• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wait What???

Awww, did you guys get a warm fuzzy feeling from posting this? Did it help reduce some guilt?
:rolleyes:

This thread is more proof of why I'm happy to just play the damn game. Enjoy your tourneys.

I mean, yeah, now that you mention it, I do tend to feel a bit better about things when I act in a way I believe is right, or stand up against something I believe is wrong. I guess when I put myself in someone else's shoes who might read what I initially responded to, it makes me want to say something. Thanks for asking.

Awww, did you guys get a warm fuzzy feeling from posting this? Did it help reduce some guilt?
:rolleyes:

This thread is more proof of why I'm happy to just play the damn game. Enjoy your tourneys.

Awww, did you get a tiny "spiky" from quoting us? Don't @ me.
<3

Sexism is not about carte blanche exclusion or inclusion, that's a derivative argument for certain scenarios. Sexism is prejudice and/or discrimination. Therefore there are social and cultural power dynamics at play. Blanket generalizations about inclusion are a slippery slope to "separate but equal" arguments IMO.

I make this point because I understand what Golden Tuna is trying to say, though I agree it may not have come off in the best light.

There's a big difference between academically/theoretically discussing social group dynamics and implementing policy for governance. In that sense, GT is technically correct.

However, that's taking the argument in a vaccuum. In the real world, we're looking at somewhere around a 12:1 ratio when it comes to gender participation in this sport, so in order to promote growth of that under-represented demographic, you create protective policy so that the minority is not snuffed out or made extinct.

There is a cultural component as well, while Men and Women competing on the tour may have fewer differences in terms of lifestyles or mindsets (considering they're all treating it as a job, for the most part) - in amateur events it's a different ballgame. Hobbyists compete for enjoyment and camaraderie, and oftentimes what constitutes those things is different for men and for women (also for older and younger, but let's focus on gender for the moment). If you have an extreme minority, and we do, we risk having a culture which becomes male dominant and unwelcoming to women. Thus, we create policies.

Again, none of this can really be extrapolated or taken out of this context, it would be inappropriate to copy/paste this discussion in another framework (i.e. Tour Events or larger competitive amateur events). We're discussing amateur events here at a B-tier or below level. The "grassroots" of the competitive scene.

Getting back to the OP - Matt Dollar is known to white knight. I don't particularly agree with his style of confrontation, I've been on the receiving end of it before, and I've found it to be unfair and more about calling people out than solving problems. I never saw the actual review, so I can't speak to its content, but I hope that this issue A) continues to be discussed and B) discussed in a productive manner.

OG context was a 0 star review of a course with no content about it but thrashing the designer and usual TD for not offering women's divisons in a C tier.

The event coming up had most divisions including female, but no MPO/FPO. It filled very quickly and I don't think any women signed up before it filled.

There is also a masters and older only that only has the typically male divisons posted now. That could be what he's upset about. That event had at least one women's card last year and didn't fill(and isn't full now) so I'm not sure why that would be.

No problem with Dollar calling out a TD if it was done in a more conservative way, but that's low to rage in a review.

I mean, yeah, now that you mention it, I do tend to feel a bit better about things when I act in a way I believe is right, or stand up against something I believe is wrong. I guess when I put myself in someone else's shoes who might read what I initially responded to, it makes me want to say something. Thanks for asking.

Awww, did you get a tiny "spiky" from quoting us? Don't @ me.
<3

Hating yourself isn't "right".

This whole situation makes me feel like Bradley Williams got cucked pretty badly by the PDGA with the 18 month suspension for the Dollar confrontation.