• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What age did you start playing disc golf?

What age did you start playing?

• 0-9

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 10-13

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • 14-18

Votes: 46 14.2%
  • 19-23

Votes: 77 23.8%
  • 24-29

Votes: 45 13.9%
  • 30-39

Votes: 64 19.8%
  • 40-49

Votes: 42 13.0%
  • 50+

Votes: 33 10.2%

• Total voters
I've lived about a dozen miles from both Sylmar and Oak Grove for my entire life. Didn't find out about the game before 2005 and I'm 43 years old. Also, I've always been fairly good at throwing a frisbee. Wish I'd found out about it 10-15 years earlier than I did.

just like so many other's experience in this thread I found it late and lived 10min away from an excellent disc golf course for a year and a half before finally figuring out what those damn baskets were used for.

I'm glad I found it even if relatively late into my 30's.

36. We bought our house, which just happens to be on a one block street, with a nature park (with a 9 hole course) at the end of it. Once we got our dog, I started walking her through and around the park. Kept finding discs all over the place. Returned a bunch, but still ended up with a stack of about 12 in the garage...so I figured, what the hey, I'll try this out.

That was four years ago. I now have far more than 12 frisbees, and the 9 hole course is 18, with some design help from me.

Saw a short pitch-n-putt, went to Dick's to buy a Wham-o and came across this Innova rack with all these cool discs!

Bought a Shark because it felt closest to what I remember a Frisbee felt like and I was off!

32.. Threw my first round at Lincoln Ridge on Aug 9th 2013. My coworker from Austin was in town and wanted to play the course but he didn't have a ride. Told him I wanted to try it out so we went and I got hooked. Wish I would have discovered it in college. Better late than never though.

First played when I was about 12. Forgot about the game until I was about 29. Then due to injury, I took a few years off. Started playing regularly at age 41.

Can I brag on my dad? He came to see me play the Senior Olympics in Cleveland in 2013, and saw an 85 year old woman playing. Figured he could probably play, so jokingly offered to try the next time. This summer, in Minneapolis, he took the gold medal for his age group on his 80th birthday. He had thrown his first round on Thursday with me on the way there. It's perfectly fine that the main reason he won a gold was that he was the only guy in his age group, isn't it?

I started at the ripe age of 15 in 2002. I was on my way to visit my family in West Lafeyette, IN. On the way there one of my cousins that was driving back with us asked my dad and I if we had ever heard of 'disc golf'. I played a TON of ball golf at the time so I looked at him rather puzzled and spent the next 4 hours asking tons of questions. We played Ross Hills and Murdoch that weekend and I instantly fell in love with the game.

I'll be 28 next month and the biggest layoff I have ever had between rounds was no more than 3 months. :)

Last edited:
I was 50 when I started playing.
My two youngest sons were both home from college for the summer. We were looking for a cheap activity that would allow us time to hang out and talk and have some fun. DG was perfect.
Both my sons have quit playing but I'm still going strong at 57.

Started at the ripe young age of 30. First heard about DG since about 21, but never bothered to check it out.

Wish I had known how well established things were around here, I'd probably have started a few years earlier and would have some boutique plastic in my collection by now.

23-24ish. Wish I would have known when I was still in college or high school.

started in '97 when I was 17. I have since given up several vices acquired in my youth, but DG has more than absorbed any freed up money. wish I hadn't liquidated my original collection in '02-'03, though.

Sometime in the mid-1970s I started playing casually on pole courses with giant Wham-Os, age 10. Would play a few times in the summer over the years.
In 2010 a co-worker said he played & invited me to play. Now I've been playing competitively for the past 3 years.

Played a lot starting my 3rd year in college, '79-'80, during which time I turned 21. But it really didn't become a constant pasttime (nor did I throw "real" DG discs) till 2002.

Cool question!

Started when I was 29 or 30. Was looking for an activity that my wife and I could enjoy together. Really wish I had started playing when I was a kid. My son is almost 2 and love to "throw" the discs into the basket. Hopefully he likes it as much as I do when he gets older.

Interesting to see the second peak in the distribution in the 30's.

I saw baskets in Adler Park, Libertyvillle, IL in the late 80's or early 90's, but never played.

Playing Ultimate in high school, college, grad school, at some point I had disc golf on my radar as something that would be cool to check out when I was older.

On vacation at a wedding, I played a couple rounds with a friend at Cameron Parc, Waco, TX in 2009 when I was 30. Didn't really get into it until two years later, when the same friend came to visit me, and we played Rogers Lakewood, Valparaiso, IN.

Latest posts