• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Udisc vs DGR

mlstivender

I was out of town going to play disc golf in New Jersey! I got to the course and played through hole 6 at Field of Dreams disc golf course before being pulled aside telling me I can't play due to a tournament. Well of course had I known an active tournament was going on I would have avoided the course altogether but there was no signage. The director said he ran out of ink. Oh well..I mentioned DGR and he looked at me with a blank stare like he never heard of it. He only knew of Udisc which I'm not really a fan of but if that's the new way to go then I will adjust. I was baffled by his response of never hearing about DGR. Is Udisc the best thing now to use or document courses? Just looking for opinions or thoughts while providing a background to my situation I was faced with yesterday.

UDisc is primarily a phone app, so you can see how it would dominate. I use both. UDisc has pretty much zero gatekeeping. DGCR makes their attempt at keeping reviews to certain standards. For me, many of the reviews have obviously padded word counts with repetition of the same phrases over and over. I don't find the reviews on either particularly interesting.

It kind of depends. In Michigan, the best site for validating leagues and tournaments is Disc Golf Scene. https://www.discgolfscene.com/courses It is used EXTENSIVELY around here. It is still a pretty solid source of this info in most places, given this is what many tournaments use for registration. Leagues may be a different story around the country. The events tab on UDisc is a very solid source of information on leagues and tournaments in an area now, as well. It is my practice, even when setting up a casual round with buddies on the weekend, to do a quick check of DGS to see if tournament play will be an issue. Many leagues and clubs use facebook to communicate with their members.

Udisc event management is terrible. I tried setting my league up in it last year, and it was too basic and unwieldy to use. It wouldn't surprise me if people didn't put their tournaments in it.

The thing that's always bugged me, is how many holes have no pics on ANY of them.

Udisc event management is terrible. I tried setting my league up in it last year, and it was too basic and unwieldy to use. It wouldn't surprise me if people didn't put their tournaments in it.

The thing that's always bugged me, is how many holes have no pics on ANY of them.

COMPLETELY agree. Building a league was a nightmare. Building any site to be that unfriendly to the user, is asinine.

I was out of town going to play disc golf in New Jersey! I got to the course and played through hole 6 at Field of Dreams disc golf course before being pulled aside telling me I can't play due to a tournament. Well of course had I known an active tournament was going on I would have avoided the course altogether but there was no signage. The director said he ran out of ink. Oh well..I mentioned DGR and he looked at me with a blank stare like he never heard of it. He only knew of Udisc which I'm not really a fan of but if that's the new way to go then I will adjust. I was baffled by his response of never hearing about DGR. Is Udisc the best thing now to use or document courses? Just looking for opinions or thoughts while providing a background to my situation I was faced with yesterday.

I'm guessing that the TD is a covid discer with less than three years playing time. Many of these new golfers are clueless about a lot of things we veterans take for granted, like DGS for tournaments, leagues, scheduled work days etc. Udisc is getting better at advertising events, but it still sends you to DGS to register so I think this guy was pulling your leg. Until you can register on Udisc, it's just a scoring app with some info on events.

Welcome! Being that this is DGCR, you will undoubtedly get biased responses. :D

In general, I second what ru4por said. I use DGCR the most, but UDisc and DGScene are both also useful resources.

UDisc = best for:
- Seeing what courses exist (it has the largest user base by far plus no real standards or quality control, so the result is the largest directory of disc golf places).
- Knowing what the course conditions are likely to be before visiting a course (again, due to it having the largest user base).
- Getting a map of the course via the layout section. Many new courses do not have maps or navigational signage available on site, because they assume that people will be using UDisc. I think it's common to encounter newer/local players or course staff who only know of UDisc, as you did.

DGCR = best for:
- Getting quality information about courses. On UDisc, you'll rarely find a course rated below about 3.5 out of 5, and rarely find a review that is more than a couple of sentences long. Here, you can expect ratings that use the entire 0-5 scale plus lengthy, in-depth reviews backing those ratings up that often go into detail about the hole design, course infrastructure, etc.
- Planning a trip. Because the reviews and ratings are higher quality, the result is that it is a lot easier to determine which courses are the best in the area. You can also read a few reviews here and actually know what to expect from an area's courses ahead of time. Is the course a hilly workout, or an easy walk in the park that you could bring a non-DGer to? Is the cell service spotty? Good DGCR reviews often cover that sort of detailed information.

DGScene = best for:
- Getting tournament and league schedules. I now check UDisc for this as well, but like ru4por said at least around here in Michigan DGScene is still the most reliable place to see if there is going to be a league or tournament conflicting with the day/time that I want to visit a course.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
PDGA.com for all sanctioned events is pretty handy.

Still goes to DGS for registration though.

Most everything eventwise is in Facebook if you can find it.

I just hit my 4 year mark playing disc golf, so I'm newer to the sport but started prior to covid. I had never heard to this site (DGCR) till earlier this year. I was shown and explained U-Disc by friendly players at the local course within the first week of learning to play. I use U-Disc for scoring casual rounds, to see current course conditions (smart layouts use GPS to located current basket locations if in alternate pin placements which is helpful), and for directions occassionally. The reviews are trash, the course ratings are trash, and they usually don't have pictures. That's pretty much all I use it for. Discgolfscene for tournament registration. Each one is useful in it's own way, but this site is much more indepth as far as honest course reviews, player interactions, form help, etc. U-Disc management seems to be very minimal and slow to make helpful corrections when needed.

It kind of depends. In Michigan, the best site for validating leagues and tournaments is Disc Golf Scene.

Being a Michigandererererer, I find this true as well.

DGCR is kind of the old folks home for much more in depth reviews and insight but the kids just don't use it anymore. UDisc is all about finding courses and keeping score. The reviews on Udisc are god awful, to say the least. A recent Udisc review I remember from a local 4 star course simply said "wet" and gave it a .5 rating.

PDGA.com for all sanctioned events is pretty handy.

Still goes to DGS for registration though.

Most everything eventwise is in Facebook if you can find it.

The PDGA's Tournament Manager is really helpful for TDs. Scorekeeping, finances, payouts are all taken care of for you. Yes, the PDGA is tied in with DiscGolfScene for player registration. In my opinion DGS is the standard for tournament registration in the US.

My only "beef" is the $50 fee the PDGA gets for all C tier tournaments and the $10 extra cost that players must pay if they are not PDGA members.

DGR (Discgolfreview) has been dead for maybe a decade now. Not too surprising he wasn't familiar.

UDisc is great for real time information such as current layout, conditions, and events. However, it's course ratings are not good at all. UDisc just ran an update that allows for more nuanced reviews, I'm waiting to see how well it goes because right now the rankings and reviews there are worse than useless. The new system allows people to "like" reviews which is pushes to the top and also shows you how many courses a reviewer has played. I'm hoping UDisc weighs experienced reviewers higher in its overall score. For example, today I played a course that was rated 4.6 on UDisc and 1.89 on DGCR, but because it's a new course the locals were excited about it and all rated it 4.5 or 5 on UDisc.

TDs are failing if they DON'T list their events on UDisc. Too many players use it to plan a round with friends.
Our club(DisCap) uses it along with DGS(registration) and social media advertising on FB/Discord. Game day signage is a MUST if you have a full course and want to ensure that casuals don't slip into the mix. Every course is different as far as physical accessibility so nothing is 100%. And some chuckers simply will not listen even if there's an alternate course 15 minutes away. :\

No fewer than 5 local leagues use UDisc with consistently positive feedback from players.

I've been a TD since 2009 and BY FAR, the biggest gamechanger for me has been the invent and advancement of digital scoring. GONE ARE THE DAYS of spending ALL OF LUNCHBREAK checking paper cards, running down players with issues, etc etc etc.

UDisc started the revolution. The PDGA app changed TD life.