• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vandal Proof Pin Holders

jdawg24

Par Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
I'm installing a course in an urban park in a not-so-great part of town, and am looking for ideas about how to secure the pins in a way that allows fairly easy rotation of baskets but makes it difficult to cut the locks and steal baskets. Each hole will have 2-3 pin locations so being able to move the baskets is a must.

Any good ideas out there?

Circular padlocks seem to work best since it's harder to get a bolt cutter on the shank.

Tips for securing baskets

For starters, there are so many different basket manufacturers to choose from, several new ones have been approved by the PDGA in the past year.

Gateway's baskets get high marks because the lock shackle goes thru the anchor and the pole, so the pole will not come out of the anchor unless the shackle is cut, whereas a DGA basket (Mach II, III, V) simply requires unscrewing one nut and one screw and you lift out the whole pole with cage and chain assembly, and leave the anchor, sleeve, and intact lock behind, truly lame when you think about it. We just had hole 3 stolen from CSUMB/Oaks (2011 Pro Worlds course), and that was the fifth basket stolen in the past 2 years..............

So here are a couple pointers:

Use plenty of cement, an extra $ 1 of cement can be that is needed to give the thief a hernia, I would always use at least an 80 lb bag, not a 60 lb bag.

Use RED (not Blue) Locktite on the bolts/nuts, so in the case of a DGA basket, that will prevent the chain assembly from being lifted off, and also prevent the pole sleeve from being liberated from the pole.

Even better, if you know someone with a portable welder, put a couple welds on the assembly so the parts can not be detached and removed from the overall assembly.

When it comes to selecting locks, these days some lock makers are using harder shackle metals, which should he harder to cut, so spend the extra money to get the boron carbide shackles, etc. And also try to get the locks that do not have exposed shackles, bolt cutters will have a real hard time getting any contact with the shackle if you use those types of locks.

Hope that someday there is a cheap Lojack service that can track a basket if it disappears.

Also think about a way to permanently mark your baskets so if anybody ever sees the stolen baskets, they will know exactly where they came from. Talk to an experienced metal worker, they may know how to etch or weld some logo onto the assembly.

Drop a piece of rebar down into your pole too...this will make it much more difficult to just hack the thing down. Unfortunately, they will do damage figuring that out, but at least the basket will still be there.

Look at the pins on the Towne Lake course in Mckinney. Impossible to cut locks, you have to cut the pole

I dont like the guy but he has a point

Thanks for the feedback! These will be Gateway baskets, which we selected entirely because they seem to be the heaviest duty (and hopefully vandalism resistant)

Look at the pins on the Towne Lake course in Mckinney. Impossible to cut locks, you have to cut the pole
I checked out the photo online, what are those boxes? I've seen similar sprinkler boxes before that completely protect the locks. Is that a sprinkler box?

They are just concrete and the pin is in them. Cant get to the lock with cutters

put up fake cameras in trees and signs stating "this area under 24hr surveillance" that might help curb the thieves.

put up fake cameras in trees and signs stating "this area under 24hr surveillance" that might help curb the thieves.

not always the best idea. This shows that the baskets are valuable and worth protecting.
like the guy who tried to give a way a trampoline. For 3 weeks he had a sign that said free. After 3 weeks he put a sign on it that said $100.00 OBO and the trampoline was stolen the next night.

Drop a piece of rebar down into your pole too...this will make it much more difficult to just hack the thing down. Unfortunately, they will do damage figuring that out, but at least the basket will still be there.

That's a really good idea.

Before you pour the concrete for the sleeves, pound 6-12" pieces of rebar in the bottom of the hole at an angle so some of the rebar is in the ground, and the other part will be in the concrete. This will make the basket nearly impossible to dig up. Think of it as adding "roots" to the basket.

yeah i was trying to figure a way to use one of those big van door padlocks and have the iron come all the way up from the concrete bottom.....and lock them that way....but would make moving the baskets a pain in the arse but maybe for permanent locations

A lock is only good enough to keep an honest man honest. Really you don't need to make them vandal proof you just have to make it too much effort for people to easily steal. So just a good lock on the Gateway baskets should work. I would stamp or etch the metal with distinguished markings as well.

Thanks for the feedback! These will be Gateway baskets, which we selected entirely because they seem to be the heaviest duty (and hopefully vandalism resistant)

I checked out the photo online, what are those boxes? I've seen similar sprinkler boxes before that completely protect the locks. Is that a sprinkler box?

Yea thats a valve cover box. They are great they the crap out of you extra pins. And makes it harder to get bolt cutters on the lock.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. We've decided on what we're doing to protect the baskets, so I wanted to share. These are Gateway Titan baskets and the sleeves attach through the pole, very different from the baskets I'm used to.

1 = welding the nuts/bolts that attach the basket to the pole
2 = filling the entire pole with concrete. We'll assemble the baskets, cap the top, the sit them upside down and pour concrete into the pole right up to the hole where the sleeve attaches
3 = drilling out the holes through the sleeve/pole to 5/8" and using 5/8" diameter trailer hitch locks
4 = using rebar into the ground and extra concrete when setting the sleeves

These should be incredibly secure. And the Gateway baskets are extra beefy, I've got one assembled and it weighs 70 lbs vs 56 for my Chainstar ... that is pre-concrete-in-pole weight

We just had our second basket stolen this year. No cut lock, just cut through the pole.

Latest posts