• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Video Cameras?

Chucktown

Eagle Member
I am looking to buy a video camera for general use and so I can record and watch how I throw. I am looking for one that has a fast frame rate, is small enough to carry in the bag, and will be able to follow the disc in its entire flight. Any Suggestions?

this should work?
patricia-video-camera-operator2.jpg

I bought the Kodak Z1012is a couple yrs ago. Love the thing. 10.1MP, 12X optical zoom, 15X digital zoom, and I guess 720i HD video. It's in my bag everyday and takes pics/vids every day. With the CRV3 Lithium Ion battery, it lasts me 2 weeks, if I'm using it a ton.

If you're on a budget and want something that will fit in the bag, check out a pocket camcorder. The Kodak Zi6 and Zi8 are great models, but the zi8 can be hard to find.

The Flip Mino and Creative Vado HD are also popular models. These are super-basic point and shoot and connect to your computer via USB already mounted on the camera. They output to .mov files so you don't have to worry about capturing/encoding/etc. All you have to do is shoot, dump, and upload. Also they are all less than $300.

Just please, for the love of God, use a tripod.

Yeah I have been meaning to steal my sisters flip video but I haven't yet, I am not sure if those will be able to track a disc past a couple hundred feet. I am not too worried about the cost, maybe something between 200 and 600.

Just please, for the love of God, use a tripod.

Or at a minimum, a monopod. They setup quickly and are less bulk to carry. You still have to possess some lateral stability while holding the camera though.

Edit: Keep in mind this suggestion is for when you're filming others.

Last edited:
I'm interested in this, too. I think the frame rate is pretty key here, as it would be really useful for slowing down drive videos to check your form.

I'm interested in this, too. I think the frame rate is pretty key here, as it would be really useful for slowing down drive videos to check your form.

A camera shooting 720p60i will be good enough. The Kodak Zi6 and Zi8 can shoot this, Flip can't.

@OP: seeing a disc past a certain distance doesn't have as much to do with the camera as the operator.

What color discs are you throwing?
What kind of background are you throwing at? bright or dark? colorful or plain? etc.
What angle do you have the camera set-up at?

It might not be ESPN quality, but you can see a discs' flight if you pay attention to how you're shooting the video.

If you want a somewhat nicer camcorder than the Flip style cameras, you can get something like this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/JVC+-+E...lack/9731192.p?id=1218162692932&skuId=9731192

Sony, Canon, and Panasonic have similar competing models; I just did a quick search and the JVC popped up first. All the flash-memory models are pocket-sized and would easily fit in your bag. I have a Sony like this one, and it works well for me. There are also HD camcorders available that are about the same size, but they're generally over $500.

I'd prefer something that's more camera, but can take videos, like the two Kodaks mentioned above, any other thoughts on those type of digital cameras? Preferably one that gets some battery life...

\/\/

Any new thoughts on smaller handheld/pocket video cameras?

Latest posts