• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

vertical disc hunt/bounce

Phil Esra

Par Member
What is happening when a line drive shot starts skipping up and down in the air? Is it just hitting pockets of air currents? Is this what people mean by "air bounce"? Is it influenced by how the disc is thrown?

This is not what people mean by air bounce. An air bounce is when you throw a disc down with the nose up so that it starts going towards the ground and then rises because of the drastic nose up angle.

I believe what you are seeing is what can happen to a disc in the wind.

I'm pretty sure the phenomenon you are describing is a product of wind for two reasons.

First, I have never seen it happen on a calm day.

Second, I know that as you increase wind blowing into the top of a flying disc it will get pushed down and as you increase wind blowing into the bottom of a disc it will get lifted up. Regardless of which direction the wind is striking the disc from, if the speed of the wind changes like it would during a brief gust or lull it makes sense that you would see the disc move up or down accordingly.

Yeah, that can be called getting the "elevator" effect on the disc when it goes up and down like that. Windy days with weird gusts do that. Throwing a faster disc with less glide is the best way to avoid it. More glide means it'll be affected by the wind more.

Air bounces, as described above, are thrown downwards and then rise up for the next 50-100' or so...probably really depends on the person. People who played Ultimate are usually more likely to do this. I've seen some far throws like this, but there are more variables and the distance will top out at some level because of the nose up angle and the price you're paying for the disc to rise up rather than just driving it out there on the line you want.

It makes for some really cool flights though!

It is pretty cool. It looks like some pretty fancy aerodynamics out there. Glad it's not evidence of anything wonkier in my throw than choosing super-glidey discs (hi Mamba).

The descriptions above match what I was seeing on youtube when looking for examples of an air bounce (thought maybe it was different in disc golf). It is infinitely less cool than I pictured based on the vague sense of it I had gotten before now.

Latest posts