• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Typical Payouts at a B-Tier?

penbeatssword

I'm entering my first tournament next weekend, a B-Tier. I'm not sure which division I should enter in. I'm eligible for Advanced Masters, which has two others entered so far. Intermediate has 13, and Rec has 8.

I played the course for the first time today, and if I play similarly in both rounds of the tournament, and scores are similar to last year's tournament, I would come in 2nd or 3rd in Advanced Masters, or around 10th in Intermediate. I can't find past scores for Rec. I know those are a lot of "ifs", and I can't predict a tournament score from one casual round, but it's at least a ballpark estimate.

I've only been playing for a couple months, so I'm not expecting to be too competitive. But if I want to maximize my chances of winning some plastic, which division makes sense?

How many positions in each division usually get a payout? Are payouts similar for those three divisions? Or would I get more for a 10th place Intermediate or Rec finish than a 3rd place Advanced Masters?

As I said, I'm mostly just looking to have fun, but I figure I might as well put myself in a place where I have the best chance of getting a payout.

Payouts in PDGA events are determined by a standard table, paying out the top 40 to 50% of the field. How much the payout might be in any division depends on entry fee paid, player pack value (minimum $10 in B-tier), and possible sponsorship. The TD would be the best person to ask for details on all that.

Bigger fields assure more opportunity to win something, but don't necessarily assure larger payouts to the winners.

Thanks for the response. Are you saying that 40-50% of each division get a payout, or just that 40-50% of the overall field get a payout, so only one person in a smaller division would get anything?

For example, if there were only four people in a division, would two typically get a payout, or just the top 1, because the other divisions had more people?

You're right, of course, the only way to really know is to ask the TD. I'll reach out to him and see what he says.

Thanks again for your help.

Just play rec. You've only been playing a few months. I'm sure that would put you in the best position to win some plastic. Have fun.

I would imagine that it varies by region. In the Houston area, the advanced masters is much more competitive than Rec. If your average score is less than what a 900 rated round was at the last tournament, I would recommend Rec for your first tournament.

But if I want to maximize my chances of winning some plastic, which division makes sense?

If you are wanting to maximize your chances of winning plastic, you aren't playing for the right reasons :\

Just play with the other old guys
That's what i do
Because I don't ever plan on winning anything, just having fun, enjoying the experience

If you are wanting to maximize your chances of winning plastic, you aren't playing for the right reasons :\

I get what you're saying, and to some extent, I agree. That's not my primary reason for playing. I was just trying to put myself in the best position to win something, if that was an option. My main goal is to have fun and get some experience.

Your best odds are in whichever division is less competitive---has higher winning and midpoint scores. That varies by locality---some places, Advanced Masters aren't far behind Advanced.

If the skill levels are equal, your odds are about the same. Finishing 2nd out of 5 gives you about the same percentage of the payout as finishing 8th out of 20. But the amount of the payout tends to be a little higher in a larger division.

There are non-payout advantages to a larger division---not playing with the same people every round, and better odds of a close finish. But there are also advantages to playing in a particular division---Advanced Masters, if you prefer to play with people your age, or Rec or Intermediate, depending on how casual or serious you are. These also vary by locality.

Yeah OP, you shouldn't play for the reasons that you want to play, you should play for the reasons cefire thinks you should play for

Your best odds are in whichever division is less competitive---has higher winning and midpoint scores. That varies by locality---some places, Advanced Masters aren't far behind Advanced.

If the skill levels are equal, your odds are about the same. Finishing 2nd out of 5 gives you about the same percentage of the payout as finishing 8th out of 20. But the amount of the payout tends to be a little higher in a larger division.

There are non-payout advantages to a larger division---not playing with the same people every round, and better odds of a close finish. But there are also advantages to playing in a particular division---Advanced Masters, if you prefer to play with people your age, or Rec or Intermediate, depending on how casual or serious you are. These also vary by locality.

Great answer. :thmbup:

I'd play rec. Around here skill wise Adv Master is in between Intermediate and Advanced.

Agree with the bolded statement. I have played tournaments in the Southeast, Mid-Atlantic, Northeast and Midwest and below is the breakdown I see with Advanced Masters. If you are playing Rec or Intermediate, you may not have as much fun as playing with older players as the younger guys can get a bit intense. You also should get a pretty good players pack if you are only really playing for plastic. Know the rules for sure and have fun!

Southeast - most players 910 - 960 rated, won numerous amatuer tournaments, rarely play open masters.

Northeast, Mid-Atlantic and Midwest - 830 - 915 rated, many have played a long time (20+ years), play am and open masters.

Just play with the other old guys
That's what i do
Because I don't ever plan on winning anything, just having fun, enjoying the experience

One of the best things I've ever done. Moved up to MM1 this year and every tournament was a blast.

Previous year of playing in AM2 was just frustrating with "know it all" card mates that had no idea of the rules of the game.

Just about to say this.

If you aren't familiar with tournaments and tournament play, play Rec. If you want a more competitive experience, play Advanced Masters. If you want something more in the middle, play Intermediate. Don't focus on winning anything...you'll only get in your own head. Just focus on fun and playing the best golf you can.

40-50% in each division.

Between 33% to 50 % :p
I think this is the accepted PDGA guideline. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Examples:

3 person division will pay out 1 (33%)
4 person division will pay out 2 (50%)
5 person division will pay out 2 (40%)

My rating indicates I should play rec, but rec drives me insane. People with no mini, people who have never heard of a falling putt, people who have no idea what to do when a disc goes O.B...I have to be really, really patient to play Rec. Playing Advanced Masters is more fun because I can just play and not worry so much about teaching everyone else on my card the basic rules.

Play in the division where you can learn the most by watching your card mates. That's a more valuable "prize" than a new disc.