• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Weirdest disc bagged by a pro?

The Blowfly goes from uncommon to weird when someone folds it into a ball and throws it like a softball.

It's not just that. The mold is legitimately odd, or at least a relic of old-school disc design.

There are quite a few Rings of Hedrick packed on the top wing bevel. And the shape is very angular in general. From bottom bevel to nose to top bevel to flight plate, lots of straight lines and abrupt corners.

dga-blowfly1-putt-approach-sig-line-disc-hero.jpg

It would probably feel pretty uncomfortable in the hand, except that they ONLY mold these in the super flexible rubber material. That by itself is unique.

And, FWIW, the inner rim is super plussy. Tough to see in the picture above.

I always thought it would've been cool for Steady Ed to actually record a message in the grooves of those rings on the Blowflies and whatnot so you could put it on your record player and hear him say, for example, "He or she who has the most fun wins."

I always thought it would've been cool for Steady Ed to actually record a message in the grooves of those rings on the Blowflies and whatnot so you could put it on your record player and hear him say, for example, "He or she who has the most fun wins."

Am I the only one who has actually put a Frisbee on a turntable and listened to it?

The Dart is weird?

I prefer the feel of the Blowfly II and the Gumbputt. The rim is considerably more mellow.
Me, too!

I usually carry three putters: an R-Pro Dart, a Blowfly II, and a Gumbputt. Gumbputt took the place of the Blowfly mostly because of the brighter colors. Blowfly II is my normal go to. Occasionally I'll carry a Star Dart or a Polecat. If those are weird, then that's okay, Weird and I been hangin' out together for a long time....

What does "super plussy " ? Mean?

A disc with a plus mold is one where the inside of the rim is slanted rather than vertical. Specifically, the inner rim slants out so that the bottom of the inner rim has a greater diameter than the upper part of the inside rim.

It is actually normal for discs to have a slightly plus molded inner rim, because this makes it easier to release the disc from the injection molding machine. A super plussy rim has a more slanted inner rim than most discs.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who has actually put a Frisbee on a turntable and listened to it?

I've thrown plenty of vinyl records like Frisbees too! Got a huge trash can full of free LP's in awful, awful condition (a handful were salvageable), so Wildman (of Wild Haven) and I found ourselves winging them in my back yard about 15 years ago. They fly like tie fighters from Star Wars...

I've thrown plenty of vinyl records like Frisbees too! Got a huge trash can full of free LP's in awful, awful condition (a handful were salvageable), so Wildman (of Wild Haven) and I found ourselves winging them in my back yard about 15 years ago. They fly like tie fighters from Star Wars...

But, as shown in the movie Shaun of the Dead, vinyl records do not serve as especially effective weapons against zombies. :p

DOTR1H2UEAAgwCv.jpg

Looks like something on the Asylum label there? Or maybe MCA after about 1980? Not sure I see a small rainbow, so I'm going with Asylum. Maybe it's Warren Zevon!! The Excitable Boy would approve...

This guy named Barry Schultz throws leopards too. He's done pretty well in disc golf.

There's nothing weird about a Leopard.

The exception proves the rule I suppose.

Latest posts