• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Valkyire turnover problem...

Albatross

I have a star 150 class Valkyrie, when I throw it instead of fading to the left at the end of its flight as it is supposed to, it "turns over" to the right. Is this a common problem? Is there a way to fix it?:confused:

It would be helpful to include some more information. type of plastic/wear, how far you are throwing it, and how you are throwing it - RHBH (right handed back hand)?

The Valk is an understable disc (even more so in DX and if beat up), it is also much easier to turn over a disc at light weights, such as 150 class.

150g is your problem, it's too light for you. Try throwing it with a 30mph tailwind, then you'll be in business. Thrown into the wind it will turn and burn in a heartbeat though.

Get something closer to 170g and you should have better results.

It would be helpful to include some more information. type of plastic/wear, how far you are throwing it, and how you are throwing it - RHBH (right handed back hand)?

The Valk is an understable disc (even more so in DX and if beat up), it is also much easier to turn over a disc at light weights, such as 150 class.

Star, almost new (used maybe 5 games, not only driver), RHBH. if it dosent turn over is can fly about 300 straight.

If you over-muscle a Valk, it will turnover and not come back. I'd recommend both of the suggestions made thus far:

1. Get a heavier weight
2. Put a little hyzer on it and flip it

A heavier weight would probably help.

But don't give up on this one, like eveyone else has said, find the right hyzer so you can flip it up and watch it soar....

I have a nicely worn CE valk 175g that I throw regularly. It is very flippy. I have to put a huge hyzer line on it if I want it to go straight or left (RHBH) but a newer one in star plastic is probably just to flippy because of the lighter weight. Use that one for hyzer flips, and get a heavier one for mor typical results.

I find the 150 Valks to be very sensitive, I prefer them around 166-172g. To get a finish more to the left, you can put more hyzer anywhere on it from the run-up, to the finish. You can also roll your wrist under at the hit to get more of a hyzer flight.

I throw a 168 DX Valk and have noticed it becoming less stable (more likely to turn right when throwing RHBH) as time has worn on (owned less than a year). I find I have to throw it higher to get closer to original flight characteristics or start with it in a significantly more hyzer release than when it was new.

A Star plastic Valk should hold its form and thus original flight characteristics longer, right?

Correct. Champion plastic is more likely to hold its flight characteristics the longest, followed by Star (both will stay true much longer than DX). The more beat up a disc becomes (in any plastic) the more understable it will become. This is especially the case for DX plastic.

I would say that your arm and your technique are developing, try going with a heavier weight. Since it is a Star plastic valk I would say that it's not breaking in. The DX valks break in very quickly and turnover. You may be just over torquing the discs or you could try a heavier weight.

Latest posts