• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tuff Toe

BillFleming

* Ace Member *
Starting a new thread on this....it was in the Idio Syncrasy Shoe thread.

You should check out Tuff Toe. The shoes I put them on wore out long before the toe did, and I am a toe dragger. In fact, you can barely see any wear on the toe because the product works so well. Sure it is a little expensive for one pair of shoes, but they made the shoes wearable for at least 3x as long as I would normal take to wear a hole in a shoe's toe.

Additionally, the reason the shoes I used Tuff Toe on stopped being used was almost complete sole separation. Guess which part of the shoe did not have that problem.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001XFK4...colid=NZ2UYHV19KZP&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Since getting that advice....I have bought Tuff Toe and applied it to my shoes. I'm going to see how it works out this week.

Tuesday: Field Work (grass)
Wednesday: League (concrete tee pads)
Friday: Field Work (grass)
Saturday or Sunday (maybe both): Course work (concrete tee pads).

I've worn through the toe cap of my right shoe (Adidas Terrex Solo) by "toe dragging" on my forehand throws. New shoes are over $100, this product was less than $40. If it makes my shoes last longer...it will be well worth the price.

Once you use it, any leftover has to be used within 30 days. So I'm curious to see how long it holds up before I have to re-apply it to my shoes. Even if I have to buy another kit in 6 months or a year....that is still saving me a bunch of money.

I had been fixing the separation of the sole from the toe cap with super glue, and filling the hole in the toe cap with Shoe Goo....but I've had to re-apply the Shoe Goo after every round. This new production, if it works as advertised, will save a lot of time/effort.

I'm a huge tuff toe fan. used to put it on every pair. went from one shoe to both shoes after learning sidearm and having toe drag on both feet.

Eventually I learned not to toe drag on both side arm/backhand drives and didn't really need tough toe anymore.

Disc golf is probably one of the toughest sports on shoes I've ever played, so even with no toe drag I can rip apart shoe toe boxes in one season of regular play.

I've come to the realization that I will go through a pair of shoes in a season of DG no matter what so will just budget buying a new pair of shoes I'll use for DG per season and look/wait for whatever brand/model I use on sale and even stock up on extras.

I've put tuff toe on DG shoes. Its not that hard, but you can send shoes to the tuff toe HQ and they'll do the professional awesome application.

ds4SCXyl.jpg

If its good enough for MLB pitchers! (we actually had our rec softball cleats with tuff toe back when I still played competitive softball leagues).

Its not that hard to put on. With Disc golf I ended up having to put on tuff toe for both shoes because of toe drag on both feet sidearm/backhand.

eventually I just changed my form and have no toe drag for both sidearm/backhand.

I've used my shoes multiple times now...on concrete tee pads, grass, gravel, desert soil. Looking at the shoe, there's really no damage considering how many times I've rubbed the toe while throwing forehands. The part in the red circle looks like it has worn through to the shoe, but that is just dirt. The 'holes' are also an illusion....they are just areas where I didn't get the TuffToe applied smoothly and the photo makes them look bigger than they are. I'm really liking this stuff and am looking forward to seeing how long it lasts before I have to buy more to re-apply.

Attachments

• TuffToe.jpg
    TuffToe.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 22
I am not a toe dragger, but I'm heavy so I put a lot stress on my shoes. I had issues with the toe cap separating from the shoe primarily and it was primarily on my left foot as I pushed off.

I saw a video on KG's boot guard and thought I'd give it a shot. The application is ugly, but, so far it's holding up like a champ. I put this on in mid January so each pair has multiple rounds on them since. The black pair more so than the brown, but I've probably got 10-15 rounds on the black pair and 5-10 on the brown pair.

attachment.php

Other than the separation issue, the shoes are in good shape. Decent traction and the uppers are intact, so it would have been a real bummer to have to stop using them because they were blowing out on the left toe with some (but less) occuring on the right toe.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008SK1A30/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I probably could have done 3 pairs with the amount of material available in the package for $14, but I think it had been on the shelf too long. Even though I stirred it per direction, it was still pretty clumpy. I don't think I could store it for later use. As such I used all that I could on the two pair shoes over a two day period of apply-dry-re-apply.

It's probably similar material as the tough shoe stuff you linked. KG's definitely works, but I'm still looking at alternatives due to the fact the material seemed like it was on the verge of being unusable. I saw reviews where some people received material that had already set up too much and it was unusable.

As an alternative, my next shoe repair will be to apply a bedliner type material. Probably a little thinner than KG's, but, with multiple layers to build it up I think it will work and the finished product will look a lot cleaner.

I'm not sure what use shoe goo is. I tried it and it's a one and done application for what I was doing. I also tried silicon caulk and it worked about the same as shoe goo.

Attachments

• IMG_9498.JPG
    IMG_9498.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
tough toe is a two part epoxy. KG's is already mixed. They are both polyurethane based as are spray/paint on bedliners.

Being a two part epoxy would likely give tough toe more shelf life and it would be fresh when mixed so possibly a smoother texture.

KG's is only $14 and I'm guessing the amount of material is similar, but it's use it or lose it within a few days of when you open it.

Might be able to thin it with xylene to so it can be applied easier and cleaner.

tough toe is a two part epoxy. KG's is already mixed. They are both polyurethane based as are spray/paint on bedliners.

Being a two part epoxy would likely give tough toe more shelf life and it would be fresh when mixed so possibly a smoother texture.

KG's is only $14 and I'm guessing the amount of material is similar, but it's use it or lose it within a few days of when you open it.

Might be able to thin it with xylene to so it can be applied easier and cleaner.

TuffToe is pretty much a 'use it or lose it' option also. They state that once you start using it, any unused portion is only good for 30 days.

Still for ~$35 it's less expensive than a pair of shoes. The shoes would have probably only lasted 6 months without the TuffToe.

After having problems with even expensive shoes wearing out too quick in the toe area I've been going with cheaper shoes. But the problem there is the sole separation. I was looking to use construction adhesive and in this Project Farm comparison he also uses JB Weld epoxy which outperformed the adhesives.

https://youtu.be/JyudWdOgrNc?t=465

I only put it on about 10 days ago to fix a sole separation so it is still in my testing phase. I imagine JB Weld two part epoxy might work well for toe cap and toe dragging holes in shoes, too. It's not that expensive and easily available.

After having problems with even expensive shoes wearing out too quick in the toe area I've been going with cheaper shoes. But the problem there is the sole separation. I was looking to use construction adhesive and in this Project Farm comparison he also uses JB Weld epoxy which outperformed the adhesives.

https://youtu.be/JyudWdOgrNc?t=465

I only put it on about 10 days ago to fix a sole separation so it is still in my testing phase. I imagine JB Weld two part epoxy might work well for toe cap and toe dragging holes in shoes, too. It's not that expensive and easily available.

Thanks! I've also had some sole separation on cheaper shoes, and tried Shoe Goo. Seemed good at first, but didn't last long. :(
Will give JB weld a try.

I enjoy Project Farm, myself. ;)

Project Farm is awesome.

My concern with JB weld is that it is not flexible. It could be okay for a toe cap, but even that, it's gonna feel a bit like a steel toe.

The type of adhesive that holds the sole layers together must be something pretty special. Like discussed here, I've tried several things and they don't work and those that seem to don't last.

Project Farm is awesome.

My concern with JB weld is that it is not flexible. It could be okay for a toe cap, but even that, it's gonna feel a bit like a steel toe.

The type of adhesive that holds the sole layers together must be something pretty special. Like discussed here, I've tried several things and they don't work and those that seem to don't last.

I really didn't notice any inflexibility since I applied it on the edge where the shoe meets the sole. But I did have the other shoe separate practicing the other day and picked up some Seamer Mate gutter sealant https://www.homedepot.com/p/Amerimax-Home-Products-SeamerMate-1-oz-Gutter-Sealant-85127/100073621 to try out. I've used that on gutters before and it is flexible and super strong. It does take a couple of days to cure though. I've got my fingers crossed because that is real cheap.

I also tried the Shoo Goo, Liquid Nails, and PL3 Loctite which work for a while and then fail.

I really didn't notice any inflexibility since I applied it on the edge where the shoe meets the sole. But I did have the other shoe separate practicing the other day and picked up some Seamer Mate gutter sealant https://www.homedepot.com/p/Amerimax-Home-Products-SeamerMate-1-oz-Gutter-Sealant-85127/100073621 to try out. I've used that on gutters before and it is flexible and super strong. It does take a couple of days to cure though. I've got my fingers crossed because that is real cheap.

I also tried the Shoo Goo, Liquid Nails, and PL3 Loctite which work for a while and then fail.

Yep. Sole glue is ancient alien technology!

I used SuperGlue where the sole separated. That held it together very well and then applying TuffToe over the sole seam and the toe cap took care of protecting all of it from more damage.

I was able to apply some more TuffToe after the 30 days had passed, but they only give you two nozzles for the applicator and they aren't re-usable.

had a sole seperation & used this:
loctite-specialty-adhesive-2320563-64_1000.jpg

Loctite Shoe Glue
first application didn't hold, so i used the whole rest of the tube & it has stayed together for the past couple of months ~ 14rounds
used shoe goo in the past & it didn't last as long as this has

Latest posts