• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Wham-O 86 Softie

McJesus

Double Eagle Member
The only other thread I could find about this was 3 years old and necro-threads aren't my thing. So, I had a few questions about this disc, mainly who still throws these, for what kind of shots, and outside of putting how do they perform for touch, upshots, and driving?

It's a touch disc. If you have the touch, you can use it for putts and upshots. Driving is kinda dicey since they are flippy little bitches but it can be done.

I never developed the touch. I putted with them for years. It was the most confounding disc I ever used. It used to dance it's way toward the chains, only to drop or jump or fade or flip ever so slightly as to miss the sweet spot right before impact. Then it would fall helplessly to the ground. Usually on an edge. :|

I have on in my bag, and have a small stack at home. These things are MONEY!! I use mine for uphill or anhyzer putts. I agree with the "touch" comment though. They are definitely a touchy disc, especially for driving, definitely not something you want to use in any kind of wind. I do have a buddy that drives with them though and I've seen him throw some sexy drives with it. The only time I throw it any kind of distance is for catch, and after a few warm-up throws I can generally get some nice long lines with it.

I've been using them for 25 years. They keep floating when other discs would drop. Have a good grip, hit the sweet spot nicely and I do not have the problem 3 putt described.

I've been using them for 25 years. They keep floating when other discs would drop. Have a good grip, hit the sweet spot nicely and I do not have the problem 3 putt described.
I knew a lot of people that used them for a long time. I used them because they had success with them. It's just not a disc like an Aviar where you would expect most people could pick it up and be successful with it right away. You have to figure it out. I never did.

It's a touch disc. If you have the touch, you can use it for putts and upshots. Driving is kinda dicey since they are flippy little bitches but it can be done.

I never developed the touch. I putted with them for years. It was the most confounding disc I ever used. It used to dance it's way toward the chains, only to drop or jump or fade or flip ever so slightly as to miss the sweet spot right before impact. Then it would fall helplessly to the ground. Usually on an edge. :|

That's the same way the Blowfly was for me. It was very touchy and really all I use it for now is certain approaches and turbo putts.

I knew a lot of people that used them for a long time. I used them because they had success with them. It's just not a disc like an Aviar where you would expect most people could pick it up and be successful with it right away. You have to figure it out. I never did.

I should point out the only 86 Softies I have and use are the first run. They were not as deep as all runs after that and they are a bit more stiff. Not Roc stiff but relative to all the other 86 Softies after the first run, they're stiff(er).

I didn't like how deep and cushy/soft the later runs were. I got a stack of the 1st runs from the 88 Worlds and still have about 9 left.
I have never lost one, I don't drive with them but they are sweet for a short controlled approach.

I found a brand new one last year from a local and grabbed it. I put it in my bag and turns out I didn't like it. I had to get one of my old beat to hell 86 and put it back in my bag.
I left them at home one day this past summer when I went out to play golf, it was like not having my security blanket. It really messed up my game that day.

My point is my opinion on the 86 Softies is completely bias. I can't play without one in my bag. :)

Attachments

• 86 Softies.jpg
    86 Softies.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 113
Most Softies are black.
This was Steve Wisecup's main putter until he got sponsored. There's even a Wisecup 86 Softie out there after he won the Worlds that is not black. Shortly after that disc came out he got sponsored and couldn't use them anymore.

I played with a guy a couple weeks ago that had a white 86 in his bag, and two more at home. Same stamp as the two in the middle of Jay's pic.

I have a white 86 Softie with a bogey chomper/bogey biter (not sure what the legit name is) stamp. I only have it because I love the stamp.

Are most of them black? I only have one & its black.
I played in a league with Dave West (he is on the PDGA BoD now) where we played 36 at a pitch 'n putt with a 6:00 pm tee. Other than for about four weeks in the summer you had to play glow to get 36 in. Dave putted with black 150g 86 Softies. I used to root for my opponent to make his putt when Dave putted in the dark; when he made it we didn't have to search around for the damn black 86 Softie in the dark. :|

I should point out the only 86 Softies I have and use are the first run. They were not as deep as all runs after that and they are a bit more stiff. Not Roc stiff but relative to all the other 86 Softies after the first run, they're stiff(er).

I didn't like how deep and cushy/soft the later runs were. I got a stack of the 1st runs from the 88 Worlds and still have about 9 left.
I have never lost one, I don't drive with them but they are sweet for a short controlled approach.

I found a brand new one last year from a local and grabbed it. I put it in my bag and turns out I didn't like it. I had to get one of my old beat to hell 86 and put it back in my bag.
I left them at home one day this past summer when I went out to play golf, it was like not having my security blanket. It really messed up my game that day.

My point is my opinion on the 86 Softies is completely bias. I can't play without one in my bag. :)
The only ones I really liked were the butter putters that came out late 90's. I think I kept one of those. By the time that those came out, I already knew I couldn't really throw an 86. I liked the feel, though.

I still keep mine around. Mainly around the practice basket but I'll probably keep them forever.

Attachments

• CYMERA_20131205_233353.jpg
    CYMERA_20131205_233353.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 45
I traded my throwers a few years ago. I had several with the bogie beater stamp that were sold. I know I had at least eight of them at one point. I'm down to two. Even though I don't throw them anymore, only having two is not a good feeling.

I know somebody who putts and throws upshots with these. He throws them so nose up they are almost vertical, but they go dead straight and either go in or just die out and drop right in front of the basket. I've never seen anything like it.

white no low putts 86

i have a white one with a no low putts stamp. its old school in great condition, value??

Latest posts