• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] VP or Ridge

VP or Ridge?

• VP

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Ridge

Votes: 28 87.5%

• Total voters

south city flyer

Par Member
I have been wanting to try out Vibram's putters for quite some time and have looked at both the VP and Ridge side by side and cannot decide which one to invest in and try out. Right now i do all my putting with a medium flex Wizard and my approach shots and long distance putts with a soft Magic. Being a STL guy, I love Gateway's putters, but I really want to try one of these Vibram putters. Has anyone tried both of these putters and can enlighten me on which one they liked more? Or if you are crazy about one of the two, please tell me why. Thanks :thmbup:

Both are meant to do different things. The Ridge is very much like a less glidey Wizard, a bit more overstable when starting out, where as the VP is very overstable, glideless wind fighter. It's probably the most reliable putter when the wind kicks up, but you can't really finesse it in any way.

the ridge is used on 90% of my upshots. it will hold any line you want and is much better than the vp for driving

This is all true. I feel like the VP is a one-trick pony (albeit one that's very good at its trick), whereas the Ridge is great at nearly anything. I use it for basically anything inside 100-150ft, depending on the situation. Sometimes more than that.

Also, you can beat some glide into the Ridge. Once it's worn a little, put some good snap on it and it'll go.

Thanks for all the great input so far. Another question I forgot to ask is which X-link should i get, firm, regular or soft? I usually love real stiff putters because it gives me a little more confidence because its not going to be too floppy coming out of my hands, so really its just regular X-Link or frim

The X-link plastic is not floppy even in Soft. At least its not in my soft Summit.

I dunno what soft you have but I can roll mine in a tube..

The firm is awesome for putting and the regular is best for approaches as its insanely durable.

I dunno what soft you have but I can roll mine in a tube..

The firm is awesome for putting and the regular is best for approaches as its insanely durable.

Same here. I give another vote for the VP being a wind fighting disc and another being that the ridge is the better choice to start with. I have both my VP and Ridge in Firm and they are what they are...firm. I have a medium summit and that's too soft for me. The thing that sucks about getting into Vibram is that they're expensive to experiment with and nobody else really has them for you to try. Why not just get both discs in firm plastic?

Ridge!!! :thmbup:

I can't comment on the Soft, but the regular (I'm calling it Medium from now on) X-Link is interesting in that it's definitely bendable --more so than, say, a soft APX-- but it doesn't bend in your hand like a Soft Magnet. I putt with a birdie grip, and the flight plate of the M Ridge doesn't bulge up where my middle finger touches it. I don't really know exactly what to compare it to, but I think it's a good mix.

Firm is firm.

I carry both at all times.

The VP rules inside the circle, in any weather conditions, I like the soft, and it is FLOPPY, because it sticks like glue and never rolls away.

If you are looking for a true putter the VP is the top choice.

The Ridge is a workhorse, like the others say, you can drive with it, use it for upshots, or for long putts. This is a very versitile disc that can be used reliably for any line you want to put it on.
I prefer the regular X Link rubber for my Ridges, soft seems to collapse when you put alot of torque on it, like when you drive with it.

I started with the VP, only because there was no Ridge when I bought it, but the Ridge is probably the better choice for a first putter.

well i put with glow wi2ards that are soft and i love having the vp to do heavy wind putting, putting around trees....aim for side mooseknuckle and it fades in the chains, and great for forehand approach shots that have tricking landings and you can make a run at the chains forehand instead of risking ob/three putting.

Try the Ridge first. As others say, it's definitely more versatile. Mine continues to grow on me the more I throw it.

The Ridge will be most Wizard like. I liked it a lot when I used it. A firm ridge is a lot like putting with a medium wizard or a KC Aviar, driving though snag an XLink and you'll never have to worry about it. I like the firms most for putting, driving and approach with them for some reason never felt right for me.

But one of vibram's players on the site (Dana), likes the firms for upshoting and such... so, yeah.

ridge all the way . i love driving off the teebox with mine. you have to put it up in the air a little because it has no glide but it will hold any line you put it on

Funny how everyone says they'll hold any line you put it one, my Ridge always wanted to pull out of anhyzers.

Latest posts