• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Westside Black Basket

Thanks for the review! You've got a nice collection of baskets!
One question, and I'm not trying to be a smartass, im genuinely curious.
You said:

Considering the sun is over 92 million miles away, have you noticed that things fade quicker at that elevation? Does it have more to do with the air being thinner up there than the comparitively small difference in elevation?

Sorry to sidetrack here, just something I was wondering about. :hfive:

Thanks! It is a very happy family of baskets.
As to the science. Dunno, my sunburn sure hurts though.

Thanks! It is a very happy family of baskets.
As to the science. Dunno, my sunburn sure hurts though.

Yeah, i dont know the science either, was just curious if things really fade faster up there.

Also, im really jealous of your yard/view. I worked at bever creek for a season setting up skis in a rental shop. Reeaaallly miss CO. :thmbup:

just bought this a few days ago. Very simple to put together and seems pretty sturdy. Chains are really heavy but the basket is easy to move around. One thing, the chains themselves make quite a bit of noise so if you dont have an outdoor space to put it in or somewhere where noise is not an issue, it will require some dampening. Cant beat it for 170 price tag

Yeah, i dont know the science either, was just curious if things really fade faster up there.

Also, im really jealous of your yard/view. I worked at bever creek for a season setting up skis in a rental shop. Reeaaallly miss CO. :thmbup:

You're probably more concerned with UV (Ultraviolet) radiation. Quick answer from the EPA:

UV intensity increases about 6% per kilometer elevation above sea level.

Pretty sweet basket, I used one for the first time today. Has a different noise then other baskets, but caught real good. Here is a couple pics of the one at my friend's course:

picture.php

picture.php

Saw one in person at the Pyramids DGC/Marshall St store. It is very Costco-esque but with a much better upper half. Same noisy threaded rod post and base.

Considering the sun is over 92 million miles away, have you noticed that things fade quicker at that elevation? Does it have more to do with the air being thinner up there than the comparitively small difference in elevation?

Sorry to sidetrack here, just something I was wondering about. :hfive:

You hit the nail on the head here. It may have something to do with the atmosphere or even barometric pressure. I don't believe it is related to being closer to the sun.

KM

Was lucky enough to get this basket for X-mas. Took advantage of a sunny brown winter day to try it in the back yard and alley. Very nice, easy to move around, it behaves like a standard basket should, i.e. it catches the discs pretty nicely.

You hit the nail on the head here. It may have something to do with the atmosphere or even barometric pressure. I don't believe it is related to being closer to the sun.

KM

It has to do with the fact that as you get closer to sea level the air pressure goes up, thus the air is thicker. Thicker air will absorb more solar energy than thinner air.

Example. Got burned by the sun after 1 hour at midday when sun was directly overhead.
A week before i was out for four hours in the afternoon 4pm -8pm didn't get as burned

With the sun overhead the column of air that the sun is passing through is at its thinnest ie only the air above your head, if that air is filled with particulate matter ie smoke it will block out even more solar energy.

In the early morning or afternoon the sun is at a low angle and as such the solar energy has a longer way to travel through the atmosphere so more of its energy has a chance to be absorbed.

Imagine it this way, you stick a pin into an orange at a 90 degree angle (perpindicular) to the peel. The pin doesn't have to go in very far before it sticks through the peel into the flesh of the orange.

Then you take the same pin and carefully insert it on a low angle, almost flat to the peel. you could probably get the entire pin to dissapear into the peel without it hitting the flesh.

More exposure to the air in the atmosphere means more chances to absorb UV radiation, translates into less fading at lower altitudes and less sunburn in the morning or afternoon.

Make sense?

I may try one of these as a cheap practice basket once I bank enough league funds.

Latest posts