• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vibram Birdie Bash (VBB) - 2014 Edition

For TDs: what's been your approach on hole lengths? I am modifying a short 9 hole course to make 12 holes and can do about anything. So, make them all ace runs? Make players think strategically or what? I have mostly new players.

Mix it up - some shorter, (125-150) and some normal. Good players will score lots of points regardless, new players will score points on shorter holes. There's also the CTP rule for one point so don't worry about some standard holes being too long, my players boosted their scores with the CTP rule

For TDs: what's been your approach on hole lengths? I am modifying a short 9 hole course to make 12 holes and can do about anything. So, make them all ace runs? Make players think strategically or what? I have mostly new players.

We also used a 9-hole course. Longest hole is ~300ft normally.
We ran the normal course twice through, broke for lunch, then ran an alternate config that was nearly playing the course backwards.
The alt config was quite short. We didn't measure, but I'd guess most holes were <=200ft. A couple of them were around 100ft due to terrain limitations.
We played this config twice as well.

The scores on the second half were well over double that of the first half.
I suspect getting used to the discs, slightly warmer weather, and shorter holes all combined to make this happen.

Given the scoring for the event (and metal hits and aces being worth extra points) I think I'd probably set the course very slightly longer than the ~200ft. recommendation for an ace race event (as birdies are still points too).. probably something around a red level course? i.e. assume that players will be accurate off the tee out to ~260ft. That gives a nice range of lengths ~200-280ft. to work with (a lot of Westmoreland is already in that range, too). ;)

Given the scoring for the event (and metal hits and aces being worth extra points) I think I'd probably set the course very slightly longer than the ~200ft. recommendation for an ace race event (as birdies are still points too).. probably something around a red level course? i.e. assume that players will be accurate off the tee out to ~260ft. That gives a nice range of lengths ~200-280ft. to work with (a lot of Westmoreland is already in that range, too). ;)

I don't see you registered, jeverett! Put up your $30 and I'll listen to your math talk!

I don't see you registered, jeverett! Put up your $30 and I'll listen to your math talk!

*haha* Unfortunately we actually have my daughter's baptism ceremony that day, or I'd be signed up already (or at least volunteering, given my knee is still not 100% yet). ;) :p The event sounds great, though! :)

*haha* Unfortunately we actually have my daughter's baptism ceremony that day, or I'd be signed up already (or at least volunteering, given my knee is still not 100% yet). ;) :p The event sounds great, though! :)

Well players packs are available for anyone if you want it. Or you can help design the course next week.

Our course(mayflower park dgc) is a nice par 3 course and we will leave tee boxes where they r. If the longer holes are a issue after round one we will alter them.

I'm probably leaving all of mine alone. Holes range from 150-160 par 3s to 470 par 5. Even if there are beginners there, chances are they will still have fun even if they can't hit birdies at 150.

Registration question for some of the TDs. How did you register the players who gave you cash and you don't have an email address for them. I tried, using my email address, but the system is looking for a unique email address.

I signed up a player under my name and info. Just basically a second sign up for me, selecting their discs and shirt size.

Question for TDs, does Vibram provide scorecards for the event, or is TD to provide?

Played yesterday at Deer Lakes. Was a good time. I got a 175F ascent, and a 175M Sole. Played pretty well with them

I liked the ascent, really straight and could take some power

One suggestion I would make is to have a string around the bottom of the baskets for determining CTP. That was the only slowdown we had. Plus it helps to mark the hole used for CTP.

One suggestion I would make is to have a string around the bottom of the baskets for determining CTP. That was the only slowdown we had. Plus it helps to mark the hole used for CTP.

Good suggestion. If you know you have a smaller group (we had 18) - we did the CTP at the end on a shorter hole near tourney central. Everyone got to watch and was really fun.

Latest posts