• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vacation in the Outer Banks

thrillcaptain1

Bogey Member
I'm escaping lovely Ohio, and going to go get sunburned somewhere else for a week. What are some can't miss courses on the way? I"m going with my gf and her parent's so I can't spend the whole week on the course, unfortunately.

Can't speak too much on the subject as I live on the opposite side of the country, but I'm originally from back east. The Outer Banks are a great place to visit, but as far as DG goes, you're pretty isolated. NC has a ton of great courses from what I hear, but getting to them from OBX probably would be a hassle. As far as courses to hit along the way, the one course I can recommend with enthusiasm is New Quarter Park in Williamsburg, VA. Not sure the exact route you'd take from Ohio, but the course isn't too far from Hwy. 64 (the main highway that goes to the southeastern part of the state). If that's anywhere close to your route, I HIGHLY recommend stopping by there.

I"ll definitely check it out... me and my GF are driving separate so it definitely shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Our route takes us through Charleston, WV, and also past Norfolk and Virginia Beach. Anything there to get excited about?

Outer banks is a great vacation spot and excellent for ball golf. However there really aren't any dg courses in the area and it can be a bitch to get off the island sometimes. The coolest thing about outer banks is the Brew Threw (A Drive through package store) you literally drive right into the beer cooler and the dude throws what you want right in the trunk for you. Freekin great. It's really nice this time of year as well. Where are you staying?

I think there's a course in VA Beach, but I don't think it's too remarkable. There's a pretty nice course in Newport News--relatively easy but really nicely set up. But that's pretty close to New Quarter Park, so if you're going to be stopping in that area might as well do NQP (Newport News could be a good warm up/cool down course though).

And yeah, Brew Thru is sweet...definitely a signature of the OBX experience, right along with Wings (all the cheap touristy beach stuff you could imagine) and Kitty Hawk Kites (I don't know if I've ever been in another kite shop, but this one's definitely the coolest). Another cool thing about the area is just the laid back beach-bum atmosphere--you can walk through the grocery store barefoot and nobody even notices. It's also the only place I've ever seen "alcoholic spring water" (no joke). :lol:

If you have four wheel drive it's great as well. Every year about 10 of us rent a house way out in the dunes and go surfing and four wheelin' all week. There are actually wild horses that just hang out in the dunes...pretty cool.

It sounds like my GF's 16 year old tee-totalling sister is going to have fun with us... We're staying at the Golden Strand on Kill Devil Hills.

So jealous of the 4 wheel drive. I am NOT looking forward to keeping my 6'3" 240 lb. @$$ in a Cavalier for 11 hrs each way, in June, with semi-functioning AC.

Thanks for the tips so far, and more are welcome. This will be my first DG experience out of Ohio, and I can't wait.

I am heading to Myrtle Beach, SC this summer for a week and plan to stop for a night of camping in VA Beach and plan to play here.....
http://pdga.com/course/courses_by_city.php?id=2271

That actually looks like a pretty sweet course, and it's the closest one to the Outer Banks, from what I can tell. Nice! Probably about an hour drive, but that's totally doable, especially on vacation time. :D

it does look like a sweet course!
hoping to camp for the night and play some rounds there and then head down to MB from there...

I'm going to be making this trip from Ohio soon, too. I'm assuming you went already, thrillcaptain - did you end up playing anywhere? I won't be stopping anywhere on the way because we'll have a couple of small children with us, but would like to get out and play one day. I saw the Munden Point course listed in the PDGA directory, too, and it does look like the only course that's even remotely close to Outer Banks. Has anyone played that? It looks to be at least an hour drive and wanted to make sure it was worth it. Thanks!

Eric, definately check out New Quarter park in Williamsburg on your way down. It's a great course, just bring bug spray.

I saw the Munden Point course listed in the PDGA directory, too, and it does look like the only course that's even remotely close to Outer Banks. Has anyone played that? It looks to be at least an hour drive and wanted to make sure it was worth it. Thanks!

It's probably longer than 1 hr b/c it's on remote country back roads. If you go, make sure you have a very detailed map!! It's really tough to find the way.

I played Munden Point in April. You can read my review and course details at <http://groups.google.com/group/DG-Course-Reviews>. Look under the VA discussion thread. It's an average course. One hole is really cool.

+++++++
Here's the Munden Point info I have:

Munden Point
5458 ft.
DISCatcher baskets

Description: On N. Landing River. Tricky winds, good variety and challenge. #8 is signature hole - 630' onto open peninsula into river. Picnic facilities, rest rooms.

Directions: I-64 East; Indian River Road East (exit 286B), 4.6 miles to slight left on Elbow Road then back on Indian River for 5.7 miles. Right on W. Neck Rd. for 3 miles. Right on Princess Ann Rd. (VA 615) for 8.5 miles. Right on Munden Point Rd. for 0.8 miles. Right on Pefly for 0.1 miles. 1st tee far right middle.

Course Coordinates (Long/Lat): -76.0372,36.5842
Website: http://www.koehlerstudios.com/c/dgfc/mundenpoint/Munden%20Point%20course%20design3.pdf
[email protected]
Home: (757) 289-6006
Work: (757) 437-1185

++++++++
The closest to OBX is Elizabeth City IF the course is playable. You need to call them to find out. (Pls let me know if it's in play.) Here's the info:

Elizabeth City
Fun Junktion Park

Park Hours:
Memorial Day - Labor Day: Mon - Sun 10:00 am - 8:00 pm
Labor Day - Daylight Savings Time: 10:00 am - 7:00 pm
Winter Hours (Daylight Savings Time- Memorial Day) : 10:00 am - 5:00 pm

Directions:
In Pasquatank County
64 East. … 17 East past Hertford. Right on Simpson Ditch Rd. Right on Landfill Rd. to Fun Junktion.

Description: They have 18 baskets and 9 were installed, but the course has to be relocated and redesigned. Governmental red tape is slowing up the process. It may be installed in 2005, but the whole project is very uncertain. The original course was designed by Innova, but it is now unplayable.

Jeff Simpson, Parks Director
983 Simpson Ditch Road
PO Box 39
Elizabeth City, NC 27907-0039
Tel: 252-337-6600
Cell: 252-339-7933
Email: [email protected]

http://www.co.pasquotank.nc.us/departments/park/fun_junktion_educational_and_rec.htm
Elizabeth City Area Chamber of Commerce <[email protected]>, Tel: 252-335-4365, www.albemarleedc.com, www.elizabethcitymag.com

+++++++++
Beyond that your best bet is to drive back to New Bern and play Glenburnie.

Thanks for the great info. The New Quarter course sounds great, but I don't know that I'll be able to stop on the way. Hopefully, I'll get to play one of them.
Thanks!

We played a nice course just outside of TopSail beach, NC. Very nice course in a nice park. A couple long holes also (one over 1000 ft)

mcoppel said:
We played a nice course just outside of TopSail beach, NC. Very nice course in a nice park. A couple long holes also (one over 1000 ft)

Was the course at Castle Haynes park? I am heading down to Topsail soon and may give it a try.

It was this one in Jacksonville. Just north of topsail.

http://pdga.com/course/courses_by_city.php?id=617

It's been awhile since someone's posted on this but I'm heading down to the outer banks for a week and anything could've happen since 2007 with disc golf development. Anyone have any info on private or public parks near Nags Head?

thrillcaptain said:
I"ll definitely check it out... me and my GF are driving separate so it definitely shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Our route takes us through Charleston, WV, and also past Norfolk and Virginia Beach. Anything there to get excited about?

How I wish I can go to Virginia Beach.. I really hope.

Latest posts