• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Uncertain future for Terrace Creek (WA)

Sorry I didn't have time to update the thread yesterday guys. What DGTourist posted sums the meeting up better than I could have.

I played a round after work last night to celebrate :)

Socre one for reason. The Idea that a DOG PARK would be remotely better for the environment than a DG course is simple preposterous. The claims being made against the course struck me as pure sour grapes, so I'm glad that you were able to have a logical discussion. Way to keep it real in Washington State B-) !!

Hehe, wow, I missed this thread completely before, guess I need to be more active on this forum! Thanks to everyone who showed their support for the course, things, by and large, are looking good for us. Due to the overwhelming support shown at that one meeting, the RPAC committee has all but dismissed Robin (the main voice against us). The crappy thing is that we're still mired in the small town bureaucracy and at the most recent meeting, the committee voted to move this project to the "next level." Thing is, they didn't really elaborate on what this "next level" will entail, other than looking at our course proposals--the same ones we submitted back at the beginning of the year. So, there might not be as much progress as I'd like, but at least we're not fighting for survival right now. Oh yeah--quite likely, we're gonna be looking at an even bigger, seemingly nonsensical walk on the back 9 if we're to comply with all the environmental regulations discussed before.

I thought about sending this to that editor...what do you guys think?

Letter to the tree huggers, that seem to think they are bigger tree huggers than the disc golfers playing there.

Well, if we are going to protect the park, you will have to ban smoking and eating in the park, becasue that can't be good for the natural surroundings and the littering that goes along with it. Plus, I guess you better ban picinics, because that spilled food is bad for the animals and instects. Oh, and you are crushing live grass with that picnic blanket. OMG, I thinking way to short sighted! That is right, you have to ban all walking on the grass for that matter. AND who the hell killed all that vegitation by putting in those annoying sidewalks. We gotta save the park! No one is allowed in the park at all, because you are damaging nature with everything you do there. Close the park to all humans and you should get your nature back...well what is left of it anyway.

PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF MANKIND! Wake up and get a clue. Am I being sarcastic? Yes, of course I am. You should take all that stuff I just wrote and give it the same attention as the ones I wrote it for. NONE!

By the way, have a great day!

They published this! http://www.enterprisenewspapers.com/article/20080627/ETP21/277097232

:eek: Well, when they called me, I told them I was a real person and they were more than welcome to publishe it. Who said getting involved will get you no where? ;) I was actually a little bit harsh, but oh well, the damage is done. :p

I admire your enthusiasm for supporting the course, Donovan, but I don't know how much that letter will cast disc golfers in a positive light.

I admire your enthusiasm for supporting the course, Donovan, but I don't know how much that letter will cast disc golfers in a positive light.

Well, sarcasm is my humor of choice. Plus, I really didn't think they would use it. However, it does point out how people can go too far sometimes and that was the real point there. It did sound a bit angry for a guy saying how nice disc golfers are, but hopefully people just get a chuckle out of it, as that was it's intention.

At the most recent meeting, the almost getting hit letter was brought up. The committee member reading it actually cast it in a positive light, stating that the "watch out for walkers, dumbass!" comment indicated that we disc golfers are actually self policing. And as it stands, the hole in question that I assume the walker was referring to, is one of the ones that is going to be taken out, mostly because of safety concerns.

What you wrote about in your letter, actually, that's pretty much what the environmentalist lady wants. She hasn't put it into such terms, but the gist of her argument is that she'd like to see all human activity gone from the park (with the exception of her and maybe a couple birdwatchers, of course).

What you wrote about in your letter, actually, that's pretty much what the environmentalist lady wants. She hasn't put it into such terms, but the gist of her argument is that she'd like to see all human activity gone from the park (with the exception of her and maybe a couple birdwatchers, of course).

I might have run into this lady before, now that I think of it. A few weeks back my girlfriend and I were putting on #7 at the same time some guys were teeing off on #8. My putt hit the basket and rolled all the way down the hill to the #9 tee (don't you hate that?). Well a couple seconds later a drive from #8 lands on the path a few feet away from this lady as I was walking down and she just absolutely went nuclear...on me.

"Don't you know OTHER PEOPLE USE THIS PARK?!?!"
"How about I throw this at you and see how you like it?"
Etc.

I had to cut her off just to explain I wasn't in the group that threw it. I'm standing there pointing up the hill to my girlfriend and the basket, asking her how she could possibly think I arrived at my disc one second after it landed. Well in what I can only describe as a twilight zone moment she she either didn't believe me or didn't care, and kept barking at me about how disc golf is ruining the park, etc.

After almost a minute of listening to her I see several of the guys from #8 walking up to their drives, where they had to wait since I was standing in their fairway trying to putt and listen to this lady at the same time. So I cut her off again and point to the guys, tell her to go talk to them about it. She said "I'm not wasting any more of my time with you people" and walked off...

I was speechless.

Ugh, don't you just love irrational people? Chances are, that wasn't Robin (environmental lady). Robin claims to come out to the park on a daily basis, but nobody has ever seen her out there. And as much of an antagonist as she is, I will at least give her credit for being smart--I think she would have been able to put 2 + 2 together and figure out what was going on. Sounds like that could be one of Robin's friends though. I wasn't able to attend the big meeting where 60 people showed up, but apparently one of the anti-disc golf people was a lady who was so irate, people pretty much dismissed her as being off her rocker.

In any case, that lady that almost got hit, well, she sounds...interesting. I will say though, that that IS a dangerous hole, a blind shot over a walking path where lots of pedestrians are completely oblivious to what disc golf is. That's a hole that's slated for change in the grand scheme of things.

I love that letter donovan! pretty funny stuff. "Oh, and you are crushing live grass with that picnic blanket." good stuff.

Bump!
This park is still in trouble. Now its the dog-walkers specifically around the dogpark by hole 13/14. I played a round there yesterday and there was some drama, which eventually ended in the cops getting called. Lowell told me he's getting alot of grief from the Parks Department, and the local residents are pissed because people keep throwing their discs over the fence, not to mention the trash and hoodlum kids that tear down all the signs. The dog park is open now so if anyone accidentaly throws over the fence go through the gate, please don't jump it. I think that's what caused all the drama. Unfortunately, it only takes one drunk DG'er mouthing off to cause irreversible damage. :(
I've been teeing off for 14 around the corner of the dog park to avoid them alltogether. If I hear any more news from Lowell I'll post up.

It is a shame to see a course such as this falling apart. It has played such a large part in the state series for all these years and now not only can it not be a stop in the series, but may not even have a chance to be a course. Have people discussed a whole new layout? I know it is a lot of work but is there a way to add some more holes towards 16 behind the dog park or up the hill where the old 11 and 12 used to be? What about 12 holes with alternate tee pads or a 9 hole with duel tee pads? I know that would suck but it would be better then losing it all together. Just make each hole longer with perhaps a par 4 here and there? Thanks for keeping us informed Sidewindin'.

Latest posts