• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Welcome Back to Disc Golf, Me

Broken Shoulder

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
Hello everyone.
I'm in Minnesota, and I fell off the wagon. :) Here's my story.

I found disc golf around 1995 when my brother-in-law moved here from Florida. Started in juniors and moved up to Advanced Am. We played a few regional tournaments and went to both the '98 and '99 Am Worlds, and though we finished lower half, we had a great time. In '99 I blew out my shoulder playing basketball. Complete dislocation, broken humerus, torn rotator cuff and damage to ligaments/tendons. I had surgery to clean out the joint, but I've had 7 dislocations and a fractured shoulder socket since then. Point is, my shoulder is junk. In the early 2000's, my sister and BIL moved to Memphis, I wasn't able to throw, and I quit playing. But I kept that old Gateway bag full of DX plastic.

Fast forward to this summer. My sister and BIL moved back to MN. In early July, while cleaning up the garage, I came across that old Gateway bag and my milk crate of beat up goodies, and called my BIL. We headed out to Blue Ribbon Pines because we're both within 15 minutes of it and it was new to us. That's all it took. Now I've got the new Lat Pro bag, we've both got a stack of new plastic, and we both have practice baskets.

I've been lurking on the site for a while now, reading a lot of opinions/descriptions on all the new plastic that's out there. Champion and Star didn't exist when we stopped playing. At least, if it did, we'd never seen it. And I've spent time on DGR as well, reading a lot of Blake T's stuff on technique. Absorbing a lot, but finally decided to forge ahead and join up. And I apologize for posting out of turn, but I got the sweetest white/black swirly Zero Soft Pure at GGGT this weekend, so I had to post it in the Lat thread.

Sorry for the ramble. Guess I had to define myself as a site newbie, not a sport newbie. I'm back in it now. :clap:

Welcome back! What kept you so long? :p
Kidding side, that sounds like quite an ordeal (and then some). Glad you're able to enjoy it again. :hfive:

Last edited:
Thanks, glad to be back.

The arm is holding up pretty well. I've learned a few things though. I cannot throw a sky roller or an anhyzer with a pronounced lean back. I've adjusted slightly to where I pull a little lower through my core than up higher on my chest, and this works pretty well. I like to hyzer flip for distance anyway, so it's very conducive to that. I'm integrating a forehand in (strong baseball background) so that's going pretty well too, and can cover a lot of my left-to-right shots. Closed shoulder snap drills and Beato elbow chops are NOT doable for me either. Basically, I just have to be smart. That rare occurrence where I'd need a shot that's too hard on my arm, I just eat the stroke. Part of growing up I guess.