• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Weekday 1-day Tourneys

Why not a two-round, two-day C-tier on, say, a Wednesday/Thursday where each round starts at 5:30 or 6:00pm?
Because if you can only make one of the two days, going to the one you can attend is pointless. A lot of two day weekend tournaments lose potential customers for the same reason.

C-Tiers have a minimum number of holes, 36.
The PDGA has done an exception to that rule on a number of occasions.

dm494n.jpg

I've also see a few Friday afternoon 1-round C-tiers, run preceding bigger weekend events at the same location.

They usually run a couple 1 round c tiers at various courses leading up to Bowling Green Ams as well, seems like a "requirement" that they don't really mind waiving.

The PDGA has done an exception to that rule on a number of occasions.

dm494n.jpg

The ones in Charlotte were part of a larger event that weekend ran by DD.

The one at the Nest was a warmup for the Clash, and Elon for the CAC.

Those Bowling Green ones are probably similar.

seems like a "requirement" that they don't really mind waiving.

I don't think they mind waving ANY requirement as long as the money comes in. I've played in far too many tournaments in my 1 year in the PDGA that haven't met requirements... mostly the A-tier, NT, and Major stuff.

Examples:
Inconsistent tee pads
Different types of baskets on the same course
Not playing OB by rules book
Distance between courses much further than called out in the guidelines

So basically... if you're willing to pay them the player and sanctioning fee, you can pretty much do what you like within reason... just ask Big Dog for a waiver. Then again, I know many TDs who never ask and it never comes up. Applying for Majors would be the hurdle and still there are examples where the guidelines are overlooked.

The ones in Charlotte were part of a larger event that weekend ran by DD.

The one at the Nest was a warmup for the Clash, and Elon for the CAC.

Those Bowling Green ones are probably similar.

They are all warm ups to a bigger weekend tournament, but they're still C-tiers with less than 36 holes. I'm certainly not implying that the OP would have the ability to do such on a random Thursday.

They are all warm ups to a bigger weekend tournament, but they're still C-tiers with less than 36 holes. I'm certainly not implying that the OP would have the ability to do such on a random Thursday.
I'll find out. It's worth a shot to see what they would like to have for something like this.

Last edited:
Realistically, I don't know why anyone already facing the challenge of getting people to the tournament because its on their workday, would want to potentially chase even more people off with sanctioning it as a C tier, effectively forcing non members to pay an extra $10 fee, and over one round no less.

Realistically, I don't know why anyone already facing the challenge of getting people to the tournament because its on their workday, would want to potentially chase even more people off with sanctioning it as a C tier, effectively forcing non members to pay an extra $10 fee, and over one round no less.

That's a fair point, but I wonder if that's actually a bigger factor than the people who would be brought in because it was sanctioned. I think the answer probably depends on the area you're in and how popular/prevalent PDGA membership is.

Go Loco!

We do a local money $$ tourney almost every day of the week around here! OK they are not sanctioned by the PDGA but the cash won is still green! :p

There alot of players, but alot of people have no idea about tournaments, or the PDGA really. I think to many times a tourney is created and then no gournd beating is done to drum it up in the area, this is coming from my area. I played for years before I ever found out about the PDGA tourneys in the area or the PDGA and how big it actually is.

That's a fair point, but I wonder if that's actually a bigger factor than the people who would be brought in because it was sanctioned. I think the answer probably depends on the area you're in and how popular/prevalent PDGA membership is.
But how many people in a particular area have both a PDGA membership and the proper weekday off, or can get the tournament day off on leave? To me, you're going to lose a lot of the PDGA folks who can't manage that, therefore its best to make up for those folks with non-PDGA people who can make it.

There alot of players, but alot of people have no idea about tournaments, or the PDGA really. I think to many times a tourney is created and then no gournd beating is done to drum it up in the area, this is coming from my area. I played for years before I ever found out about the PDGA tourneys in the area or the PDGA and how big it actually is.
Which to me is just one more point against sanctioning. Really, the only argument for sanctioning would be for the insurance.

To me, the best way to gauge demand for such an event, and how to go about it, would be to start with a simple off the cuff gathering of a few people. You meet other players at the course, and start discussing what times would work best for a bigger gathering. Then if you have enough steam, you pick a date and time.

You may be able to get sanctioned as an XC event (experimental).

Might even be able to do flex start BYOP doubles or something.

I'd just add: don't wait until after so-called "work hours". Have it during the day so the evening is still free for other leagues or family time.

I say other leagues, because I'd prefer a regular PDGA sanctioned league to a one-time tournament. On any given weekday, even those without real jobs can be called away on late notice, because that's when most stuff happens.

But I'd still be more likely to be able to go to a weekday tournament than a weekend tournament.

But alot of people like the fanfare, it alone is a draw. Shoiwing up on a league for one night can feel akward for some people. I also see alot of use on the courses after work on the weekdays which made me think of this.

Why not a two-round, two-day C-tier on, say, Wednesday/Thursday where each round starts at 5:30 or 6:00pm?

We recently ran a two-round, two-day C-tier like this on two of our local courses. Our typical weekend tournaments usually fill at whatever cap we set (72 or 90 players), but the mid-week tournament still had about 35 people.

The problem was that it wasn't your typical tournament crowd. Like MNthrow says, the fanfare of a tournament is sometimes the draw, and the weeknight tournament didn't have the same feel. It felt more like a typical evening league, not a real tournament, and play was much too casual for a PDGA sanctioned event.

It's all an idea I've had from as I said before, there are so many people now that don't have Monday-Friday jobs anymore. Just about anyone who works in retail/hospitality/food serive ect.. will work at least one weekend day usually and has to miss basically every tournament out there. We're always talking about how the PDGA needs new ideas to grow and develop.

It's all an idea I've had from as I said before, there are so many people now that don't have Monday-Friday jobs anymore. Just about anyone who works in retail/hospitality/food serive ect.. will work at least one weekend day usually and has to miss basically every tournament out there. We're always talking about how the PDGA needs new ideas to grow and develop.
And I like the idea. But there are two weekend days, which still a great majority of folks have at least one if not both off, and five weekday days, which those of us with nontraditional schedules are scattered all about. For a weekday tournament to work, you'd have to have enough people on one of those particular weekdays available.