• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Viking or Valk?

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I've been eyeing a Viking for a while now but I've recently become smitten with my 175 champ Valkyrie now that I can keep the nose down better. I'd still like a bit more fade though. So, the question is, should I get a Viking or try a Star Valk? Or should I quit being an Innova nuthugger and get something else? I throw RHBH mostly, avg around 300-330', more if I eat my wheaties and the stars align. I await your wisdom with bated breath.

I love my Valk,
My go to driver in most situations. If you put a lot of spin on it it will probably not get that fade you want as mine is pretty much a straight shooter. Fades a little right, then back left to exactly where I aimed.

i love the valk. i have bad form and and anny it way to much and turn it over like crazy but will throw it 400 if i can get her flying. its the disk after my destroyer.

I own both, not a real big difference-the Viking is a little more stable. The Viking has a little more fade and is more predictable and straight, better into the wind as you might expect. I've had both Champ and Star Valks and find the Champs to be more stable than the Star, I'd go with the Viking.

I don't think the Star Valk will fade any more than a Champ Valk.

The Viking to me was a dud. I thought it flew exactly as stable as a Valk with less glide, and I just couldn't figure out why anyone would want that disc. It turns out that the top they were using was defective, and the new Vikings (made in the last year) are as advertised...A more stable Valk. I guess the warning is that there are old Vikings still floating around, and they suck. I'm not sure how you tell them apart, either.

As far as other discs go, I'm not sure. Both the XS and Wildcat are good Valk replacements from Discraft, but probably neither would give you the fade you are looking for.

Maybe an Millennium Orion LF. An OLF in either Q or S is a really good moderately overstable driver that will give you that fade. I'm sure there are others as well. The Starfire might be another option, but I find it to be a bit more overstable than I'm looking for. The Orc might also be in that general category. I know people who swear by the Discraft Avenger, but I didn't like it into the wind. That probably was operator error, however. I also know some hardcore Gateway guys who use the Blurr for that type of shot, but the Blurr has a huge wing compared to the other discs I mentioned, so it might be apples and oranges.

if your throwin a valk that far you gotta try a starfire in champ or dx ,star and pro are different molds. id start off with upper 160s or lower 170s, actually not sure if star is a SL but i know the pro is. if you need the highspeed turn then go with the stafire long(SL) but from what your sayin i think you should get rid of the h.s.t. ,going with a lighter overstable disc with no turn will help it kick out a little right like a valk but never stay right

btw the Orion LF and the starfire are pretty much the same so if you find either one you wont need both, also i cant throw 175 valk 300+ without killing my arm but i can throw a 167 stafire 350+ so youd probally murder it. dont buy the orions at academy those are long straight which is probally the same as the valk

if your throwin a valk that far you gotta try a starfire in champ or dx ,star and pro are different molds. id start off with upper 160s or lower 170s, actually not sure if star is a SL but i know the pro is.
The Champ Starfire and the Star Starfire are the same Starfire X mold. The Pro Starfire and the Star SL are the same Starfire L mold. From the distances you are throwing and the fact that you are looking for a disc that fades, the Starfire X discs would be the ones you would be interested in. The Starfire L discs would probably turn over on you.

is it just me or does it seem like the tl and sl are just valks and orcs and that they could just get rid of them to end the confusion,except i think climo throws a sl so that might screw that up

The Viking will fly better into the wind compared to the Valk. That being said, I throw a Valk for my distance, and when I need similar distance with little fade at the end I reach for my Avenger. It flies almost as far, but fades much more at the end of the flight.

I vote Valk over Viking. Both are great discs though and extremely similar. The Valk is definitely the more popular of the two, so maybe you should give the Viking some love. The Viking is probably better for tighter fairways.

I vote Valk over Viking. Both are great discs though and extremely similar. The Valk is definitely the more popular of the two, so maybe you should give the Viking some love. The Viking is probably better for tighter fairways.

Agreed for the tighter fairways. I personally use a Polaris LS for tight fairways. It goes just about as far as the Viking, but goes straight as an arrow.

From a pros point of view: Viking = extremely flippy awesome 400' rollers disc, valk= awesome 500' roller discc. Champ viking= awesome understable roc + 150 feet, valk just a long-distance rollers disc. THe viking is just so much better?!?!?! Screw the Orc its just for weak armed peeps who long extremely wide rims who cant handle the wraith or destroyer, Sorry!!

From a pros point of view: Viking = extremely flippy awesome 400' rollers disc, valk= awesome 500' roller discc. Champ viking= awesome understable roc + 150 feet, valk just a long-distance rollers disc. THe viking is just so much better?!?!?! Screw the Orc its just for weak armed peeps who long extremely wide rims who cant handle the wraith or destroyer, Sorry!!

Yeah, I think I'm gonna gravitate to the Viking, based on your comment about the Orc, probably my least favorite disc so far.

I'm not too sure what's wrong with the ORC, your last sentence really didn't make sense to me. what is "who long extremely wide rims who can't handle the wraith or destroyer.

what i can say is that the orc is a great disc and will compliment any AM player's bag. it will help to encourage good form because it does not require the arm that destroyers do but provides near the same flight characteristic. i carry 2 destroyers and 2 orcs in my bag and when i want 500+ and have no wind i reach orc. when i want 350 through a tight tunnel i go orc. but between the viking and valk i would say go valk.

Thanks for the advice brah, totally makes sense to me, but if anyone wants to come up then its not good pro advice. Leave the orc for the ams. Wraiths & destroyers for pros. HAHA not being a dick love y'alll baby!!!!