• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Virginia Courses

Sleeves and poles are in at Forest Valley (in the woods at Forest Greens Golf Course near Quantico), baskets maybe this weekend. Tees are roughly half way there. Currently playable with temporary baskets but only open to NOVA Club members until the place is complete (maybe a month?). All wooded, tons of elevation, 3 tees and 2 permanent baskets per hole- the long to long is an absolute beast.

Man it is hard to remember all the courses individually but I'll chime in with a few that looking at the list pop out as memorable.

Signal View DGC now Limestone Ledges - I remember this course when it was only 9 holes and it was still a great course. It's now 36 holes! Great park and scenic surrounds makes for a great day of disc golf. I also couple this course in my mind with a near by private course that I loved playing in the annual tournament for. Both great examples of courses for the area.

Mountain Lake DGC (RIP) - Mountain Lake has had multiple courses over the years but The one titled DGC was a hidden gem designed overtop of a couple holes of an old ball golf course. It had a fantastic view off the 18th green that just rapped up the scenic surroundings. Almost broke my truck getting to the course but really enjoyed the experience. Sad that it didn't survive.

Thornspring DGC - Played this course this summer for my Bday course bagger weekend. It was a 100 hole day on July 1st so it was such a nice break in the day to get to ride a golf cart around and play a really nicely kept and fun course. Amazing the difference not having to hike up and down hills in the heat can do for the enjoyment of a round. All courses should have golf carts.

Maymont Park (Temporary course set up once a year for a fundraiser tournament) - This course is a mostly object course so it could be played outside of the annual tournament but would likely be difficult to do. The course plays through the grounds of a 100-acre Victorian estate that has several types of gardens and wildlife exhibits and petting zoo. The grounds have overlooks of the James River and some fun unique holes that only the object experience can give. On a nice December day this is a not to miss event each year.

Thanks for sharing Lee. I didn't know that there was a course in Surry. I lived in Isle of Wight years ago and would have loved a course out there.

Last edited:
The Silver Series will be at Lake Marshall's Lions course end of the month. The course is being re-numbered for the event only. The finishing holes 13 thru 18 with elevation, woods, open, and water will be fun to watch! No. 1 will be a solid opening hole.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=8964

https://scontent.forf1-4.fna.fbcdn....kRs-YfDfvCnXgSXhDdJqi9Ps4uoW2n-Qw&oe=63422097

Fun renumbering, though I think the flow on the original numbers works a little better. Of course I always start with hole 15 and end with 14 cuz that's easiest for parking. Their new 18 will certainly be eagle-able coming down the stretch.

I got to play Mayflower Hills in Roanoke back in August. Great course. I keep meaning to review it but... life stuff...

It was kind of a cross between Orange Crush (Fairmont, WV) and Deer Lakes (Tarentum, PA). That's high praise for any course. If I do give it a rating someday, it will probably be a 4.5.

I did enjoy Mayflower but I found the amount of slanted hillside fairways and greens to be a bit repetitive. It may have been due to the fact it was at the end of a long road trip where we played Harmon Hills twice the day before. My middle aged body was a bit beat up. I'll have to play it again fresh to give it a fair shake. It did remind me of Orange Crush a bit.

I did enjoy Mayflower but I found the amount of slanted hillside fairways and greens to be a bit repetitive. It may have been due to the fact it was at the end of a long road trip where we played Harmon Hills twice the day before. My middle aged body was a bit beat up. I'll have to play it again fresh to give it a fair shake. It did remind me of Orange Crush a bit.

Yes I also played after playing a decent length 18-hole course earlier in the day. It was exhausting! To make matters worse, hole 18 might be one of the most punishing finishing holes I've ever played. A par 5 gradual uphill? Ouch. I got so tired that I left a nice Z Swirl (Ledgestone) Undertaker around the basket. So sad... I have never done that before, but such was the course.

My most memorable shot was on the long, open, gentle downhill (hole 14). I got within 200' and then made eagle with a 2nd' shot Ion throw-in! Ok, that was technically my 2nd attempt, but it was still memorable.

Fun renumbering, though I think the flow on the original numbers works a little better. Of course I always start with hole 15 and end with 14 cuz that's easiest for parking. Their new 18 will certainly be eagle-able coming down the stretch.

I also started at 15. I think part of the reason for the re-numbering is gallery management from parking to tournament central where the vendors are between what we played as 12, and 15. Its going to be a long walk for the players to reach the re-numbered #1 hole from player camping and practice field (alongside #6) passing by a few fairways and staying out of the way. I think its the best that can be done to manage the gallery.

Those closing holes re-numbered 13-18 a few will lose the tournament on round 3, and its possible the winner will win it on 18. If my memory serves me correct James Conrad eagled that hole a few years back at the Lake Marshall Open.

I also started at 15. I think part of the reason for the re-numbering is gallery management from parking to tournament central where the vendors are between what we played as 12, and 15. Its going to be a long walk for the players to reach the re-numbered #1 hole from player camping and practice field (alongside #6) passing by a few fairways and staying out of the way. I think its the best that can be done to manage the gallery.

For the purposes of this year's event we needed tournament central closer to the existing infrastructure (Gary's house) and the field between (normal numbers) 12 and 15 is easily the best spot for vendor space, etc. There is also considerably more easily accessible parking on that side. Players will not be asked to walk from the warmup area to the tee- we have golf carts for that.

Those closing holes re-numbered 13-18 a few will lose the tournament on round 3, and its possible the winner will win it on 18. If my memory serves me correct James Conrad eagled that hole a few years back at the Lake Marshall Open.

He actually did so twice in the same event which was still called "The Laurels" at that point. Second time was in the rain in this video. That hole starts at roughly the 47 minute mark.

Either that hole or the normal Hole 18 make great finishing holes but the island hole should make for some great spectating as well.

The change will not be permanent.

Sleeves and poles are in at Forest Valley (in the woods at Forest Greens Golf Course near Quantico), baskets maybe this weekend. Tees are roughly half way there. Currently playable with temporary baskets but only open to NOVA Club members until the place is complete (maybe a month?). All wooded, tons of elevation, 3 tees and 2 permanent baskets per hole- the long to long is an absolute beast.
Blue/medium to long is already the hardest course I've ever played. :popcorn:

Blue/medium to long is already the hardest course I've ever played. :popcorn:

In some cases the golds are longer but also have a cleaner line (3,8,12). OTOH the golds for 8 and 16 approach Par 6 territory. The whole place will get a bit easier as it beats in and select trees continue to be removed.

I don't think it is as hard as either Lake Marshall Lions or Waller Mill from long to long. YMMV.

In some cases the golds are longer but also have a cleaner line (3,8,12). OTOH the golds for 8 and 16 approach Par 6 territory. The whole place will get a bit easier as it beats in and select trees continue to be removed.

I don't think it is as hard as either Lake Marshall Lions or Waller Mill from long to long. YMMV.
16 ate my lunch. Hit an 85' putt to save 7 day 1, couldn't replicate the 85' putt day 2 and took the snowman.

I haven't played Lions since it's been finished(circa 2017-18), but the lines and challenges are way different. Haven't played Waller Mill yet.

16 ate my lunch. Hit an 85' putt to save 7 day 1, couldn't replicate the 85' putt day 2 and took the snowman.

I haven't played Lions since it's been finished(circa 2017-18), but the lines and challenges are way different. Haven't played Waller Mill yet.

Have you played Mayflower Hills? I think you'll enjoy that.

It was a sidewinder22 post that put Orange Crush in my mind years before I even thought of living in or visiting West Virginia! Any Orange Crush lover will love Mayflower as well.

Have you played Mayflower Hills? I think you'll enjoy that.

It was a sidewinder22 post that put Orange Crush in my mind years before I even thought of living in or visiting West Virginia! Any Orange Crush lover will love Mayflower as well.

Played mayflower right after it opened, definitely enjoyed!

The Blockhouse, both the Sunnyside and Darkside courses are ranked in the top 10 for Virginia , There's also a Tiki Course. The property is private with membership and offers camping. I found it difficult to get on the course last year when it was busier, but this year after winter storms brought down a couple hundred trees, the course was closed for several months, and it's possible the owner may have lost some members? When I called last month, I got a yes, and drove up the next morning.

If you of had thoughts of playing the course, I would think the time would be now until the spring depending on membership usage. The owner is a great guy, spent a few moments chatting with him on the course. Contact information on the course information page.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=792

Photos are of Sunnyside, the course a good variety:

Left: #9 tee loved playing this tee shot, in the corral flag on top of basket.

Center: #10 another fun tee shot, basket on the up slope.

Right: #10 basket

Majority of the Darkside was like playing wooded alley golf. Posted photo's of all the holes.

Forgot the photo's:

Attachments

• bs9.jpg
    bs9.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 26
  • bs10a.jpg
    bs10a.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 25
  • bs10.jpg
    bs10.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 24
Zach Melton now has a new look, he lost a bet to the Lake Marshall FPO winner Macie Velediaz. Macie winning was the bet.

https://youtu.be/u25Yyg8dEGY

That is great!! Got a chance to meet ZM briefly in Kingsport, he was very cool. Not surprised he followed through. :hfive:

CONGRATS to Macie, East Tennessee taking the WIN!! :clap::clap::clap:

Latest posts