• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vibram Birdie Bash (VBB) - 2014 Edition

I have been seriously thinking about running a BB. This would be my first attempt at anything like this. I myself have only participated in 2 events (Ace Race & a Fundraser) so I do not have alot of insight into the TD side of things, and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some sort of "How to guide" for running a succesful event?

I know I can contact my Ace Race TD and he would be happy to give me pointers, but I dont want to blow up his inbox :D

Last years birdie bash was my first event to run. Since then I have ran a dd 2 disc challenge, ace race, co hosted an unsanctioned weekend event with the the chasing chain guys and am running a glow fund raiser (can foods) on Black Friday.
I learn a little bit more each time. The birdie bash makes it overly simple. And since they are pre packing everything should make it that Much easier.
The hints I can give you.
Good support staff. Get a friend or two to help you
Make sure your significant other is ok with you being totally involved in disc golf for the weekend.
You will be stressed. Don't worry.
No matter what you do someone will complain. We had free hot dogs, chips, chilies and nachos. Also gave a custom stamp mini. Several local business coupons for free stuff, free 100 dollar ace pot,8-10 door prizes. And I actually went swimming all day in our pond for lost disc.
Yet we still had 3 or 4 complainers. That told us what "we should of done"

Last years birdie bash was my first event to run. Since then I have ran a dd 2 disc challenge, ace race, co hosted an unsanctioned weekend event with the the chasing chain guys and am running a glow fund raiser (can foods) on Black Friday.
I learn a little bit more each time. The birdie bash makes it overly simple. And since they are pre packing everything should make it that Much easier.
The hints I can give you.
Good support staff. Get a friend or two to help you
Make sure your significant other is ok with you being totally involved in disc golf for the weekend.
You will be stressed. Don't worry.
No matter what you do someone will complain. We had free hot dogs, chips, chilies and nachos. Also gave a custom stamp mini. Several local business coupons for free stuff, free 100 dollar ace pot,8-10 door prizes. And I actually went swimming all day in our pond for lost disc.
Yet we still had 3 or 4 complainers. That told us what "we should of done"

Thank you for the info:) I need to put some feelers out and see how much interest there would be in my area,but even if I only had friends and family attend I would still be ecstatic:D
Is there any upfront costs I need to cover besides any extras that I want to add?
I am going to try and keep it as family/beginner friendly as possible there is a course by my house where the max hole distance is only about 350' and that is only 2holes ( I am sure this is where alot of the complaining will be).
It is tough pleasing everyone.
You could have a completely free event and people would still complain:wall:
I dont have to worry about my fiance I got her hooked on DG this summer so she will definately be ok with it:)
Again Thanks for the input

The only upfront cost may be course usage fee. Some courses/cities require a park fee. Ask your city or park director. It helps if maybe you offer part of the 5 buck td payout per player as a course donation. I was lucky. The city I'm working with just wants people on the course. And I have actually bought hole 13 and not that far from hole 14 with the cash I have got from events.
My first bash my goal was really 30. Same thing hoping for friends and family and with 2 weeks left I felt god cause we were at 42 or so. That last week 5-7 were added each day. And sold out the Thursday before the Sunday cutoff

I have been seriously thinking about running a BB. This would be my first attempt at anything like this. I myself have only participated in 2 events (Ace Race & a Fundraser) so I do not have alot of insight into the TD side of things, and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some sort of "How to guide" for running a succesful event?

I know I can contact my Ace Race TD and he would be happy to give me pointers, but I dont want to blow up his inbox :D

Right above the TD FAQs on this page is the Vibram Birdie Bash TD instructions. This should spell out exactly what to do to prepare, setup, day of, and post event stuff.

http://www.vibramdiscgolf.com/run-a-vbb.html

Can wait to run a birdie bash this year. I called Steve earlier to ask why they upped it 5 dollars and came away thinking they should have gone up 10. Amazing player packs for an even grander event. SO stoked. March 1 here we come.

Thank you Steve!!
My wife and I got to meet you this summer in Emporia at the Fly Mart.
The Birdie Bash we held out in Reno last year was crazy fun and I'll bring it up at our next club meeting to have another this year - can't wait!

Birdy Bash Port Orchard

Hey! loking forward to throwing a VBB in Port Orchard in March. Mould love to see you guys there! Send me a message for details!

It's At Van Zee Memorial park in Port Orchard, later part of March.

Thanks, Steve! Last year I popped my TD cherry, and learned A LOT. This year promises to be a lot of fun!

Last year I learned:

-Put at least one local on every card during the first round.
-Don't make it the same day as an NT event 2 hours away
-Buy the TD pack of discs. Many people who you meet in person have never seen/held a Vibram disc.

I am on the edge of whether or not I would like to TD a Birdie Bash event. I am going to do a little more research about it during my winter break. I was wondering if the people who have been TDs for this in the past can share some of the successful side games and additions that they added to their event to make it a success. Thanks

I did a reverse CTP race. Players tallied the CTP on each hole for both rounds. Players then got to pick from my prize stash, lowest total first. The player with the highest total at my event won a dog chewed 150g Roc :D

Latest posts