• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Video for form critique, thanks in advance.

LookIhitAtREE

Par Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7-KI2HgLAQ

Just curious what I am still doing wrong. My distance is lackluster: 225-250 max. A lot of shots seems to go quite up no matter what, and to me my follow through looks - off.

I apologoze for the weird look of the video, my wife held the camera sideways and I had to turn it with an editor. LOL.

Edit: I slowed it down to .5x to make it easier to see flaws, etc.

I'd definitely recommend going back to standstill throws, your timing looks really off to me. You also seem to be curling around on your reachback, work on physically rotation your shoulders more as you reach your arm back, so it curls around your body less, and is more straight. Just the first two things I noticed, I'll look some more and probably have another comment or two.

actually, just figured it out, you're swinging around from your reach back to your pull through. From a standstill, start your reach back, and reach STRAIGHT back, so your arm locks. then pull the disc straight through, and close to your chest, focusing on dragging it along a straight line.

On the pull through, put nicely, there is a bit too much to pull around, and it is tough to pull through your body. I used to swing my arm around my body like you do until I realized I got a ton more power my coming straight across my chest, which as helped me get to where I am now (skimming 400). Or, like ArcheType said, rotate the shoulders more and you can work around it.

Rotating the shoulders more won't work around it, but it will make it easier to correct. With more rotation, you'll be able to extend your arm far enough back that it will fully extend, to a locked elbow, and that should allow you to then pull back through on a straight line, if you time the pull through and forward rotation correctly.

I would say first work on your upper body movement and get your release down. Then you can work on footwork, and like the last poster your timing is off. 30% footwork, 35% upper body, and 5% mental; I say this break down because once you know the motion of how each disc is thrown, knowing what to do is very much instinct.

I will read back through all the basics again, and try some more standstill and follow some of the suggestions you guys mentioned. Pull through past the chest is a little harder with my "extra" body, but I will concentrate on this as well. I am working on that issue now (the extra weight) as I have lost 132 lbs already and have 55 to go. :)

Great job on the loss man. Not sure where you are at, but in Texas summers you can drop 50 pounds just playing DG....

I agree with the previous, you are pulling around, but it also looks like your front foot is being forced to far forward. All your weight is stuck in between your two pretty far stretched legs.
Try to center on top of the front foot, and shorten your last step. Its gonna help use the momentum you are generating during the run up. Right now you plant and stop all momentum before your throw really is getting going.

Yeah, congrats on the loss man, but honestly, size shouldn't be an issue, its all positioning. It's focusing on at which point do you extend your arm back and turn and all that. Bradley Walker throws rocs 375', and is a very large man, probably larger than you.

If you watch the "More Distance Now" video on Discraft, the guy on there talks about not curling the wrist under (down or closed) on your reachback. Your wrist should be straight and when you snap, you should just add a little "snap" back with your wrist.

Can someone with more knowledge on this elaborate on my point. I picked up some added spin when keeping my wrist straight in line with my forearm and on my snap I kind flicked my wrist open...it is demostrated pretty well on that video i mentioned.

If you watch the "More Distance Now" video on Discraft, the guy on there talks about not curling the wrist under (down or closed) on your reachback. Your wrist should be straight and when you snap, you should just add a little "snap" back with your wrist.

Can someone with more knowledge on this elaborate on my point. I picked up some added spin when keeping my wrist straight in line with my forearm and on my snap I kind flicked my wrist open...it is demostrated pretty well on that video i mentioned.
That is correct, but I will add that your wrist will close some during the pull and open at the hit (if done right, which most people don't do) but those moments are incidental. So don't try to force them, but you also don't want to prevent them from happening.

The hammer pound drills + building your throw from the hit back (aka Dan Beto video) + work = 350'+. I find that doing those drills and building your throw that way is much faster and easier (the drills are "self correcting") than trying to fix each problem individually.

FWIW, it looks to me like your nose up issues are at least partially a product of your weight shift. Your body is following through to the side rather than forward. You definitely aren't getting your weight transferred right. The Dan Beto video will help with that a lot.

There's too much going on. Simplify your windup.

Standing 90 degrees from the target, lean a little forward over your hands. As you extend your right arm straight back away from the target until your arm is fully extended, step toward the target with your left foot (this is your x-step, it doesn't have to be a big step - just big enough to comfortably keep your balance). From there, don't lean backward, as you step with your right foot directly at the target (again, this doesn't have to be a big step, as you want your body to continue to move forward after release of the disc) while pulling the disc directly to the target in a straight line. Leaning back will cause you to lose forward momentum and thus result in less distance and control.

Also, keep your left arm down and close to the body throughout your forward motion. The closer to the body, the better the turn. The "chicken wing" motion with the left arm kills momentum. It looks like on some of you last throws you were trying to push off of a wall or something. This slows your turn down at the worst possible time.

Keep it simple with all movement directly in line with the target. The only thing that should go backward is your reach back.

Shorten the length of the stride of your plant foot. This will make it so must easier to get the weight forward and the nose down.

Very cool of you all for helping...great advice.

@eegor - that is the best and most simple explanation I've heard and it really breaks it down for me...I wish it wasn't dark right now. I just got two new discs in the mail tonight and I can't wait to try your and everyone's advice and the drills some more. (btw the discs are a 150 Tbird star and a 168 Avenger ss Z)

Once again, thanks to all...great forum here.

Bob-

Welcome to the site! I have some timing issues I'm working on myself so reading through all these suggestions helps me and others as well. These guys have given you some good advice...good luck and keep hukkin'!! Oh and congrats on the weight loss! :)

Everything said so far is good

You look a little heavy on your feet, and don't have much weight transfer. Smooth everything out and you should see some distance improvement.

I won't repeat what others have already said, just say the two big problems I see. Just do the two drills mentioned from a standstill and it should help for now (hit back and hammer)

1. Not leading with your body. You are still leading with your arm, or strong arming.
2. Low to High Pull

Latest posts