• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Washington, DC

Giles Run is great, If you play the pro tees, you'll really get your exercise. There's a lot of OB and you can lose discs very easily. The thorns are so tightly woven that if a disc goes in just a few feet, it's lost forever! Other than those hazards, The tee pads are amazing, almost too big. The baskets are all brand new. The course is great. There are no filler holes, they are all great and challenging.

This is DG Course Review. So I'd advise using the map search to see what is nearby. I haven't had time to review all of the local courses, but I've been slowly working on it. From Dupont, I'd say the places you should visit first are:

* Bluemont (close to home, amazing 9 hole)
* Seneca (plan to spend a whole day and love it, 27 holes with dual teeboxes, AWESOME)
* Giles Run (just down 95, though traffic can be really bad, but bring your A-game here, or you will bleed to death among the thorns).

After that, plan a day or two down to Gaithersburg/Spotsylvania for Loriella, Pratt, Hawk Hollow and The Grange -- awesome set of courses.

Plan a day west toward MD and play Patapsco, Rockburn and Druid Hill.

Plan a day to DE and hit Iron Hill and Brandywine.

Plan a day at Whispering Falls in PA (about 1.5 hours away).

And, plan a whole weekend at PawPaw out in WV (2.5 - 3 hours away, and the best place in the country to play).

I've got reviews up for most of those courses that go into a lot of detail, so feel free to check those out for more background info. Welcome to the area. I'm in Alexandria, so just across the river. Great bunch of locals around here. Also, check out www.novadiscgolf.com and www.md-discgolf.com for forums and calendars of local events.

Giles Run is a fantastic, course that is highly challenging for golfers of all abilities. The Pro/Pro is crazy hard, and you will walk/hike over 3 miles in the course of playing.

Hey guys, I just moved to Alexandria for the semester. I was wondering if anybody knows if there are courses near a metro stop in the Alexandria/DC area. I know bluemont is like a 1.5 miles from a metro stop, was wondering if there were any closer than that.

I do not have a vehicle with me so public transportation is the only way I can get anywhere, and I still havnt quite figured out all the metro stops and bus routes yet.

Any info will help, thanks.

Calvert is a short walk from the College Park Metro stop.

There is a bus that runs by Bluemont (the 28() runs by on Carlin Springs Rd. and stops near hole 7's tee. I work about two miles away and have taken the 28-something from work there to meet with friends. As previously mentioned, Calvert is a short walk from the College Park metro. Seneca is accessible via the bus from Rockville\Shady Grove, but be prepared to walk quite a ways as the course is pretty far into the park and the bus stop is at the entrance to the park.

I've got to go to DC for work mid-September. I'll probably be staying close to Union Station, and was wondering if I should bother packing a few discs for a round while I'm in town. I will be reliant on public transit, so I may check out the sites and watch the Braves take care of the Nats.

I've got to go to DC for work mid-September. I'll probably be staying close to Union Station, and was wondering if I should bother packing a few discs for a round while I'm in town. I will be reliant on public transit, so I may check out the sites and watch the Braves take care of the Nats.

When in September will you be in town? I would be happy to take you out to Rockburn Branch or Patapsco Valley, but I have a business trip to Philly Sept. 19th thru the 26th. If the timing is right, let me know.

Hey guys,

I am moving to Arlington next week and was wondering if there was any fall leagues coming up/what courses to check out. I've played Bluemont a lot since its near my gf's house but I am used to playing Bryan Park in Richmond and Charlotte courses, so I am looking for challenges more similar to those. I've been pretty transient since I graduated but am planning to settle down in Arlington for the foreseeable future and hope to get into some competitive play.

Thanks!

Va Disc golf

I am going to be in Alexandria the 12th-18th of October this year. I a m really interested in getting some disc golf in during my time there. So from what I have read here I should check out ; Seneca, bluemont, and maybe Giles run. I will be sueing public transit for the better part. So does this sound like the path I should go through the courses? Any info that may help is appreciated. Also I am having trouble running down the Giles run webpage. Can anyone educated better than I please post me a link to it. :p
Thanks!

Friend in NE DC/Northern Virginia Area

This is DG Course Review. So I'd advise using the map search to see what is nearby. I haven't had time to review all of the local courses, but I've been slowly working on it. From Dupont, I'd say the places you should visit first are:

* Bluemont (close to home, amazing 9 hole)
* Seneca (plan to spend a whole day and love it, 27 holes with dual teeboxes, AWESOME)
* Giles Run (just down 95, though traffic can be really bad, but bring your A-game here, or you will bleed to death among the thorns).

After that, plan a day or two down to Gaithersburg/Spotsylvania for Loriella, Pratt, Hawk Hollow and The Grange -- awesome set of courses.

Plan a day west toward MD and play Patapsco, Rockburn and Druid Hill.

Plan a day to DE and hit Iron Hill and Brandywine.

Plan a day at Whispering Falls in PA (about 1.5 hours away).

And, plan a whole weekend at PawPaw out in WV (2.5 - 3 hours away, and the best place in the country to play).

I've got reviews up for most of those courses that go into a lot of detail, so feel free to check those out for more background info. Welcome to the area. I'm in Alexandria, so just across the river. Great bunch of locals around here. Also, check out www.novadiscgolf.com and www.md-discgolf.com for forums and calendars of local events.

Hey all,

I have a friend located in NE DC/Northern Virginia Area. He is coming to Nicaragua around August 18th. We are working with the PDGA Marco Polo Grant and would really welcome any donations to get discs into the hands of the locals at our community courses and instructional clinics. He would have one large stowed bag possible to fill with discs, minis, stickers, banners, bags, etc.) Are there any clubs or movers and shakers in the area that may be interested in helping with the cause?

Thank you for the consideration,

Jason Hendrickson

Latest posts