• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Want to disc up a bit, what should I look into?

EDIT - There is a things such as getting a disc up to the speed where the disc will fly like it was engineered to. WHy do you think all drivers fly the same if you only throw them 100' and if you throw a tern only 340 you shouldn't be throwing it. I can throw consistantly over 500 and a lot of the time I will choose to throw a teebird and not a distance driver because of the more consistant flight. And I can put a teebird over 500.

Just stick to throwing fairways until you can get those in the 350-400 range consistantly thn move up

There is a things such as getting a disc up to the speed where the disc will fly like it was engineered to. WHy do you this all drivers fly the same if you only throw them 100' and if you throw a tern only 340 you should be throwing it. I can throw consistantly over 500 and a lot of the time I will choose to throw a teebird and not a distance driver because of the more consistant flight. And I can put a teebird over 500.

Just stick to throwing fairways until you can get those in the 350-400 range consistantly thn move up

You actually believe this makes any sense? If a basket is 340(we have one right around there) why throw short of it if I can throw under it or slightly past it? Why why why? Who cares how it was engineered if it's parked?

while i agree that discs perform differently at different speeds thus the need to get a disc up to speed, i don't agree that you should consistently be able to throw 400'+ before you use a 12 or 13 speed driver. not everybody is able to throw that far and not everybody is dedicated to doing field work and working on their form in order to hit that magical 400' mark. i know plenty of people that can't throw that far but by using 12-13 speed discs are able to get "easier" distance with a little less effort, especially when throwing multiple rounds a day. there is no textbook way to use a disc, if it works for you then use it. not everybody needs to be able to bomb a leopard or a teebird before they can throw a tern or a vulcan. that attitude reeks of disc snobbery.

You actually believe this makes any sense? If a basket is 340(we have one right around there) why throw short of it if I can throw under it or slightly past it? Why why why? Who cares how it was engineered if it's parked?

I think the reason the idea of not throwing faster discs if you cant throw it really really far is based on the advice that if you are new to the game and are trying to learn with a max D driver you will adjust your throw to make your fast disc work for you, whether it be wrist roll to get more turn or what have you. It seems it has evolved into this unwritten rule of the forums to some people because this advice gets reiterated so often without an explanation.

I think if you can throw a higher speed disc where you want it to go and it works for your game like no other disc can, go for it. Just be mindful that you aren't mangling your form to get the disc to do what you want it to.

I dont think you understand what we are trying to say to you. Obviously if you have a 340' hole and your tern gets you there while your renegade is 20' short then by all means throw your tern. The thing is you say that you want to disc up and get something that will go further when it is not the discs fault that it is not going further its yours. And to be able to get the disc to go further you need to play and practice more and the quickest way to get your form in place and learn how to get your arm and the disc up to speed is by throwing slower discs. It will work out the kinks in your form. Then when those discs start going furhter for you then you know its time to step up.

I think if you can throw a higher speed disc where you want it to go and it works for your game like no other disc can, go for it. Just be mindful that you aren't mangling your form to get the disc to do what you want it to.

Exactly

while i agree that discs perform differently at different speeds thus the need to get a disc up to speed, i don't agree that you should consistently be able to throw 400'+ before you use a 12 or 13 speed driver. not everybody is able to throw that far and not everybody is dedicated to doing field work and working on their form in order to hit that magical 400' mark. i know plenty of people that can't throw that far but by using 12-13 speed discs are able to get "easier" distance with a little less effort, especially when throwing multiple rounds a day. there is no textbook way to use a disc, if it works for you then use it. not everybody needs to be able to bomb a leopard or a teebird before they can throw a tern or a vulcan. that attitude reeks of disc snobbery.

:clap: :hfive:

I dont think you understand what we are trying to say to you. Obviously if you have a 340' hole and your tern gets you there while your renegade is 20' short then by all means throw your tern. The thing is you say that you want to disc up and get something that will go further when it is not the discs fault that it is not going further its yours. And to be able to get the disc to go further you need to play and practice more and the quickest way to get your form in place and learn how to get your arm and the disc up to speed is by throwing slower discs. It will work out the kinks in your form. Then when those discs start going furhter for you then you know its time to step up.
I'm not the disc up person. I jumped in to recommend some slightly less overstable discs than the first list that was given. Then Beast stability came up, and here we are.

First off it really isn't that hard to throw 400ft with proper form. I thought it was impossible until I got some help from some very good local palyers & I attended a clinic. After working on what I was taught I went from 350 - 475ft very quickly. If people aren't willng to put in the time practcing then they shouldn't be throwing fast/big rimmed distance drivers. The reason you shouldn't throw a bigger rimmed disc/higher speed is that without that kind of distance you aren't getting that disc up to speed ergo it will fly more overstable. Also you may be able to get some more distance out of a Nuke compared to a Teebird but if you aren't getting the Nuke up to speed then you are only gaining a few feet with the chance of throwing less accurately/more erratically. And that attitude doesn't "reek of disc snobbery" we are trying to inform & help players improve. If a person discs down & uses Fairway Drivers, Mids & Putters only of various stabilities (mostly stable & understable not all OS discs) for a decent amount time they will see improvements all around, it worked for me & I've seen it work for many others. Damn people are so lazy (not directed at you disc qualified), they decide to just spout off about topics that they know anything about. These are the same people who complain about their distance but won't go in a field & work on it.

I'm not the disc up person. I jumped in to recommend some slightly less overstable discs than the first list that was given. Then Beast stability came up, and here we are.

And I obviously didnt read the whole thread, I just jumped in as well.

The reason you shouldn't throw a bigger rimmed disc/higher speed is that without that kind of distance you aren't getting that disc up to speed ergo it will fly more overstable.

There are plenty of higher speed discs that flip easily for the under 350' thrower. And that's in calm winds.

"Up to speed"

Iconrotflmao.gif

There are plenty of higher speed discs that flip easily for the under 350' thrower. And that's in calm winds.

"Up to speed"

Iconrotflmao.gif

As true as this might be the disc is more than likely still not up to speed

not everybody who throws high speed discs throws a nuke or a boss. plenty of folks throw katanas, mambas, vulcans, swords and other discs that don't require as much power to achieve distance.

"Up to speed"

Iconrotflmao.gif

Yes. I don't have a huge arm, probably an average 350' thrower, but I carry a bliz katana for more open holes cause I can really bomb it if its not too windy.

And yes........If you can't throw 400+ there is no sense in having a 12/13 speed disc in your bag if you want it to do what it was "designed" to do. Why through a driver on a 300ft hole if you can throw a mid or a putter right at it (if you have the distance)?? If the basket is ever in your range of a disc that can land flat and stop rather than skip and go hard left or right or deep then you should throw that disc. Thats a huge part of the game. Why play a skip when you don't have to?

As far as this hole "getting the disc up to speed" argument goes.......Everbody who plays the game has different strengths and weaknesses.......If you are throwing 200-350 with 13 speed drivers, more than likely you have form or possible health issues and you should be throwing more understable slower plastic (if you want to get better). If you don't care to learn (because it is very frustratering because your game will suffer through the learning process) then don't learn. A lot of people who play the game (even good players) still don't really understand how to throw correctly and very few take the time to learn/practice and that is perfectly ok.

In conclusion.....the reason people who don't throw very far throw this high speed plastic has a lot to do with the fact that this kind of plastic covers up form issues because they are too overstable for the ones throwing them. It works for them.......which is perfectly ok if that person is ok with it. Will those people struggle with inconsistancy in their game..........absolutely. However if they are sitting in the rec/intermediate division for the rest of their disc golf life and they want to get better........then they are going to have to learn how to disc down, how to practice, what to practice and what they are truly doing wrong and why.

end rant.......carry on

If u r throwing understable high speed drivers 350 straight the disc isn't doing what it should because its not getting up to speed. i throw escapes just as far as i throw anything. by the way op... an escape would be a good option if u like teebirds i know its a 9 speed but its sneaky long and very easy to throw and i actually gain more than 5 ft of distance over my teebirds because i can get it UP TO SPEED very easily

A comet is the most effortless 300' I've thrown, just saying, I can't get drivers there with the same power. I'm not a power thrower and playing with putters and mids only, helped me add 100' to my drives. As a new player I went to high speed drivers too, but disced down pretty quickly and guys who had been throwing their katanas and swords for 250-350' holes a few years are still on the same level. Now I can beat them. It's up to you if you want to get better or not, but please, atleast do not whine for your bad scores. Sorry. Greets fom a euronewb.

a lighter star archon might fit your game, since you like the teebird.
archon is basically a "rip it" disc for your power level. It's pretty forgiving, and goes straight and far.
I agree with just getting a destroyer or trespass or something like that. Even though it's speed 12, you will love it.

And yes........If you can't throw 400+ there is no sense in having a 12/13 speed disc in your bag if you want it to do what it was "designed" to do. Why through a driver on a 300ft hole if you can throw a mid or a putter right at it (if you have the distance)?? If the basket is ever in your range of a disc that can land flat and stop rather than skip and go hard left or right or deep then you should throw that disc. Thats a huge part of the game. Why play a skip when you don't have to?

As far as this hole "getting the disc up to speed" argument goes.......Everbody who plays the game has different strengths and weaknesses.......If you are throwing 200-350 with 13 speed drivers, more than likely you have form or possible health issues and you should be throwing more understable slower plastic (if you want to get better). If you don't care to learn (because it is very frustratering because your game will suffer through the learning process) then don't learn. A lot of people who play the game (even good players) still don't really understand how to throw correctly and very few take the time to learn/practice and that is perfectly ok.

In conclusion.....the reason people who don't throw very far throw this high speed plastic has a lot to do with the fact that this kind of plastic covers up form issues because they are too overstable for the ones throwing them. It works for them.......which is perfectly ok if that person is ok with it. Will those people struggle with inconsistancy in their game..........absolutely. However if they are sitting in the rec/intermediate division for the rest of their disc golf life and they want to get better........then they are going to have to learn how to disc down, how to practice, what to practice and what they are truly doing wrong and why.

end rant.......carry on

:clap::hfive::thmbup:

Latest posts