• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC News Release

Chuck Kennedy said:
Every day, in fact somewhere in the world, at this minute, there's a foot fault happening and most are never called. Whoa, there goes another one...
NO

is it a big problem at the USDGC? is there arguments and controversy every year?

Apparently it must be, especially if they've used the disputed 'flight line of play' option there.

As several people have indicated in this thread, this "problem" seems to be mostly imagined, or at the very least, it's being blown out of proportion. When I hear bitching about foot faults it's always in relation to falling putts, legitimate stances in the schule, prematurely raising one's foot off the ground when stretching out, etc., never from a run up in a fairway.

To me it seems like the stand and deliver rule is a very narrow sighted way to deal with this problem. I understand that a foot fault could give someone a advantage in only that they could play a line that the may not necessarily play otherwise. It seems like they could come up with a less restrictive rule rather than a more restrictive rule to deal with this issue. Tightening down is not always the best route to go. Just to put one idea out there, why not have the mini be the center of and have the foot landing area have to be in say a 12 inch circle from the disc. So that there was a much larger acceptable non foot fault area. Like others have said, if you are 300+ feet from the basket, a foot or two difference does not make that much difference.

Hmmmm… attempting to remedy the problem of lax enforcement of a particular rule by inserting yet another rule that players will be instantly prejudiced against enforcing due to their ridicule & hatred of it. Sound reasoning, PDGA.

veganray said:
Hmmmm… attempting to remedy the problem of lax enforcement of a particular rule by inserting yet another rule that players will be instantly prejudiced against enforcing due to their ridicule & hatred of it. Sound reasoning, PDGA.

Sounds to me like they're taking lessons from the government.

So far, no solution has been better than the "No Follow Thru" (NFT) option (actual proposal versus pure S&D) to resolve this fairway foot fault problem. Is it any easier to call a foot fault when the stance zone is a 12 inch circle you have to watch a player hit? BTW, that's about what it was originally. Steady Ed wanted you to place your foot somewhere upon release touching the area covered by the Frisbee you had just picked up which was closer to 12 inch diameter than current discs.

Fundamentally, it's whether we can find a way to write a rule so players can follow it and the group can observe whether it was followed. NFT comes close but has obvious drawbacks, not from a rules or playability standpoint, but from what players have been comfortable with.

The whole issue of TV is kind-of cart before the horse IMO. The PGA has officials observing the players on their tour. If disc golf ever got big enough for TV with TV money payouts, there is no way IMO that those events would be self-officiated like the current events. You would end up paying a gaggle of officials to spend four days calling foot faults and stance violations whether you have S & D or not.

Working Stiff said:
The whole issue of TV is kind-of cart before the horse IMO. The PGA has officials observing the players on their tour. If disc golf ever got big enough for TV with TV money payouts, there is no way IMO that those events would be self-officiated like the current events. You would end up paying a gaggle of officials to spend four days calling foot faults and stance violations whether you have S & D or not.

That is what I was thinking too. If it gets that big ever.

Chuck Kennedy said:
Every day, in fact somewhere in the world, at this minute, there's a chuck kennedy post being scoffed at and most are usually giggled at also. Whoa, there goes another one...

hehe

NoLifeLeft said:
I'm hearing it as a spill over from ball golf rules. Basically, disc golf run-up = ball golf tee. Here...

You can use a (run-up/tee) only on your first drive from the tee box. If on subsequent shots if you can not get good distance without a (run-up/tee), you are not a well-rounded player and fail.

In ball golf, the tee sets you up for a stronger max d shot. Ball golfers have to practice also making long shots with out this assistance for shots further up the fairway.

Sounds like a connection they are trying to make to me. Just my $.02, ain't saying I agree or disagree.

A run up would better be equated to a full swing in ball golf.

A 'stand and deliver' shot in a fairway would be like limiting the backswing to just below your hip in ball golf, which would just be silly. No reason ever to not allow a full swing if the player wants to use it.

Tighten up the calls on foot faults in the big events - a trickle down effect will occur. Place judges with each group. Or, maybe, loosen the 'foot fault zone' a little and allow for players to make real golf shots in fairways of super long holes.

After all, you don't see the NFL telling its players that they have to throw the ball out of an under center 2 wide receiver formation...allowing innovation is the only way to make the game - and its players - better, not stifling their shot making ability by making them stand still.

Could the rule be modified so that it allows a run up as long as the body comes to a stop behind the mini. I will be honest my knowledge of the rules is limited. I always played the fairway runup shot so that my body stayed behind the mini mainly becouse I thought you had to.

Just got off the phone with Harold. No plans for NTF at USDGC. Hasn't even been discussed as a possibility ever being considered so it was just a rumor.

some call me...tim? said:
Chuck Kennedy said:
Just got off the phone with Harold. No plans for NTF at USDGC. Hasn't even been discussed as a possibility ever being considered so it was just a rumor.

Unbunching my panties....

<------------Unbunching as well :lol:

some call me...tim? said:
Chuck Kennedy said:

Unbunching my panties....

Mine were on their way to being a banana hammock really quick like. easing up now.