• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Understable fairway suggestions?

friysch

Good morning,

To frame this question, Here is the relevant info. I throw max weight. For me star wraiths go 420 ish and bosses/destroyers 30-50 feet farther.

I have thrown the TL, leopard, L3, in champ and star. I am trying an icon patriot that flies stable/doesn't turn.

I am looking for a fairway driver that has a slow turn that will flip flat and even flip past flat and anny for awhile. Not interested in it fading back at any point.

I had one old TL beat in perfectly a long time ago but lost it and have never found anything remotely comparable.

Criteria are that it must be speed 8 or slower and the slower the turn the better. But it needs to actually flip up from a significant hyzer at 300-350 range power.

I'm done trying to buy a disc claiming to be that and have it be junk.

Any help?
Matt

Latitude 64 River. Gold Line is outstanding premium plastic that will season in to a point then hold that for a long time. The River will season in to the hyzer-flip machine you want. If I ever lose mine, I'm probably going to cry.

Also, you might try a Discmania FD. Mine is in C-Line, but you might want the S-Line for a bit faster seasoning in. I find my FD to have a little bit of drift (i.e. turn), and it gets very good distance.

I'm intrigued by the river. I'll try and check on out.

I forgot that in my quest I have also tried an s line fd and the prodigy f7. I have a west side seer I'm messing around with but it is too touchy I think to become confident in it.

Matt

How about an XS?

River was also a good suggestion, but at your power level it might be a little more flippy than you're looking for.

An Icon Patriot isn't supposed to do what you're asking for. All the Icons I've thrown have flown like TL's, very straight. Pinnacles are generally less stable in my experience, a lighter Pinnacle might get you there.

I am disappointed yet again with innova "understable" fairways. The prerelease L3 I tried was a great hyzer flip disc to 350 with little effort. The stock L3 I bought has zero turn and a decent amount of fade.

My search for a hyzer flip fairway driver continues. Love the speed of the tl and l3, but the ones I've bought just do not turn.

Matt

MVP relay is a leopard you wont be mad at and a river that isnt a touchy SOB.

Speed 6 slightly US available in neutron plastic (very tough star like material)

As a long time River thrower, I have been impressed with MVP's understable lineup. Haven't thrown the Relay yet, but the others I've thrown all have the slow turn and are just a little less finicky than discs like the River. River probably has more distance potential, but the extra D isn't always worth the chance of it turning and burning, or fading out too soon.

I posted this in the L-3 thread as an answer to your question there and will drop it in here too :D.

The GL River will be more stable than the S-Line FD from the get go. The River will season into a great gliding flyer over time, especially in the lighter 160 range. The River is a far better disc IMO, it can be a little nose angle sensitive at first though. I have several Rivers from 161 to 170, the only one in my bag is my oldest blue 161.

The S-Line FD is a flippy beast right out of the box when thrown flat at full power but, it does fly really nice lines when powered down to 70%. I have hit one of my longest throw on the course hyzer flipping my S-FD. I think it is a 167 weight.

The C-Line FD will be way more stable, mine is long and straight with decent fade when thrown hard ( for my noodle arm ) at my 300' feet of power . Weight on it is 170.

I would say a polaris LS is the millennium standard plastic. A worn PLS fit this slot for me and we are comprable in power, you may have a bit more of an arm even. If so a fresher PLS will work well. It glides nicely it has the 1.6mm rim of Innova's leopard, gazelle, cheetah lineup (actually has a whippet wing with a gazelle top).

I would also give a look at the Ptero. For my arm it is pretty straight with a bit of bite at the end, but I know many people who equate it to a worn TL.

Some good suggestions here! Like you said, a disc that's pretty neutral to start with is great for slow turnovers when beat in but it takes quite a bit of work. You could also find yourself one that's already beat up for you.

Pro Leopards are great as well. For me (same distance as you) they have started out just really straight but start developing turn pretty quickly but remain easy to control.

I have a beat in GL River, and I think that it's exactly what you're looking for. As long as you don't over power it too much it will be a great disc. Definitely recommend it for you.

250th post!!!

If you have 450' power with Destroyers I'm shocked you find an S-FD too stable. I would have thought C-FD for your power, although I haven't thrown one. I would recommend trying an S-FD maybe after some tree hits or making sure there isn't any flashing on the bottom.

I don't like the River as much, I find it very touchy to anything that is incorrect in my form. If I throw it perfectly cleanly it has a very long flight...but it is an S flight that doesn't turnover the whole way even. But if I screw up it definitely turns over the whole way. Too touchy to me. I typically throw it in the 330-350' range on the course, but have thrown it 375+ for reference. It's one of those discs that when you throw it right you wonder why you throw anything else, but it's too often it doesn't do that for me.

I know you said slower is better, but I actually love the flight path of a star Sidewinder for this. Keep in mind its rim width is 1.8cm so that's the same as a River/FD even though it is called a 9 and the others are called 7.

An S-line FD should be spot on as many have said. But I have to recommend a P-line FD. They are amazing fairways. So maybe check one out if you haven't considered it.

Seems like the answer, for something out of the box is: nothing. I've been trying to fill this slot for awhile, too, ever since I lost my very seasoned TL last year. My distance is a little less than yours -- 390-400 with Wraiths/Destroyers. It will probably be years before my other pretty-seasoned TL is like the other one was (and this one I'm throwing is a few years old).

Tried the Underworld -- while cool, probably a bit too flippy.

This is one of the several reasons I've tried to develop my forehand game more.

Latest posts