• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Viking

I know one Innova Pro who simply bombs his Champ Viking. It's a very misunderstood and underrated disc that got lost in the wraith era. It also suffers from starter packitis that is it along with the aviar leopard shark etc have been part of innova starter packs in dx and newer players refuse to throw them as they have beginner stigma. Nothing could be further from the truth. All great discs.

I know my wife threw here DX Viking in the water at Farm Life DGC in Northeastern NC . . . I hope it comes back but I also just replaced with with a DX Valkyrie. We would have had no issue if she had just slowed down to throw the Dragon I gave her for water shots. Prior to losing it she loved the Viking.

I think the Viking's problem is that it followed the Valk which had at the time recently been used to set the world distance record.

But Innova still makes it in two plastics. It must have enough fans to stay in production.

I love Vikings. One of the original control drivers. Speed 9, some turn, some fade.

Very workable. Can throw s, hyzer, ropes.

They need to make it in star.

It is apparently one of Dave D's favorites.

loved mine...just like Danjon said , work the piss out of it...also it was made in the old pearly plastic that i loved...i still have a tyedye old run if your looking to buy new let me know

The local PIAS has at three or four used Champ Vikings. I might have to pick one up to try with all this Nordic Love being shown....

My main driver. At least the pre flight rating stamped ones that are marked VG not VK. I think these are flatter then the newer ones and the plastic was a little nicer. But like everyone else said a very workable disc. Love when thrown flat the nice slide the disc has before it flattens out and then fades predictable

Heard the old flat gummy pearly ones were perfect and one of the best drivers. Now all I see is the domey hard champion plastic.

I've never thrown one but I've always been interested in one so I can have something longer than my eagles but slower than the Avenger. Yet still have the control.

One of the most underrated discs ever, if it came out now by a different sexay company you guys would be drooling all over it.

That said I have a bunch but none in my bag lol.

Not much difference between my old gummy one and new domey one, might actually like the new one better, it is pink after all. Champs almost always have rim flashing and they are AMAZING for on a rope hyzer flips and crosswinds for a couple weeks. After the flashing is gone they settle into their actual flight, with some turn and some fade. Great control for late breaking turns/controlled OAT stuff. L64 levels of glide, easy distance, great in tail, crosswind but not so much headwind.

I've been using Saints in that slot for a while since they're a bit more stable. Could probably say, "To hell with mold reduction!" and have a better game with a stable Saint and a Viking in the bag.

Threw a beat champ viking when I first started and was great disc.. learned to hyzer flip, controlled anhyzers and spike hyzers with that disc and it just got bumped out when I started throwing the Flash (its like discrafts viking lol) Its one of the lost great discs but thats what happens when you have 5 discs of every speed and stability... lol

They should put this guy on the stamp

220px-Technoviking.jpg

I've been using Saints in that slot for a while since they're a bit more stable. Could probably say, "To hell with mold reduction!" and have a better game with a stable Saint and a Viking in the bag.

My thoughts as well. The Saint move my champ Viking out of my bag....for now. Versitile disc with a lot of dependability. :thmbup:

I have a DX Viking in my bag that I can often fling further than most every other disc in there. BUT, for some odd reason, I rarely use it. I think it's because whenever I have someone play with me who doesn't play much, they choose to throw that one and I just never really got too attached to it. Sounds dumb, I know. I can get it to do real nice S-curves and it's very controllable. For me and my experiences, I'd say it is quite similar to a faster Teebird. Definitely worth giving it a shot, but I think for most players there's already a disc in their bag that is similar enough to not warrant a replace.

Latest posts