions first. We're hoping for a similar project soon and we work out a water use agreement (step 1 for us).

Would love to hear how you get along.

Just an idea for future projects, but I just got 40 trees for free from the local USFS office on Arbor Day. They pick native trees and had a selection this year of Cottonwoods and a couple of different oaks. For my purposes, flood tolerant trees were a must so I went with the Cottonwoods which have a moderate flood tolerance in addition to some sycamores previously planted. Both are fast growing.

Cottonwoods, sycamores, willows and many other trees can be propagated from cuttings as well. So if there are such trees in other areas of the park, you may be able to get cuttings to fill your needs (although you are starting with a very small size).

Saplings i assume doof? "Free" actual trees would be amazing.

Playing some old Oak lined parks is pretty damn fun around here. All you find for free are often some kind of pine. Well acorns can be easily harvested too lol.

Saplings i assume doof? "Free" actual trees would be amazing.

Playing some old Oak lined parks is pretty damn fun around here. All you find for free are often some kind of pine. Well acorns can be easily harvested too lol.

I have yet to see saplings that are actual trees. But, yes, they were all saplings, actual trees and free.

If you expect to use the land for a very long time and your budget allows for it, go with some fast-growing trees and some slow-growing. Fast-growing trees will outlast most courses, but... either you're going to want to replace the course down the road, or convert the land over to some other use, and hard-hardwood trees are useful for either purpose.