• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vibram Birdie Bash (VBB) - 2014 Edition

I say that YOU deserve the spirit award there!! Love the people in this sport.

I cheated on my spirit award a bit. I had 35 males, 1 woman, 2 juniors (13/12).

Before the event i contacted the woman. Usually during my events i have a connection with a local florist and they have always donated well. I explained the situation with the two juniors and offered her pretty much everything i have collected for females prizes. In exchange she gave up her female champion trophy so that the Jrs could compete for it. I gave the lady a handicap against the guys. She ended up with about 50 bucks worth of swag on top of her vibram pack. I then gave my 2nd place Jr the spirit award. I am a big believer in trying to get the Jrs out for events. This was actually one of my smaller Jr divisions. The cool thing about the story is the two Jrs actually knew each other, but didnt know that each played disc golf. They are now working together to get more of their friends to play.

We kinda had the same idea. We wanted to give something to one of the kids, but didn't want to pick one over the other. We didn't want to give it to the one that did better since the older brother was a bit better just because he was older. So we gave it to the dad and gave some stuff to the kids. Our kids were a bit younger than yours, we were really impressed that they played the whole thing, especially in the nasty weather.

silver lake, wi

I participated in the silver lake event yesterday. All I can say is that it was an excellent event. If anyone has ever considered doing one of these, you should. It was my first organized event, and I had a lot of fun. I thought it was well thought out/planned, and orchestrated. Steve, Terry and Dustin (Tournament Director) did a wonderful job in making sure the event went smoothly. If I can find another one in my area later this year, I may even do it again. Thanks to all the other participants and organizers.

I participated in the silver lake event yesterday. All I can say is that it was an excellent event. If anyone has ever considered doing one of these, you should. It was my first organized event, and I had a lot of fun. I thought it was well thought out/planned, and orchestrated. Steve, Terry and Dustin (Tournament Director) did a wonderful job in making sure the event went smoothly. If I can find another one in my area later this year, I may even do it again. Thanks to all the other participants and organizers.

Yeah, he did a good job, for sure. I'm not sure I'd bag a Vibram, but the event was definitely a good time.

Yeah, he did a good job, for sure. I'm not sure I'd bag a Vibram, but the event was definitely a good time.
This is a lot of the feedback I got from our event. Loved the event, had a ball, but not really in love with Vibram discs.

Several expressed interest in playing again next year, but weren't thrilled with their disc selections. One even, jokingly, asked if we could use Innova plastic next time.

I don't know if there's a good solution to this. More than 1-2x playing a VBB and you'll have all the Vibram you want. Do you order duplicates of discs you may no love? Hope you can trade them?
Maybe Vibram will have more discs in the lineup next year and this won't be an issue.

Yeah, my friend I went with lost an ace, due to the rubber. The disc was able to hit the bottom inside of the basket and bounce out without touching a chain. We all had putts hit solid and centered and bounce out. Another guy had an Ascent that was very Teebird like in the first half, but was flipping all the way over at the end. Discs should not beat in nearly that fast.

Last edited:
Yeah, my friend I went with lost an ace, due to the rubber. The disc was able to hit the bottom inside of the basket and bounce out without touching a chain. We all had putts hit solid and centered and bounce out. Another guy had an Ascent that was very Teebird like in the first half, but was flipping all the way over at the end. Discs should not beat in nearly that fast.
An Ascent which beat in after two rounds, eh?

:popcorn:

This is also an issue I ran into. 72 players last year. 38 this year. Many of my players said same thing. Not sold on rubber. It's also hard to sell when many players already had one of the drivers. I feel like maybe a speed 9-10 disc would be better suited for this event. Now people all loved the thrill of opening their packs to see what their disc would look like.

I should also say both years my event had wind of 30 mph-40 mph winds. Last year those laces just got laughed at. The oLace faired slightly better this year. I tried to explain to players. Not many disc would hold up with that wind. But now the players have 2 of their 5 drivers or 2 of their putters. That being said the players did seem to like their putters better then drivers.

It wasn't the material they had an issue with, just the molds.
Putters seemed to be more liked than the drivers.

I love my Ridge. Replaced my Wizards. The Lace was my first Vibram, picked up due to awesome coloring, and it's still in my bag. Just added an unLace as well. Sadly, the rest of the line just doesn't add to my bag, or even 1:1 replace anything in either.
I love the durability of the rubber vs plastic.

I do hope people come again next year. I'm planning on putting one on.

It wasn't the material they had an issue with, just the molds.
Putters seemed to be more liked than the drivers.

I love my Ridge. Replaced my Wizards. The Lace was my first Vibram, picked up due to awesome coloring, and it's still in my bag. Just added an unLace as well. Sadly, the rest of the line just doesn't add to my bag, or even 1:1 replace anything in either.
I love the durability of the rubber vs plastic.

I do hope people come again next year. I'm planning on putting one on.

I have five Ascents. I find them to be consistent from disc to disc and all are very slow to beat in. I can't imagine why one would beat to understable in two rounds.

We had our VBB yesterday. Perfect day for it!

Had 31 people. No women, so we made a Junior and Senior division. Senior was anyone 30 and over.....

Everyone had a great time. I took all the proceeds and purchased the whole set of Vibrams and a few other extras.

Gave away a soft putter for the person with the most 1s, so maybe their future putts will stay in... :thmbup:

Gave away all the rest (13 or 14 discs) in a random drawing. Everyone seemed to like that a lot.

I do agree with many others on here. I don't throw any Vibrams normally, but I love this event.....

It took me two years of throwing my first Ascent as my main driver to beat it straight. The rubber was different on the first runs. I can't believe it's that much different.
I agree. I've been throwing mostly Vibram for the better part of a year. They're not like super balls and bounce all over the place and they don't go flippy after two rounds. People like to blame the disc, not themselves. /shrug

Can anyone tell me when Vibram send the TD their Paypal payment? Some of the stuff I'm doing is predicated on having that cash, so I'd like to know when it'll be available. Also, I set this up so long ago, I don't even recall having to provide my Paypal info. :/

Can anyone tell me when Vibram send the TD their Paypal payment? Some of the stuff I'm doing is predicated on having that cash, so I'd like to know when it'll be available. Also, I set this up so long ago, I don't even recall having to provide my Paypal info. :/

I got mine this morning. My event was over the weekend.

I played my first VBB out of state, and had such a great time, that I can't wait for my local VBB. I didn't really need any discs to fill my bag, but was super impressed with the Ibex and VP. I didn't want to replace my putter, but after 2 Aces with the VP, I couldn't leave it out of the bag. I found the Ibex to throw nice and predictable from my very first throw. This upcoming weekend, I ordered a Lace to hopefully fill a driver slot in my bag, and the Summit to try out. And another Ibex, cause that is what I want to play my home course with.

I've been pleasantly surprised and happy with the quality and throwability of the Vibram discs. They are definitely finding spots in my bag.

Last day to register for mine is Sunday May 18th. Who wants to join the party May 24th at Sycamore Creek Church DGC in Pickerington, Ohio?