• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Warning to Clubs. Avoid Fly18

Our Club has had similar issues dealing with Reece, but we eventually did receive the rubber we ordered. Is there another vendor for this type of rubber mats? We have a couple other projects in the works and would much rather not deal with him again.

I have had good conversation and nice sample product from Mightee pads. Can't speak for durability but the sample piece seems great. They will make any size pad you want at no extra cost. All pads were priced by the sq ft no matter what length or width you wanted.

http://rubbermats.com/golf-course-mats.php

Last edited:
I have had good conversation and nice sample product from Mightee pads. Can't speak for durability but the sample piece seems great. They will make any size pad you want at no extra cost. All pads were priced by the sq ft no matter what length or width you wanted.

http://rubbermats.com/golf-course-mats.php

We installed 9 of these on a trial basis a few years ago. They are much more durable than either the Fly 18 or Launch Pads, but they aren't nearly as porous so they don't allow water to pass through the pad which makes them MUCH slicker/more slippery than either of the other brands when wet. If you are installing these in a dry, desert environment these would be fine, but I would strongly not recommend these in any environment that sees even minimal moisture.

I remember when Reece sold his course to the community college in Council Bluffs, IA. He had them build the tees on 2x4 boxes filled with dirt, that were laid *on top* of the ground (instead of set flush). I think his reasoning for this was that they would work better when there was snow on the ground. Uh...

Question is how to lay out the carpet.. on a piece of salt treated plywood or what?

ideally over stone dust in a frame same as turf. we have just tacked it down on bare ground a bunch of places as well. i would not bother with plywood- will make it drain worse.

Again, what biscoe said. Wood frame filled with crushed stone. Compact and level the stone. Secure the carpet to the frame. I wish you could use regular tack strips to secure it, but the tack strips that I've seen wouldn't last a year outdoors.

I've long thought that a couple of pallets covered with carpet could make a cheap but effective portable tee. You would almost certainly have to add more top slats to create a safe base, but once you have that, tack some carpet on top. You could attach the pallets together or leave them unsecured and use the carpet as a hinge so the tee could be folded in half for transport.

I remember when Reece sold his course to the community college in Council Bluffs, IA. He had them build the tees on 2x4 boxes filled with dirt, that were laid *on top* of the ground (instead of set flush). I think his reasoning for this was that they would work better when there was snow on the ground. Uh...

I bet the reasoning was that it was easier/quicker/cheaper.

I've long thought that a couple of pallets covered with carpet could make a cheap but effective portable tee. You would almost certainly have to add more top slats to create a safe base, but once you have that, tack some carpet on top. You could attach the pallets together or leave them unsecured and use the carpet as a hinge so the tee could be folded in half for transport.

I have tried this- it is tough to get them to sit flat and (completely) still with people throwing off of them without a bunch of ground prep first- they tend to shift minutely. Doesn't take much more ground prep to be able to just put the carpet/turf out on the ground.

Wouldn't a pallet-based tee be raised uncomfortably high?

We tried something like that in a low spot, but the drop of the end was unnerving. We ended up just moving the tee, with promises to ourselves that we'll one day haul some fill dirt to the original location and fix the drainage. (Ours was a bridge remnant, so probably 5" high, a little more than a pallet)

If you know the right people you can find solid pallets, or long ones for larger material. Usually the ones you can get cheap/free are meant to be 'throw-away'. Often they will have a bit of warping to them.

I could see decent large pallets being a viable way to make a decent temp course. tee pad...if you have an off-road fork lift or grass friendly tractor/skidloader.

If you know how to burn belly fat with these fat burners and the right people you can find solid pallets, or long ones for larger material. Usually the ones you can get cheap/free are meant to be 'throw-away'. Often they will have a bit of warping to them.

I could see decent large pallets being a viable way to make a decent temp course. tee pad...if you have an off-road fork lift or grass friendly tractor/skidloader.
Are there any examples of what you're talking about, Uncle Pennybags? I'd love to see them.

Last edited:
I have tried this- it is tough to get them to sit flat and (completely) still with people throwing off of them without a bunch of ground prep first- they tend to shift minutely. Doesn't take much more ground prep to be able to just put the carpet/turf out on the ground.

Where I used to live, we had a grassy field and a scruffy wooded area just north of my property. We would set up a half-assed temp course mostly using the field, but with a few holes in the woods. One of the better holes was in the woods, but we rarely could play the best version because the preferred tee area was often too wet to throw from. We'd either move the tee up significantly or skip the hole entirely.

Since 99% of the land that we used was owned by the county or Canadian National, I tried to make as little impact as possible. Although I doubt CN would notice a bit of regrading in the woods, I wasn't going to make any land improvements. Hence the pallet tee idea. Some of the spots I was eyeing got so muddy that leveling would consist of stomping the pallets down into the muddy ground.

I got busy with work and kids and the temp course rarely got setup anymore. Eventually we moved. Never had a chance to put together the pallet tees. I defer to your experience regarding their utility. To David's point, a pallet tee would be elevated a few inches above grade which is never ideal.

I would never suggest the pallet tee as a permanent solution. I wanted to use them in a few places for my old temp course and thought they might be useful for other temp holes or when trying to dial in the best tee location for a new hole.

Good morning everyone!

Just wanted to reach out an give a warning for the gentleman Mr. Reese Swinea who runs Fly18 over at Fly18.com. He had essentially stolen nearly 3000$ of our clubs money. Accepted payment in 10/2018 for a new set of pads foro ur local course and has given us excuses and has not delivered the items. (He says he's in hospice). We sent an email from a bogus account the other day to place an "order" and he immediately responded stating he was able to fill the shipment. We have had to retain a lawyer to recoup our costs as he no longer responds to our calls. Be careful and don't go through this. Dozens of club members help raises these funds for this gentleman to try and steal them without consequence.

Is Reese is lying or dying?

Greg Hosfeld just posted:

IMPORTANT NOTICE to the Disc Golf Community!
PLEASE READ…
Many of my Facebook friends know of 'Fly18', which (to the best of my knowledge) was the first company to put disc golf on an active ball-golf course. And there are hundreds (possibly thousands) of 'FlyPad' rubber mats in use on golf and disc golf courses across the U.S.
Fly18 is owned by Reese Swinea.
Reese recently became ill with jaundice, which has now been discovered to be caused by stage 4 bile-duct cancer, which is rare and inoperable.
I spoke with him via phone a few nights ago, as he rested at his Mother's place in Boynton Beach, FL.
I'm not really in much of a position to help, other than to get the word out that he has 4 sets of disc golf targets, which are on loan to various golf courses, that he needs to sell (ASAP) to pay for medical bills and to make good on a couple of FlyPad orders that he hasn't been able to process.
A friend just purchased a set of 17 baskets, which were originally installed at Fly18's first course at Space Coast National golf course in Titusville.

The other 4 sets of baskets are in FL, PA, TN and CA. These are the White 'Dr Fred' baskets that became the signature of the Fly18 brand. Reese is willing to let these go for $100 each. (Firm)
There are those who don't care for these highly visible baskets, due to their lack of 'nubs', on the bucket rim. But they catch a well-executed putt as well as any basket out there.

I'm not certain how this will go down, as I just found out a few days ago, and have no idea (yet) how to implement the sales. (Not to mention that I'm drowning in my own issues right now)
Reese hasn't spoken of this to many of his plastic peeps, and, since he is not often on social media sites such as FB, he has given me permission to put out an APB.
I am doing my best to help, but the best thing I could do for him is to place this in the hands of someone who is a better organizer than I.
Please consider helping Reese out by buying a set of his baskets or finding someone who might be interested.

Some of you may recall the Disc Golf World News article (2004?) I wrote, about working the PGA convention and then attending the Playboy Charity Golf Tournament in L.A. That was all Fly18 and Reese Swinea. We were also featured on Spike TV's coverage of the event.
Disc golf on active golf courses is becoming a far more common occurrence these days, but it is usually a special treat to play. You can thank Reese for breaking that barrier, by helping him liquidate his stock of baskets.
Please keep in mind that I only found out about this recently and literally NONE of the details have been worked out for the remainder of the baskets.
Please feel free to reach out to me with anything you feel will be helpful. I'm looking into a "GoFundMe" account for Reese, and should know more later this week.
Thanks Frisbee Family!
Hos 1602

Why would he need to sell product to purchase product that he was already paid? If he received money for something, that alone should be sufficient to cover the cost of goods sold to ship the product.

The above post is screwy.

Why would he need to sell product to purchase product that he was already paid? If he received money for something, that alone should be sufficient to cover the cost of goods sold to ship the product.

The above post is screwy.

He's a bad business man is what I take away from it, health issues or not.

He basically killed this course before it ever really got going due to terrible non-regulation crappy joke-looking baskets and boring wide open design in an area that had amazing possibilities

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4291

I know those, Quest AT made those all plastic baskets back in the 2000's (yes they are PDGA legal or were at one point if they are not now for nothing over c tier range including doubles) when it was the old company before one in upper Illinois near Wisconsin border too it over and is making Z/Champion like plastic. Do not use those baskets, a cousin I introduced to the sport had one and after winter they broke a piece of plastic on the basket catcher. Even a Driftsun Typhoon would be a better basket at least it would be correct size in Basket for a B tier tournament and up if the only flaw is the basket is a little low sitting.

Greg Hosfeld just posted:

IMPORTANT NOTICE to the Disc Golf Community!
PLEASE READ…

The other 4 sets of baskets are in FL, PA, TN and CA. These are the White 'Dr Fred' baskets that became the signature of the Fly18 brand. Reese is willing to let these go for $100 each. (Firm)
There are those who don't care for these highly visible baskets, due to their lack of 'nubs', on the bucket rim. But they catch a well-executed putt as well as any basket out there.
Hos 1602

Any idea if the baskets in PA are from the former Timberlink course in Ligonier?

Latest posts