• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Unique goals/challenges for a hole. (Course Design)

puaahunter

Bronze level trusted reviewer
I've been tasked to create a "family-friendly" 9-hole disc golf course for a local school. Their grounds has a lot of potential for a good mix of holes: long, short, hyzer, anhyzer, straight, etc.

However, I was considering having 2 holes of the 9 be a "unique disc challenge" type of a situation instead of having yet another drive, layup, putt type hole.

Let me share some examples of what I may be thinking:

Throw your disc THROUGH the 2ft diameter ring that's 75ft away, suspended between two large trees. PAR 2

Shoot your disc like a basketball free throw through the basketball hoop mounted to the tree. PAR1

Shoot your disc through a "Y" in the trees, like a field goal in football.

Hit "the hanging bell" as a target. (basically a unique tone pole option)​

Keep in mind, this is a student/family-friendly course, so it won't be a huge draw for all the local disc golf "professionals". They have 2 excellent courses nearby to challenge their arm at.

I'm curious if you've seen any courses with this type of a hole integrated. If so, where? what was your experience? pictures? links?

Any other ideas for creative type target options?

Put a hole across a skeet shooting range.

What would par be on that?:gross:

I like the unique tone pole, ring, and field goal "Y" ideas. I've never seen anything along these lines installed on a course before.

Maybe shy away from the basketball idea? You don't want kids getting frustrated and saying, "aw, screw this, let's go play REAL basketball!":\

I like the idea of unique holes/targets. I've played a neighborhood course that used a gong as a target. You def knew when you nailed it. I have a smallish 9 hole course (private) on my property. Just to cure the normal DG tee to basket par 3, I set up a hole with a hula hoop suspended between two trees. The hole was an easy double mando, but if you passed through the hoop, you got to take a stroke off! The hoop was about 50' from the tee. I had another hole we called the bermuda triangle where the baskets was set between 3 pine trees about 5' apart each. We recently changed the hole up by suspending the basket about 10' off the ground! Plenty of fun stuff to do. I've had some "serious" golfers at my home course and they think the little challenges are stupid...they are all welcome to not return. I'm in it for the fun. This spring I'll be digging a hole in the ground and dropping a basket below grade! Talk about a challenge!

The basketball hoop is tough...tried it, got frustrated, abandoned the idea.

Last edited:
From a shot selection standpoint, go crazy. But if you install any equipment, make sure it is safe for the kids to climb on, fall off of, run into at full speed, or whatever.

Are you familiar with the terms "choke opening" and "pinch point"? Can you recite the definition?

A certified playground equipment safety inspector can help you with that.

Or, stick with using whatever is already there.

The purests won't like it, but "mini golf" (clown's mouth and all) has weened many a good ball golfer! As long as everyone knows the intent of the course, I think doing some "different stuff" is good.

Karl

I'm curious if you've seen any courses with this type of a hole integrated. If so, where? what was your experience? pictures? links?

Any other ideas for creative type target options?[/QUOTE]

prospect park disc golf course in brooklyn, new york is an object course where trees, pipes, and light posts are target so maybe you could use that with your course

At one of my home courses in Mendocino, Ca there is a mando of going between the uprights on the football field. Big hyzer and if you miss it can take its toll coming back. Seen many 5's and 6's during our weeklies. But everyone... Almost everyone loves the challenge.

Tom Pierce Park in Grants Pass OR has a funky novelty hole like you speak of. You have to shoot a mando through a hole in the wall of what seems to be the reminince of an old damn/mill thingy? not sure how to attach the link, but check it out. I know it's reviewed on this site.

Latest posts