• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Trilogy disc for the roc thrower

VictorB

* Ace Member *
hey guys, my season is winding down and I'm trying out some new discs that I've been interested in but haven't gone out of my way to try.

I've thrown rocs and ghosts for a long time, but I've been interested in the DD Truth/Emac Truth, since I got to throw them in a 2 disc challenge earlier this year. It's a nice flying disc for sure, but do the trilogy companies make something that is closer to a Ghost? And do they make it in baseline plastic? Still waiting to try a classic truth, as long as the durability is good. I remember the Pain being somewhat similar to a Roc but I know those are obsolete now and don't really want to get into a hard to find disc mold.

tl;dr - does DD/westside/lat64 make a Roc type disc?

Thanks in advance.

Try out the Mace in Zero Hard plastic. The thing is pretty close to an exact copy of the roc

There's the Westside Bard. It's not entirely like a roc. It's a bit flatter and perhaps taller, and it has a relatively small bead instead of a huge one. It flies great in my experience, pretty stable. More stable than current run Verdicts

Try out the Mace in Zero Hard plastic. The thing is pretty close to an exact copy of the roc

This. Only I have not found an overstable kind like you get with all the different plastic variations of the Roc. I want to try a recycled Mace to see if that fits the bill. I also wish there was a retro mace to beat in quick, the Zero line is durable and slow to beat in.

Definitely the Mace, at least right now since it's the only one with available baseline options. It was made so Feldberg would have a Roc to throw. If Bards were more available in BT I would say go with them.

Bard, Mace, Verdict and Emac Truth all might work. The only problem I have with Swedish companies is that they don't seem to cater to the base-line mid throwers. Maybe that demographic is just too old school. I hate premium plastic for my mids. They do have Prime plastic, but it seems as durable as Discraft "D", which equals "SUCKS".

With all that, try the Zero line Mace.

I hate premium plastic for my mids.

that's kind of the problem I'm having with the Truth/Emac.

I'll probably get some zero hard maces to try out. Never seen or handled a bard but if the mace is the roc clone I'll look there first.

I threw a Mace for a while, a nice disc. Availability in Zero plastic dried up around here and seeing as I've given up on mail order because I like to feel my discs first, I move back to Roc's.

Fun to try new plastic though, but sometimes it just rocks the boat too much and I end up with too many options and indecision is crippling at times.

The Bard is the best Roc replacement but finding the BT ones is really hard. IMO the TP beats in well enough and grips well enough to hold that spot.

Bard, Mace, Verdict and Emac Truth all might work.

:confused:

I dig the Verdict, but I've never had a Roc that overstable. Through all the lines and releases, V, SM, RC, 3, ect, I've never found a Roc to hook up as much as a Verdict.

However, I agree that EMac Truths and Maces are a fairly close comparison.

I've been bitter about the lack of baseline for a long time but I'm finding that recycled seasons quickly enough and holds a sweet spot better than dx for drivers anyway.

If you're willing to go semi-baseline that puts the Bard back on the table, but I think Maces are the closest you'll find to Rocs.

The EMac Truth is a great disc but it's more hss and will have a bit less fade than a roc. More like a longer Buzzz. Just depends what shapes you're trying to get out of that spot.

Hope you find something that works for you. I swear that roc lower is one if the worst feeling rims.

edit : people are saying newer verdicts are less high speed stable, but I'm not sure that puts it in the Roc ballpark. Any newer verdict throwers around to compare? Mine are older, decodye and beefy.

Last edited:
The EMac Truth is a great disc but it's more hss and will have a bit less fade than a roc. More like a longer Buzzz. Just depends what shapes you're trying to get out of that spot.

I've got an Emac with 1 fluid moonshine and 1 dyemax truth right now. The Emac seems like a good compromise so far but the lack of baseline plastic still bothers me. The rim shape isn't what I'm used to so I was exploring options, though I could definitely get used to it.

From trying the Bard and Mace, the Mace to me was more like a Roc3 then Rancho Roc.
I thought the Bard was more Roc like particularly in feel. The lack of baseline is a bummer on the Bard cause it was be a long way my favorite Trilogy disc.

I'd say stick with Ghosts though.

I'd say stick with Ghosts though.

Obviously that's an option, at least until Lat64 picks me up (which will likely never happen)

Never hurts to check other stuff out in the (almost) offseason. Legacy isn't available here locally - at least so far - and lat/ws/dd is, so obviously convenience and being able to hold the discs in my hand before buying is playing a role in this also.

:confused:

I dig the Verdict, but I've never had a Roc that overstable. Through all the lines and releases, V, SM, RC, 3, ect, I've never found a Roc to hook up as much as a Verdict.

However, I agree that EMac Truths and Maces are a fairly close comparison.

Had a Bio Verdict that was no where near as stable as my Lucid. The newness beat off it pretty quick, but then stayed pretty stable with a Roc like fade. Only had one, so it might have been a fluke

Having been a Roc/Buzzz thrower, finding a Trilogy replacement was the hardest thing to do about making the switch. Liked the Mace at first, but fell out with it. In comes the Bard. The Bard is especially the disc you want, especially if you can find it in BT.

The Pain was actually pretty roc like to my recollection. Are they OOP or just "obsolete"? I think youd still have the baseline issue. I have a few lavas in bags somewhere if you're hoping to get invested in unobtanium though.

Core - a bit faster, completely different grip and feel, but in calm/no winds they fly damn close for me. New they have decent hss and minimal fade, as they season they seem to lose hss and lss pretty evenly. Core will turn a bit more into a headwind but fade a bit more at the end.

Latest posts