• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Valk or Avenger SS??

Avenger SS is going to be slower and slightly more understable than the Valk. I used to throw Valks for distance love if you can get a good one they're so money, But I've gotten some really stable ones lately...I'd possibly try a Surge SS it flies like a faster Valk for me.

For me, the Valk is faster and more understable than the Avg SS. I have a 170 star Valk in good shape and a 170ish flx avenger SS and the SS is considerably more stable than the Valk.

I've thrown them both a TON and have found that the Avenger SS is better for low-line turnovers that won't turn and burn into the ground and Valks are better for the high turnover helix shots. That's just me though.

I'm going with the first response on this one. Valks are a little more stable. I have a flx avenger SS for turnovers and a star valk and a DX valk for distance drivers. The Valk comes back way more often than the SS.
I also have a Z avenger SS that is almost unusable flippy brand new.

What would everyone recommend who has tried them both?

No one has asked you any questions on how you throw to be able to give you any sort of decent answer. If you throw 300' flat with a teebird a valk will give you more distance and something that you can throw with a tailwind that wont bail out early. I use my ESP Avenger SS for backhand rollers and big over the top anhyzer shots but my son can use the same disc to go perfectly straight down the middle.

It all depends upon how you throw, what level you are currently at, and what you are looking to use it for.

I was about to get a new valk since my dx turns over way too much now that its beat but my friends buddy was throwing his so freaking straight I wanted to ask what others thought who have thrown them.
to slowroll- I Don't have a huge arm ( not yet;)) but have been getting my teebird right around 300 when I want to.

The Valk is a really great disc. When they are new the will go mostly straight with just a little movement. The more you use it, the more you will have to begin utilizing the hyzer flip to let it work up to flat, sail long and straight just like it did when it was new, then have the slight bail out at the end.

My ESP Avenger SS from day 1 has flown more like a Roadrunner. I carry 2 putters, 4 midranges, and 8 drivers total with a grand total of 9 molds in my bag. Of all my discs, my lone Avenger SS is the most understable disc I throw, with my Leopard being the second most. I will say this in defense of the SS... if you get into a tough spot where you can't reach back enough, or have wierd footing, or some sort of wierd stance... You can throw the SS without getting alot of snap on it, and it will hold whatever line you put it on. Good disc for getting out of trouble, when you can't get enough snap on your usual upshot disc.

The Valk is a really great disc. When they are new the will go mostly straight with just a little movement. The more you use it, the more you will have to begin utilizing the hyzer flip to let it work up to flat, sail long and straight just like it did when it was new, then have the slight bail out at the end.

My ESP Avenger SS from day 1 has flown more like a Roadrunner. I carry 2 putters, 4 midranges, and 8 drivers total with a grand total of 9 molds in my bag. Of all my discs, my lone Avenger SS is the most understable disc I throw, with my Leopard being the second most. I will say this in defense of the SS... if you get into a tough spot where you can't reach back enough, or have wierd footing, or some sort of wierd stance... You can throw the SS without getting alot of snap on it, and it will hold whatever line you put it on. Good disc for getting out of trouble, when you can't get enough snap on your usual upshot disc.

thanks for the reply. I may have to get both now :doh: . What weights would you recommend?

Last edited:
Anything in the 170's are fine. Some of the other more experienced posters on here have played around more with the different weights, but I'm fine not using max weight discs myself.

My bag looks like this:

Drivers
x ESP Avenger 172g - used
Straight as an arrow
x ESP Avenger 171g - new
(flies like a firebird at the moment)
x ESP Avenger SS 174g - used
Backhand Rollers, Huge Righthand Turns
x First Run Champion Boss 174g - used
Slight Tailwinds, Huge Anhyzer Flex drives over 400'
x ESP Surge 173g - worn
Hyzer Flip, Tailwind Driver
x ESP Surge 171g - new
(Learning it and loving it)
x Star Leopard 174g - used
x Champion XCaliber 174g - new
Headwinds, Skip Shots

Midranges
x Limited Edition Crystal Z Buzzz 174g - used
Dead nuts straight up to 250' or so
x ESP Buzzz 172g - used
understable midrange
x Limited Edition FLX Drone 174g - new
Super Stable Midrange Upshots around the corner shots
x Limited Edition FLX Drone 174g - used
Anything into a headwind, main upshot disc

Putters
x M Wizard 170g - used
Headwind Putts
x M Wizard 170g - beat
Tailwind Putts

After my 2nd year of playing weeklys, doubles, and tournaments. I really decided to focus on just throwing a few discs to do what I needed to do, and now carry backups for the ones that really matter to me.

I highly recomend you deciding on which are your primary discs and breaking in some backups now so you won't be so crushed should you ever lose one of your favorites. Good luck, and have fun.

Last edited:
Valk= overrated!!!!! Go with the SS!!!!!

why do you always say this....what scale is it overrated on...... I don't care if you throw one or not, but just because you don't/can't throw one doesn't make it overrated........this is like the 10th time I have seen you post your opinion on the valk....wondering why you feel so strongly about this....

Depends on the Valk... i have a special edition that must be throw on an extreme hyzer to go straight. I also have a newer C.S. Star Valk and it is considerably more stable. 4 time JK Valks are pretty rad as are CEs if you've got a few to spare.

On the other hand, me FLX Avenger SS is a consistent tailwind performer with insane glide for me and a pro-d avenger ss = best out-of-the-box roller available.

I have thrown both and like the Valk much better. I find that you can't beat a Valk for hyzer flips. I could never find any consistency with my Avenger SS...maybe I just had a dud.

Avenger SS was the first disc ever threw. Loved it, lost it....got a star Valkyrie....go to disc now....but isn't always a love/hate relatioship.....

I started with the Avenger SS and eventually go a Valk. I never developed the same appreciation for the Valk as I did the Avenger SS. I generally only use the Avenger SS for turnovers or rollers, but it has remained in the bag. I think I gave the Valk away. Or lost it.... Something like that. I certainly haven't missed it, but that is just me.

I don't have great arm speed and have a hard time getting my Valk to do what I want.........the SS on the other hand is a great performer for me, love it and will stick with it for a while. The Valk is on the way out of the bag.

I would get them in similar weights, 165-170 ish, if you want the more understable versions.

Don't forget that the plastics make a big difference with the Valkyrie. I assume with the Avenger SS too.

I agree with the statements that the Avenger SS can make low straight shots with minimal fade. Many people do use this as an alternative to the Roadrunner for tunnel shots.
The Valk seems to use more height and fade more at the end.

Got some SS Avengers in my discraft misprints deal today. Got a 172 FLX 170 Z. Both are a lil slower than my valks and a bit more understable. The FLX was a little closer to Valk HSS.

However once I got the right amount of hyzer and started flipping it flat this thing goes pretty far 350+ just like my valks.

Latest posts