• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

UltiWorld: About those disc golf Meccas...

I agree with most people that the state line isn't that useful. Helps narrow down the areas but Texas is a lot bigger then most of those states. Would be interesting to see total tournaments/leagues/clubs/pdga members per state

An interesting look although not a perfect way of determining a mecca....but still cool to see.

I'm curious how NY would fair if you were to axe the NYC area as that is greatly distorting our population #s and I can't imagine it is adding a proportionate amount of courses/events/players.

This question was actually answered in the comments. Take a look. I am curious about how Illinois would look without Chicago. The numbers should be fairly simple to figure.

Like discussions on this site and elsewhere, the article brushes right past what they mean by "Mecca".

What it seems to measure, as much as anything, is disc golf saturation, by state. (With a little bias against the low-PDGA regions).

My mecca is wherever I'm playing.

However to be objective about it I guess I agree that a circle that encompasses all courses that you could reasonably drive to should be loosely defined as one "region" with courses constituting different degrees "mecca"-ness.

44 Listed* Courses within 30 miles of my office. About 5 more unlisted. I can't complain. The consistent quality is not that of the Charlotte/Augusta or DFW areas, but there are about 6 courses that I'd stand against 99% of the courses in the US and that's still pretty damn good. :D Call it what you want, I don't see any hajj happening, but it's certainly a nice area to stop if you're passing through on a trip. I'm happy.

I've been able to make several disc golf related trips:

Kansas City
Cincinnati
Mobile
Charlotte
Augusta
Atlanta

Got to play a few courses in So. Cal and I live in STL which isn't chopped liver.

Charlotte was my favorite.

44 Listed* Courses within 30 miles of my office. About 5 more unlisted. I can't complain. The consistent quality is not that of the Charlotte/Augusta or DFW areas, but there are about 6 courses that I'd stand against 99% of the courses in the US and that's still pretty damn good. :D Call it what you want, I don't see any hajj happening, but it's certainly a nice area to stop if you're passing through on a trip. I'm happy.

If you have only played 48 courses how can you compare anything to 99% of something else? ... and 47 of your played courses are in Michigan. Ive played 42 states and over 250 courses. I find that most highly regarded courses (by their locals) I that play throughout the country fail to meet expectations.

Last edited:
If you have only played 48 courses how can you compare anything to 99% of something else?

Oh man... I haven't updated that in a loooooong time. I completely forgot that was a thing. lol.

Yes, you are correct, I have not played every course in the US. So, I (like any other white knight here) cannot accurately give that comparison. Thank you for clarification.

Oh man... I haven't updated that in a loooooong time. I completely forgot that was a thing. lol.

Yes, you are correct, I have not played every course in the US. So, I (like any other white knight here) cannot accurately give that comparison. Thank you for clarification.

Well we have a few course commonalities, you have shore acre park as a top 5 golf course in Michigan. It was a fun course, but if that course is a top 5 in a state berometer, we can knock any part of Michigan (state or region) out of the Mecca talk all together. And you are right even though you were sarcastic...I havent played enough in each area, just like most people, to accurately discuss/evaluate the virtues of each of the top Mecca Candidates.

Sorry, 1978. Rereading that, it came off WAY more snarky than it sounded in my head. Nothing but love for DG brethren.

No worries. These discussions fascinate me, its much like discussions on any other subject, really. very strong opinions but usually no meat to back them up. Ultimately IMO 4 decent (design, safety, amenities) courses inside of 20 minutes and maybe 4 safe beginner courses inside that circle is all you need to be for a mini mecca. 8 +4 is even better because you can host world championships. If you can create that and help maintain that in your area the sport will grow.

Because if a Muslim travels to Saudi Arabia in general it doesn't count as the Hajj. Mecca is a city, a specific place, not a region.

Then the test is what city do disc golfer's travel to to play, or maybe even what course do most disc golfers fee that then should play at least once in their life time. In any event, if we are being specific to the Hajj, the answer could never be simply the city that has the most or best courses in close proximity, right?

Then the test is what city do disc golfer's travel to to play, or maybe even what course do most disc golfers fee that then should play at least once in their life time. In any event, if we are being specific to the Hajj, the answer could never be simply the city that has the most or best courses in close proximity, right?

Obviously that is the answer. I am confused how you could be confused. :confused:

And no Mecca cannot be a single course, it is a city. The course of desire would be Kaaba, situated within the city of Mecca.

Kind of the thing is the overwhelming majority of us have little experience playing outside whatever areas or cities we've lived in or traveled. Are any of us really qualified to compare places we've been to against places we haven't?

Kind of the thing is the overwhelming majority of us have little experience playing outside whatever areas or cities we've lived in or traveled. Are any of us really qualified to compare places we've been to against places we haven't?

Certainly not as well as if we'd traveled there.

What do I know of Michigan, Minnesota, or Wisconsin disc golf? I've played in 24 states but, sadly, none of those. I know raw data---such as in the Ultiworld article, and other places---that there are lots of courses. And I have a pretty good idea of the climate.

I haven't played the top courses, but I can get something of an idea from photos. Not nearly as good as playing, of course, but something.

I've read reviews, and posts, and talked to people, who have played there and many other regions---including places I'm familiar with, which helps. And though many of the ratings are from people confined to a region, enough are done by better-traveled people that they average out fairly well---I have fairly good confidence that top-rated courses are good, wherever they are.

All of which comes far short my actually knowing how those places compare to places I've played. So I guess I'd say I feel I can make a comparison---but it's certainly not as valid as someone who has thoroughly played multiple regions.

I played a few courses and a few different areas of the country. My overall impression is that course quality isn't the only important metric to consider.

I've had fantastic experiences in some areas and horrible ones in other areas that could typically be considered meccas. This is typically due to locals and the way they treat people new to the area. I love playing in leagues as I travel and those leagues speak volumes about the local area. No matter how good the courses are if they aren't kept up or if the locals consider new people outsiders and not worthy then you have issues. If they are overcrowded and the local government isn't responsive to an active organization then there are issues. If they are underused and always in jeopardy of being yanked then there are issues.

To me a mecca would have a bunch of great courses of all skill levels with a few different leagues that were aimed towards everything from cheap and fun to more serious. The local government should be in contact with local disc golf organizations to see that any issues are being addressed (garbage, trimming etc). The tournament scene should exist.

If I could travel to an area and easily find what leagues were being run on what days so I could both either participate or avoid, the courses were well kept up with good signage and when I got there I wasn't in a line 10 deep I'd consider that a mecca. I'm not sure I've found it yet. Personally I think the Twin Cities is weak in the organization thing. Yes, I'm not active that way so I'm at much at fault as anyone.

I played a few courses and a few different areas of the country. My overall impression is that course quality isn't the only important metric to consider.

I've had fantastic experiences in some areas and horrible ones in other areas that could typically be considered meccas. This is typically due to locals and the way they treat people new to the area. I love playing in leagues as I travel and those leagues speak volumes about the local area. No matter how good the courses are if they aren't kept up or if the locals consider new people outsiders and not worthy then you have issues. If they are overcrowded and the local government isn't responsive to an active organization then there are issues. If they are underused and always in jeopardy of being yanked then there are issues.

To me a mecca would have a bunch of great courses of all skill levels with a few different leagues that were aimed towards everything from cheap and fun to more serious. The local government should be in contact with local disc golf organizations to see that any issues are being addressed (garbage, trimming etc). The tournament scene should exist.

If I could travel to an area and easily find what leagues were being run on what days so I could both either participate or avoid, the courses were well kept up with good signage and when I got there I wasn't in a line 10 deep I'd consider that a mecca. I'm not sure I've found it yet. Personally I think the Twin Cities is weak in the organization thing. Yes, I'm not active that way so I'm at much at fault as anyone.

Your mecca would be Des Moines.

or Charlotte.

Leagues pretty much any day of the week, tournaments ranging from USDGC and Worlds to lower tier events, courses ranging from monsters like Renny Gold and Nevin to utter pitch n putts like Pinewood Elementary, plus plenty in between.