• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Trilogy Orc?

mrDROCK

Par Member
I am on the search for an Orc-like disc out of the Trilogy family. I am familiar with the PFN Champ Orcs, but not the older pearlies, so you know where I am coming from. I enjoy them for driving forehand. I want to keep the speed around 10 as I don't have a big arm. The flight I am picturing for my forehand drivers is HSS -1 LSS 2to3. I like the Lucid, Fluid, Opto, Frost, VIP plastics.

Here are some of the discs I am considering or have heard compared to the Orc. Some may be completely off.

Dynamic Discs
Escape, Trespass

Latitude 64
Saint, Saint Pro, Mirus, Culverin

Westside Discs
Northman, Boatman, Sampo, Longbowman

Pretty sure Escape is the best answer. Def not a Saint. I can say that for sure. Saint gets flippy fast.

Sampo would fit that flight pretty well. Speed 10, has some turn, but decent fade. The elasto ones are noticeably more stable than the VIP.

Mirus is out of production. Trespass will start off a little more overstable but beats in very nicely. It's my favorite longer driver of all you listed. Culverin is the most overstable of the bunch. You probably won't get much turn out of it.

Regular Saint turns too much for me. My Saint pro started very straight to OS, and is now getting a little turn after some use.

Never thrown a Orc.

The escape is fast for a fairway, has a nice turn and some fade. Saint is flippy and more US then the escape from what I remember. Trespass is nice but speed 12 I think, destroyer-like (but, not the beefy OS kind). Saint pro is hss straight when new like a teebird, straight to fade.

I think for Pier, a s-curvy type disc works well for carving lines. Maybe a eagle (if not opposed to innova) or Dynamic Discs Escape?

I disagree on the Escape. I bag both the Escape and the Orc and the Escape is quite a bit straighter and won't handle the wind like an Orc, (I own/throw 5 Escapes and 4 Orcs).

I don't think the Trespass is a replacement either.

I haven't thrown all the discs on your list so I can't say if any of the Westside discs might work.

I'd drop Trespass (faster), Escape (straighter), Mirius (oop), Saint (flippy), Northman (straighter) and Longbowman (narrow rim) off the list.

Out of the ones left, I'd start from the Culverin or Boatman. Both are quite stable when thrown BH, but depending on your FH form could fit the bill. If they are too much, then go for the Saint Pro or Sampo based on the feel.

I loved Escapes when they first came out. Unfortunately, of the 9 I've tried, barely any of them fly the same. Either way, definitely not as fast as an Orc. They're more like a Viking.

Northman is more like a Wraith.

Sampo is pretty close, very PD like, which to me is very similar to an Orc.

I loved Escapes when they first came out. Unfortunately, of the 9 I've tried, barely any of them fly the same. Either way, definitely not as fast as an Orc. They're more like a Viking.

Northman is more like a Wraith.

I think they underrated the Escape calling it a 9. It's listed as a 2.0 rim on PDGA spec sheet so the same as the ORC. They may be more flippy then the average ORC though, I have one which I tuned stable so it barely turns at all.

I'd say not an Escape. I had an Escape and maybe it was a freak but it flew just like my Star Valk...

if you go the Escape route, get a Fluid one. That will be a bit more "orc-ish" but at least will be more stable longer.

Latitude striker was always a favorite of mine similar flight to what it sounds like you want and got out of orcs. Specs are pretty similar too.

What about a Flow or a Renegade. Haven't thrown them for a while, but they were both pretty similar back when I did throw them. Renegade had a bit less HSS and a bit more LSS, and flow was overall straighter...but from what I remembered I would put them at about 11/5/-1.5/2 at 375'. But again, haven't thrown these for years, so molds may have changed.

Latest posts